Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap prepay android phone(samsung europa) 39€

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

danjo-xx wrote: »
    You haven't met me:D which crowd did you use!
    The cheapest crowd of course, FastGSM for $10/€7. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I went into gmail>remove account> msg... this can only be done in Privacy>Reset Factory Settings

I was a bit nervous but took the plunge:D and after a few worrying minutes in the dark all's well.

If you add gmail account everything in it is then on your phone. Imagine if you then loose it.

tnks all the same.
    You can just set up a screen lock on the phone so that anybody that picks it up can only really make emergency calls unless they know the screen lock code/pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 massey133

well lads,I got the samsung europa on 3 but I want to unlock it.Can't use fast gsm cas I've a mac.Any ideas?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Got this today (at around 12.30pm) and it looks great - definitely Android version 2.2 and came with €44 credit (€39 on it + €5 I bought when buying the phone).

When I check my balance (by dialing 1744), it says that I have €44 cash available and €0.26 free credit available - what does that mean exactly?

Can I wait a few days before porting my (vodafone) number over, or does it have to be done immediately? I want to use up the credit on my current phone before porting the number!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

jecca1 wrote: »
    Right, dont know why but if i turn the fone to airoplane mode i can connect to the Wifi.
    Really cant figure out what is wrong with this.

airplane mode turns off wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭noodler

massey133 wrote: »
    well lads,I got the samsung europa on 3 but I want to unlock it.Can't use fast gsm cas I've a mac.Any ideas?

I think there is a more expensive option where they just email you a code that yu type in rather than going through the software option.

Check below the 9.99 price when on GSM (looking for a 19.99 price)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Am I right in thinking that if I unlock this now I will still keep my credit!

Am I right in thinking that if I unlock this now I will still keep my credit!
    Yes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

can anybody get skype video calls working on it? can it handle it? I cant find skype settings to even check :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

can anybody get skype video calls working on it? can it handle it? I cant find skype settings to even check :S

Haven't tried Skype on it yet but I doubt it would be powerful enough. Worth a shot through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it can make the calls jsut fine, i just cant go in to find out if video works as there is no settings tab.

do you need to get an apn on/off thing with this or would unticking 'use packet data' turn off all 3g?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

it can make the calls jsut fine, i just cant go in to find out if video works as there is no settings tab.

No front camera though?

has none nope, jsut want to see somebody on a laptop, or for them to see me, not both!

how do you sign in and out of google talk easily? it's always signed in so people will think you are there always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

VanZan wrote: »
    None.

Nope.

I could not continue without taking credit , it went red and said I must choose

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rustyregan

three>specifications says
    Operating System Android 2.1:confused:

Weird. I'd take it back to them. How did you get that "three>spefications" information? There's a web shortcut disguised as an app in my apps called "three" but when it click it it just brings me through to their crappy website, doesn't offer any phone specs. Mine is 2.2/froyo.
    Daemos wrote: »
    So just to clarify, you have to pay a fiver a month to get on the internet, even with WiFi? Or have I read that wrong? Sorry but I'm terrible with technology redface.gif

No, you get a month's internet access when you top up by €20. I don't know what that €5 thing was but that was a concern of mine as well.

Re the phone - the screen is a bit small which makes texting a bit difficult, but as against that, Samsung has a useful "swipe" texting method, which speeds things up considerably. The battery life is ok once you disable the GPS. I get about 24 hours out of it with moderate use. Not fantastic, but manageable. I wouldn't mind getting a spare battery actually.

if you leave on gps but get something like a battery app it seems to increase battery life by a day or two im told

if you leave on gps but get something like a battery app it seems to increase battery life by a day or two im told
    Where do I turn off GPS? I'm sure I didn't turn it on in the first place so maybe I'm OK?
    rustyregan wrote: »
    No, you get a month's internet access when you top up by €20. I don't know what that €5 thing was but that was a concern of mine as well.

It's a fiver for 500mb lasting 30 days. If you top up by €20 you get unlimited for 30 days.

Yes.

tnx. what happens now, I've bought the fastgsm €9.99 unlock codes.

When/how do I get my hands on em:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

So just by topping up €20, you get 30 days of free internet access (even out of wifi), free Three-to-Three calls, free texts to any networks and free weekend calls to any Irish network - is that right?

If I've gotten that right, that sounds like great value!

• Advertisement

I could not continue without taking credit , it went red and said I must choose

I don't know what to tell you only that I ordered no credit and paid only €39 for the phone on it's own. I just selected "None". The only problem I had was with it wanting me to click on a button to verify the address.
    tnx. what happens now, I've bought the fastgsm €9.99 unlock codes.

