Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 quid to park at brittas

Options
  • 12-08-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a wicklow native, but as a kid we used to go to brittas bay every summer..so the other day for old times sake i popped down there for a swim.

Couldn't believe it when some gruff polish guy told me i had to cough up 4 quid to park:rolleyes: how long has this being going on? is it co. council sanctioned?

If it was 2 quid i wouldn't mind so much but 4 in these times is a bit much..not only that but the beach isn't anything special anyway, seemed nicer when i was a kid (rose tinted glasses).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Personally I love the beach in Brittas and its a great spot to bring the kids. I agree €4 is pricey. I usually park along the road a few hundred meters past the car park. However since the charge came in the toilets are now really well kept and the area is kept much tidier.
    The same thing happened at the upper carpark at Glendalough. You gotta pay €4 but the toilets get cleaned and the place is fairly litter free.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is it supervised at all? If so, that'd be a plus point as I understand there have been quite a few break ins in that car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

A few times we've come across lads doing this to line their own pockets, rather than working for the county council. An interesting, non-racist point I have is that they're rarely anything other than Eastern Europeans on the gate when it's not the actual (usually Irish) council workers. If they weren't wearing one of the council's high vis jackets, you should report them.

Also, if you head about a mile south along the road, there's another entry to the beach you can use, and free carparking area across the road

If they weren't wearing one of the council's high vis jackets, you should report them.

You've got it all wrong. They're not employed by the county council. These sort of operations are always tendered out to private companies in just the same way as the the ice cream sellers and chip vans guys are not council workers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Clogga Bay is nicer, but a pain to get to with the narrow road and the car park can fill up quickly on a sunny day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

There are not too many places that you get to park ALL day for 4 euro.
    Pay up and look pleasant, it costs a lot to keep these places maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Agreed.... the cost is the cost.

I'd have it €40 a day if it kept the dublin rif-raf away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    There are not too many places that you get to park ALL day for 4 euro.
    Pay up and look pleasant, it costs a lot to keep these places maintained.

well the guy who takes the money should look pleasant:cool: and anyway most people don't want to park all day they might want to go for a quick swim or walk, it should be per hour.

well the guy who takes the money should look pleasant

Perhaps he's far away from his home, working in a menial job cleaning the loos and picking up everyone elses waste while they moan about having to pay €4 for a day at the beach and about bloody foreigners lining their pockets.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tonyon

Anyone know anything about the situation re Silver Strand?. Someone told me that access has been closed off.? Can this be true. Was going to take the grandchildren down to show them the beauty of the area as I did with my own children many moons ago and my own parents did with me and my siblings in the 50s-60s during our childhood. I thought the Beaches of Ireland belonged to the People of Ireland, has something changed.? Any info. much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can access Silver Strand via the 2 caravan parks there, but you have to pay to park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

On a side note the amount of broken bottles and beer cans thrown around when you walk through the dunes is disappointing.

Advertisement