Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Climate Change: The Megathread - Read Post #1 before posting

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Agreed,also concerning is the "Dirty Electricity" fed into our wall sockets by led drivers,and pulse mode power supplies,which managed on the whole to do away with transformers,but at what cost,in the drive to make power supplies smaller? In the US in particular the use of filters in people's homes is a growing market,but..... Renault mentioned this dirty electricity as a concern with EV charging.

Colour temp is now a facture,as mentioned,and compensated in tab lights ,changing toward bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

its still contradictory/ignorant in these times.. I eat mostly raw food as it is.. I don't wash with hot water - bad for my skin and hair.. but I do use hot water for washing clothes/dishes.. thats necessary.. excessive xmas light is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Humans have evolved to eat cooked food it’s why we have big brains.

Speak for yourself,have you seen the PV threads!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Technically speaking, the human brain has been getting smaller since the stone age.

Anyway I had a look at Aldi's Christmas light offerings and they had 1.4 watt power supplies.

Solar Panels,Photo Voltaic. Apologies to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

How beneficial are individual carbon footprint calculations?

I've tried a number of them and given honest answers. My predicted footprint is about 8 tonnes C02/year. It's also alerted me to some other areas I could improve on and I expenct to get my carbon footprint down to 7 tonnes by the end of the year.

A few years ago I would have been closer to the Irish average of 13 tonnes C02/year. My friends think I'm daft for driving a very small car, cutting back on electricity usage and going on holidays in Ireland rather than Spain. However I don't feel like the changes I've made have and a detrimental impact on my lifestyle. Is it really that easy? Or is the individuals footprint of little importance?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Very beneficial to the fossil fuel companies as a distraction from the big use of fossil fuel.

The energy used to recover fuel from Canadian tar sands is insane.

Our population is estimated to peak at 11 billion. India is now at replacement rate. So it's now a matter of making sure everyone doesn't become an American or 1% in terms of resources used. The big savers are kids, cars, meat and insulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I stopped worrying about climate change a while ago. Or about my carbon 'footprint'. People are usually shocked when i say i don't care. As if i have some obligation there, like not spreading germs. They are made to believe us humans are guilty of raping the Earth and that we should go back to the Garden of .... I suppose aiming for our ancient hunter-gatherer status, raping and pillaging tribal warfare world where nature was mmmm, in 'balance' whatever Gaia meant with that. But, to make a contribution, it would be wise to somehow get away from this atomised meaningless existence. However, no quick fixes there and the revolutionairy road is painted with blood. And i dont think the Indians, Russians, Chinese and Africans will join the west anytime soon..i consider myself a realist.

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 7 911zig

Climate change has been a perplexing problem for years. 

In Dark Winter, author John L. Casey, a former White House national space policy advisor, NASA headquarters consultant, and space shuttle engineer tells the truth about ominous changes taking place in the climate and the Sun.

Casey’s research into the Sun’s activity, which began almost a decade ago, resulted in discovery of a solar cycle that is now reversing from its global warming phase to that of dangerous global cooling for the next thirty years or more. This new cold climate will dramatically impact the world’s citizens. 

In Dark Winter, he provides evidence of the following: 

• The end of global warming
    • The beginning of a “solar hibernation,” a historic reduction in the energy output of the Sun
    • A long-term drop in Earth’s temperatures
    • The start of the next climate change to decades of dangerously cold weather
    • The high probability of record earthquakes and volcanic eruptions

A sobering look at Earth’s future, Dark Winter predicts worldwide, crop-destroying cold; food shortages and riots in the United States and abroad; significant global loss of life; and social, political, and economic upheava

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This future will last 30+ years, and is cyclical? A 30 year (?) cycle that has been established as a result of 10 years' study?

So the current 'hot' cycle has lasted for 30 years, then presumably the cycle before that, from the 60s to the 90s was another of the 30 years that had ' crop-destroying cold; food shortages and riots in the United States and abroad; significant global loss of life; and social, political, and economic upheaval'. Funny, the world had its problems but I don't recall that those three decades were significantly alarming.

There is the solar sunspot cycle but that is an 11 year cycle and is well known. We have the weather and climate records, what records is this author looking at to come to such confident conclusions?

the current 'warm' cycle started around 1820's and like john casey predicts the cycle lasts around 206 years before we plunge into another cold cycle which is about to start now..the winter of 2024 in my opinion will be the coldest for 60 years due to another effect called the milankovitch cycle which will pull the Earth slightly off its eliptical orbit away from the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭Shoog

Small period milankovich cycles have a very small signal which only become significant when combined with the larger cycle elements. Man made global warming is far in excess of any short cycle milankovich elements so will swamp any noticeable short term impacts.

The great cooling has been a key element of climate change denial since the supposed "great pause" and all predictions of a change to cooling have been shown to be fictional.

The presence of a strong el-nino going into winter means that we can expect a warm wet winter.

well not long to wait to see who is right..the last time we had a similar planetary alignment of the big outer planets being grouped together on one side of the sun was in 1811/12 when usa had the biggest earthquakes in recent history which coincided with 2 major eclipses and a comet appearing in the sky...another 2 eclipses and a comet will appear in 2024 also

BUCKLE UP! Beginning 2021, the earth and other planets will be begin moving into a planetary alignment that last happened in 79 A.D. This alignment will culminate in 2024, with when earth's gravitational pull by the sun will be cancelled out as earth moves directly between an aligned Jupiter and Saturn, and into the magnetic field created by that alignment.

