Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty diesel in Midleton

Options
  • 17-08-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

My car is in the garage since yesterday. It's only 2 years old with only 18000km on the clock. It's costing me €700 as the fuel tank, hoses etc are wrecked from dirty diesel. I fill my car in one garage in Midleton, and never let it run low.

I'm horrified at how much this is costing me for a relatively new car. I'm also horrified that it's due to fuel that comes from what appears to be a reputable filling station. I'm not going to name the filling station until I get my fuel sample tested but it can be the only suspect as I never fill up the car anywhere else.

Can someone recommend a filling station where I'm guaranteed to get good, clean fuel? I can't afford to be paying this sort of money to clean out the fuel tank again

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nearly all name-brand garages have normal, regular fuel, the only ones that have crap are the no-name cheapies.

If you've filled in the same place all along, how has this happened all of a sudden? Have you confronted them? Have they admitted a change of supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nikster

dahamsta wrote: »
    Nearly all name-brand garages have normal, regular fuel, the only ones that have crap are the no-name cheapies.

If you've filled in the same place all along, how has this happened all of a sudden? Have you confronted them? Have they admitted a change of supplier?

It is a busy name-brand garage I fill from all the time. Had a few probs with loss of power a few months ago but it was random. Had it taken to be checked out but no faults found in the car. This time the car just cut out on a busy road and I was lucky I wasn't killed so made sure that it was properly looked at. Fault found this time was problem with fuel supply so the tank was taken out and was full of gunk from dirty fuel. I'll be collecting the car tomorrow and will confront the filling station when I have all the details from the garage. They are also giving me a sample of the crap they found in the tank.

I ALWAYS fill in the same place and can't be accused of aggravating the problem as I have never seen the fuel light in the car. I always fill up in plenty of time

I just don't know where I'm going to go to get diesel in the future. The whole situation is making me feel quite bewildered

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Strange situation but I'm not surprised. There is a big difference in the colour of diesel across different garages. You can get diesel from a white to a dirty yellow in differing places. I wonder if your garage let the supply tanks run down and the offending sludge came from the bottom of the tanks?

I got the car back and a sample of the offending crap from the fuel tank. I just can't figure out how to post a pic of the sample on boards.
    It looks like it's clumps of organic matter or something similar

Click Post Reply, then Manage Attachments under the post form.

I wouldn't buy fuel in Midleton in any event, the prices are ridiculous. The filling station on Aghada pier is the closest with a decent price, but I tend to buy my fuel in Youghal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I wouldn't buy fuel in Midleton in any event, the prices are ridiculous. The filling station on Aghada pier is the closest with a decent price, but I tend to buy my fuel in Youghal.

All prices in midleton are nuts. I buy where fuel is cheapest, and I find the closer you go to the city, the cheaper it gets(tivoli being the exception).

O.P, when was your car serviced last?

Thanks. I'll post a pic when I get back onto the PC tomorrow. Limited with things on the phone.

The prices in Midleton are ridiculous. I think all the filling stations have some scheme sorted between themselves. There's no competition. I'll be on the lookout for somewhere else to fill but I don't really leave Midleton much on a regular basis

Thanks. I'll post a pic when I get back onto the PC tomorrow. Limited with things on the phone.

The prices in Midleton are ridiculous. I think all the filling stations have some scheme sorted between themselves. There's no competition. I'll be on the lookout for somewhere else to fill but I don't really leave Midleton much on a regular basis

All prices in midleton are nuts. I buy where fuel is cheapest, and I find the closer you go to the city, the cheaper it gets(tivoli being the exception).

O.P, when was your car serviced last?

My car got it's yearly service this week. It just happened to coincide with the problem of my car cutting out on a busy road and finding the dirty fuel. It's last service was last August. I'm very careful with the car as it belonged to my mother who died last year. The woman didn't get much of a chance to drive it as she got sick soon after purchasing it (hence the low mileage). I do everything by the book as I owe it to her to keep the car in tip top condition. I wouldn't have such a lovely car if it wasn't for her

This is a pic of the sample of what was in my fuel tank

• Advertisement

Is it a toyota auris by any chance?

Is it a toyota auris by any chance?

No, it's a Volvo S40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Nikster wrote: »
    This is a pic of the sample of what was in my fuel tank

Holy mother of God......:eek::eek::eek:

OP you should post this in Motors, you might get a better response...

Thats shocking alltogether.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Nikster wrote: »

I've contacted the Competition Authority about the cartel operating in Midleton. They rang back to say they are looking in to it. A few more complaints wouldn't go amiss......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's been linked to in motors. OP, any chance you'd PM me the name so I can potentially avoid it in future? That's shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

It does look like sludge from the bottom of the station tank alright. No excuse for that.
    Hopefully you will be lucky and not have done any damage to the injectors. With sludge that heavy the diesel filter should have stopped the flow of fuel and hence the stopping car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

EPM wrote: »
    It's been linked to in motors. OP, any chance you'd PM me the name so I can potentially avoid it in future? That's shockingly bad.

Aye, same here. I avoid Midleton like the plague anyway because of the prices, but if its dirty too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

whiterebel wrote: »
    Aye, same here. I avoid Midleton like the plague anyway because of the prices, but if its dirty too.....

I was under the impression Midleton was known for having relatively cheap prices?! Don't be round there too much recently but used usually find it a couple of cent cheaper than the city.

Somewhat off topic: new GreatGas station on Kinsale Rd (Turners Cross Motors site) doing petrol 1.459 and diesel 1.369.

I was under the impression Midleton was known for having relatively cheap prices?

Nope. I've lived in east Cork for nearly 5 years now, and Midleton has always been too expensive. The two garages on the Cork Road in particular are an absolute disgrace in the way they copy each other's pricing.

Nope. I've lived in east Cork for nearly 5 years now, and Midleton has always been too expensive. The two garages on the Cork Road in particular are an absolute disgrace in the way they copy each other's pricing.

If you are on the N25, either get petrol at the Island Gate, or continue to Youghal. Anywhere in between is normally up to 4c more expensive per litre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

If you are on the N25, either get petrol at the Island Gate, or continue to Youghal. Anywhere in between is normally up to 4c more expensive per litre.

Its quite amazing that Midleton is dearer for fuel than places up the country when its so close the Whitegate. I suppose its like Clonmel, thats the dearest place to buy a pint of Bulmers apparently..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Its quite amazing that Midleton is dearer for fuel than places up the country when its so close the Whitegate. I suppose its like Clonmel, thats the dearest place to buy a pint of Bulmers apparently..

The Pier in Aghada should definitely be the cheapest in the country as they proudly proclaim they get their fuel from Whitegate, 3 miles down the road.
    However they are usually pretty close to, if not the same as, midleton.
    No gunk in the tank though.

They were very cheap until a few years ago. When the shop at the top of the town (Nevilles?) had to get rid of its pumps, the other garages put their prices up, and when Topaz took over the Statoil and the Shell, went nuts completely.

Normally all 4 garages use the same prices, but Texaco has been cheaper for a few weeks now, so i wonder if they've had a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 roadwarrior666

Wouldn't go near the pier station a few engines have been wrecked by that one from ****e fuel. My neighbours cousin was a mechanic there for years. I'm having similar trouble at the moment put €700 into my car yesterday due to bad diesel 2 Injectors a egr valve and drained tank the diesel looked like old dish water only get my fuel from 3 stations in Midleton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

OP, which filling station is this? I'd prefer to avoid it. PM me if you don't want to publicly post the name. Cheers.

Advertisement