When/how do I get my hands on em:D

There's no codes. You use the USB cable and software:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73750691&postcount=160
    So just by topping up €20, you get 30 days of free internet access (even out of wifi), free Three-to-Three calls, free texts to any networks and free weekend calls to any Irish network - is that right?

That's what the Three website told me too. The offer ends in January though I think.

Yas. It's worth noting though that this is *three* internet access. I.e. no rapidshare or any of that stuff. That said, I haven't actually tried accessing any files on rapidshare using the three service, but I believe that to be the case. When I try it, I'll update this. (Basically, three tend to use a small number of IP addresses for all of their customers so any website which requires you to take a ticket and wait is out. (That said, I think rapidshare have got rid of their ticketing system so it might work.))
    Where do I turn off GPS? I'm sure I didn't turn it on in the first place so maybe I'm OK?

Menu hardware button on the far left > settings > location and security > untick "use GPS satellites".

One good thing I've discovered: to toggle between open applications, press the hardware home key and hold it down for a couple of seconds.

Yas. It's worth noting though that this is *three* internet access. I.e. no rapidshare or any of that stuff. That said, I haven't actually tried accessing any files on rapidshare using the three service, but I believe that to be the case. When I try it, I'll update this. (Basically, three tend to use a small number of IP addresses for all of their customers so any website which requires you to take a ticket and wait is out. (That said, I think rapidshare have got rid of their ticketing system so it might work.))

Thanks - all I'll want it for is facebook / boards etc., so that's good to hear!

I think you can turn off gps also by flicking your finger to the left on the idle screen twice, which moves the screen over, and there's a little panel to toggle things like gps and wifi on and off! It'll take me a while to get used to it!

I think you can turn off gps also by flicking your finger to the left on the idle screen twice, which moves the screen over, and there's a little panel to toggle things like gps and wifi on and off! It
    Can anyone tell me what those five icons at the top represent? I had a quick look at the manual and couldn't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,007 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

You can get some handy toggle widgets for turning data off (apn off), turning phone to silent, tethering. Can get them on market place

Can anyone tell me what those five icons at the top represent? I had a quick look at the manual and couldn't find anything.

The first one is WiFi, the second is bluetooth, the third is GPS, the fourth is Google Sync (I think), and I haven't a clue what the 5th is - it looks like a brightness symbol, maybe it's autobrightness on/off?

The first one is WiFi, the second is bluetooth, the third is GPS, the fourth is Google Sync (I think), and I haven't a clue what the 5th is - it looks like a brightness symbol, maybe it's autobrightness on/off?
    Sounds right to me..cheers :)

TheDriver wrote: »
    CPW have it on o2 for 49 too if anyone is thinking about unlocking it etc, i presume you get the usual 30 euro credit
    This post has been deleted.
    I only received €5 free credit and I was told I wouldn't receive any so I'm really surprised people got €38. Maybe it's only if it's bought online, if I had known that it might possibly have changed my mind regarding buying instore. Really delighted with it though so I'm not going to get all angry about it. Just registered on My3 now so maybe that'll make a difference. It also ported over really quickly too, less than an hour.

I've only read the rest of this thread now. I bought this phone from the carphone warehouse for €49 and in terms of phone credit got the princely sum of €0.29. Feel a bit sickened now. Damn you opaque pricing.

Moral of the story: buy online and steer well clear of the CPW.

Weird. I'd take it back to them. How did you get that "three>spefications" information? There's a web shortcut disguised as an app in my apps called "three" but when it click it it just brings me through to their crappy website, doesn't offer any phone specs. Mine is 2.2/froyo.

That info was under learn more from 3 website. It must have been out of date because they all seem to have the 2.2 version now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Im a bit confused with the fast gsm program, i followed all the instructions word for word and all i have from the program so far is this output:

OPENING COM5 : [OK]
    PDA VERSION : I5500XWJPJ
    CSC VERSION : I55003IEJP4
    PHONE VERSION : I5500NEJP1
    HARDWARE VERSION : MP 0.800
    BUILD VERSION : M76XX-TSNCJOLYM-6040
    PHONE IMEI : XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    PHONE SERIAL NUMBER : RUHB791XXX
    UNLOCKING PHONE : [OK]
    UNFREEZE CODE : 37917414
    NETWORK LOCK CODE : 25179285
    SUBSET LOCK CODE : 00000000