Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bay Packers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I suppose it depends on what is the issue with the Packers inability to get through the PlayOffs? Home Field advantage doesn't mean anything. The team plays poorly after a Bye week year in, year out. In 2010 they didn't get a bye and played every playoff game on the road. They built momentum that propelled them to the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭boccers

I think theres still a chance they are both back but if they leave its possible that GB could still be very good. If Rodgers goes they will get a kings ransom for him (unless he retires) and they will still have a good core of young players especially on Defence. They could be looking at 2 first round picks in both of the next 2 drafts along with a few seconds and maybe a good player comes in exchange as well.

There will definitely be a lot of cap casualties though. I'd say we've definitely seen the last of Crosby, Turner, Za'darius and probably Preston Smith, Amos, Bojorquez and Cobb amongst many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Packers are $50mn over the cap for 2022 as it stands, and thats with letting Adams walk. And without resigning any of Tonyan, Chandon Sullivan, De'Vondre Campbell, Lucas Patrick, Rasul Douglas, Lazard, Marquez Valdez-Scatling, Yosh Nijman, or Equanimeous St Brown who're all free agents now. And without signing anyone new or paying the new draft picks' salaries.

Even with letting Rodgers and Adams go they'll still have to make cuts elsewhere to make the maths work too. So its very very unlikely Rodgers' stays unless he takes an extremely team friendly deal, but that seems unlikely given his character. And even with him going the maths still aren't good for keeping Adams...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

Rodgers released a criptic message on Instagram and brian gutekunst is having a press conference on Wednesday, so is he in or out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Looked to me very like a goodbye message.

And to be quite frank as far as I am concerned, good riddance.

He has been playing this ball club like a broken piano.

Clear your locker dude and let us get on with things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Reads more like a bloke who's just gone through a breakup getting a bit maudlin on social media to me to be honest, Bren.

Here’s how I see it.

This ball club made him a very wealthy man, he made this ball club a very competitive unit.

However, what happens now is that he needs to be up front with GB.

Does he want to come back?

What does he want to come back?

Will he co operate with the club to achieve this.

will the club do all possible to accommodate him.

*////*/////

Time to sort this out and not have the total shambles that’s going on now.

SORT IT OUT NOW.

100% agreement from me on all that, Bren. I just don't think his wee instagram post was necessarily related.

Yes….. maybe not, but well, this stuff needs sorting…….. asap.

He said on Pat McAfee on Tuesday that it will be sorted very soon. I think he knows his decision affects Davante Adams who is a good friend so he won't draw it out like last year. I'd be surprised if he goes at this stage and would be very reluctant to say good riddance to the reigning 2 time MVP.

They have made him a very wealthy person but he has earned it with his play and I would imagine the Packers have done pretty well out of his hall of fame career to date.

• Advertisement

Agree on all of that but now they both ,the club and the person, need to act responsibly.

Theres a third party involved here …the fans -without whom there would be no team and no QB.

Get on with it.

I was actually thinking it was the other way round, Rodgers waiting on a decision from Davante before making his own mind up.

Yea that could be it either.

I've no problem with the best players getting paid the highest in the league but you'd wonder when Rodgers retires will he have any regrets about his massive contracts in someway hamstringing the Packers compared to what Brady did for a long time at the patriots. That's if he retires with one ring which looks increasingly likely. Taking 10% less than he can could be the difference between having a Billy Turner, Rasul Douglas, Mason Crosby etc or not. I know players are always told by the union to take the highest possible but you'd have to wonder.

Packers playing in London in Spurs stadium this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great news!

Very exciting news! I wonder how hard it will be to get tickets for given its their first time ever playing in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Delighted to hear this. Have NFL spurs stadium season tickets and main reason for continuous renewal (aswell as getting in some other games) was in the hope of the Packers coming.

I'd say tickets will be like gold dust. They have definitely been the most requested team to come over. Should make for a good atmosphere as you'd imagine the stadium will have a massive Packers following at it and not be as spread out fans wise like some other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Yeah going to be super popular for sure.

Out of interest, as a NFL UK season ticket holder do you get any preferential access to the Munich game tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've a kid who is a big GB fan.

I'd say he's the only one for miles that wears a Jaire Alexander jersey.

We had planned on going to Nebraska v Northeastern in Dublin in August, just to go to a game, and we do watch college football also, but then GB game in London appeared.

I've never taken much heed of how to get to a London game, so could I get some basics here.

How much would ticket prices range ?

When do they usually go on sale ?

I take it ticketmaster.co.uk is the outlet for them.

And seeing as it is Green Bay how quick are they likely to sell out, minutes, hours, days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭pedatron

Get on the NFL site and register your interest in attending the game. You'll be kept up to date with emails with ticket information.

With any UK game, the demand is pretty insane. I've failed to get them the last time and I was on the ball trying to get them. With GB I'd imagine it'll be seconds rather than minutes of a window to get them. It'll require luck too and prices vary!

• Advertisement

I don't think I will. Details haven't been released yet but since Wembley season ticket holders got no preference on Spurs I'd say the same will carry over for Germany. Munich game will sell out extremely fast I'd imagine.

Usually there is loads of tickets floating about for the other games from resellers but I can't see it happening for GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thanks

I registered for the updates on the ticket sales.

We'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I think it is likely that the Packers will give Rodgers the $50m he is looking for next season - and then he walks as a free agent the year after.

The Broncos will still be his most likely landing spot next year unless they find the QB answer this off-season. They will be in the stakes for Wilson if he becomes available - but i can't see them going for the likes of Cousins (which is a prospect if Rodgers signs a deal of 2 years or more). Jordan Love moving to the Broncos is also a possibility if Hackett thinks he is capable of becoming an NFL starter - if that doesn't happen I'd be surprised if the Broncos didn't draft a QB (and Pickett is the most likely one they would go after).

Didn't Rodgers come out already though and say that it's bull that he wants $50m for the season. If he did want that there would be a lot of players leaving to accommodate. That wouldn't help him in anyway trying to win a superbowl.

I think if he stays he might call it a day at the end of the season unless he got a ridiculous offer elsewhere next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭boccy23

The #Packers and MVP QB Aaron Rodgers have agreed to terms on a 4-year, $200M deal that makes him the highest paid player in NFL history, sources say. He gets a whopping $153M guaranteed and his cap number goes down. A monstrous commitment by GB for years to come. 💰 💰 💰

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That is a lot of money to not win a Superbowl......

That's some chunk of change. Surely he can't complain now.

From a selfish point of view I'm delighted. Didn't think I'd every see him play live. If he stays injury free it should be happening in October.

Adams is getting franchise tagged for the 2022 season too apparently.

On the one hand its great news for the 2022 season having them both back. They'll definitely perform better than the alternative.

On the other its probably going to be horrific long term. In the 2024 season when Rodgers is turning 41 and on $50mn a year its not going to leave the team many options with the cap and hes very, very unlikely to still be playing so well...

So much for "its not about the money" from Rodgers also eh? If it was really about winning a Superbowl/his legacy he could have done a Brady on it and taken a much more team friendly deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I got home from work yesterday to the news that Rodgers was staying in GB - the depression lasted all of 10 mins and what replaced by 'who gives a **** about Aaron Rodgers'.

Will be an interesting season and would be gas to see the Broncos playing GB in the SB.

Advertisement