Also, in 2023-24, there will also be a square of Jupiter, Saturn, Pluto and Uranus. The last time this happened was sometime between 536-578 A.D. (he suspects the date has been obfuscated to keep us in the dark) which was a very dire period of seismic activity, revolution, war and death.

In addition, in 2023 Pluto will move into the area marked by the constellation of Aquarius, which is associated with electricity/technology (he wonders about this involving 5G), change, rebellion and revolution as seen the last time Pluto was in this position-- the American Revolution!

Then on April 8, 2024 a solar eclipse will occur over America. Combined with these other planetary configurations, the San Andreas or the New Madrid earthquake faults may be triggered and the super-volcano in Yellowstone may erupt to create a volcanic winter.

All of this will occur as the sun continues decreasing its output due to the Grand Solar Minimum which has already begun.

I don't need to wait, science is very clear what happens in a strong el-nino year.

theres more to it than el-nino though...the recent high level volcanic eruptions are adding to the mix and you can witness all the volcanic sulphur dioxide that is now circling the globe,this will cool the planet,see at www.windy.com

There is no evidence of a significant uptick in volcanic activity.

I don't buy astrology whoever is selling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

...when usa had the biggest earthquakes in recent history

...the American Revolution!

...Then on April 8, 2024 a solar eclipse will occur over America. Combined with these other planetary configurations, the San Andreas or the New Madrid earthquake faults may be triggered and the super-volcano in Yellowstone may erupt to create a volcanic winter.

Ahh right. Its America we are talking about, so it must be true/relevant/affecting the whole world! I think ye have bigger immediate problems over there than astrologically led climate issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In terms of the climate effects from volcanism, there has been a substantial uptick.

However, the extremes this year are sharper than anthropogenic global warming alone would be expected to cause. Human activities that release greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere have been increasing temperatures gradually, at an average of 0.2 degrees Fahrenheit (0.1 Celsius) per decade.

Three additional natural factors are also helping drive up global temperatures and fuel disasters this year: El Niño, solar fluctuations and a massive underwater volcanic eruption.

Unfortunately, these factors are combining in a way that is exacerbating global warming. Still worse, we can expect unusually high temperatures to continue through at least 2025, which means even more extreme weather in the near future.

A massive volcanic eruption

Volcanic eruptions can also significantly affect global climates. They usually do this by lowering global temperatures when erupted sulfate aerosols shield and block a portion of incoming sunlight – but not always.

In an unusual twist, the largest volcanic eruption of the 21st century so far, the 2022 eruption of Tonga’s Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai is having a warming and not cooling effect.

The eruption released an unusually small amount of cooling sulfate aerosols but an enormous amount of water vapor. The molten magma exploded underwater, vaporizing a huge volume of ocean water that erupted like a geyser high into the atmosphere.

Water vapor is a powerful greenhouse gas, and the eruption may end up warming Earth’s surface by about 0.06 F (0.035 C), according to one estimate. Unlike the cooling sulfate aerosols, which are actually tiny droplets of sulfuric acid that fall out of the atmosphere within one to two years, water vapor is a gas that can stay in the atmosphere for many years. The warming impact of the Tonga volcano is expected to last for at least five years.

https://fortune.com/2023/07/27/why-extreme-heat-not-just-climate-change-el-nino-volcano/

Its simply untrue

https://volcano.si.edu/faq/index.cfm?question=historicalactivity

"The Global Volcanism Program does not see any evidence that volcanic activity is actually increasing. Data about eruptions has been compiled by the Smithsonian since 1968 in order to provide context for global volcanism. The following figures and discussion are modified from an introductory section in Siebert et al. (2010); data is through 2009, but more recent data is available. Please do not reproduce the figures below without all of the accompanying analysis and proper citation (links are preferred). There is great value in knowing the recent volcanological record, but its limitations are not always apparent. Readers are strongly cautioned against mistaking the record for the reality.

The last 200 years of the volcanological record (figure 1), with humans distributed over most of the globe and relatively efficient communications, would seem to be the well-suited to search for episodic trends. However, even in the last two centuries any real trends are overshadowed by reporting factors such as historical events, technological changes, and exploration influences. The apparent increase in activity reflects increases in populations living near volcanoes to observe eruptions and improvements in communication technologies to report those eruptions. The best evidence that these trends are apparent rather than real comes from the record of large eruptions, whose effects are far reaching and less likely to escape documentation even in remote areas. Their constancy over the past two centuries is a better indicator of the global frequency of eruptions than the improved reporting of smaller eruptions."

There has been no actual increase in large scale eruptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

I read lately that the excessively wet weather over Ireland is due to the sea i.e. The Atlantic heating up. But then I thought -what about all the polar ice melting into the same ocean. Does that not have a cooling effect ? One might expect that one would cancel out the other to some extent.

Can anyone reconcile this state of affairs ?

Advertisement