Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Lick of Paint will do the job minister

• 18-07-2011 4:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Very important that new corporate logos and messages are 'communicated' Much less important to run a bus service at an affordable price on 6 year old buses that are absolutely fine and not in the least in need of painting.

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUL246875
    The work comprises the complete external refurbishment of up to approx. 125 fleet service vehicles (coaches and/or buses), into the latest Bus Éireann corporate livery, to include all required preparatory panelling damage repairs, preparatory work, application of paintwork scheme and application of all exterior corporate, legal and operational vinyl’s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Bus Eireann fleet (as with Dublin Bus) are repainted over a standard cycle.

This is nothing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

That reminds me, Dublin Bus livery is in dire need of an overhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

I hate the yellow/blue livery. Garish. Would much prefer the 90's green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

No problem lads, sure the country is awash with cash to redo corporate paint jobs, while neglecting the real on the ground stuff.

Waste of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yellow/Blue, the Citylink colours. Bet they test their new look on the Galway - Dublin route then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The current DB livery was brought in in anticipation of competition so they opted for a bright easily recognisable colour scheme, IE yellow on front, you can hardly miss it.

So guarantee then no private operator competition and they might go back to good old green ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

DWCommuter wrote: »
    No problem lads, sure the country is awash with cash to redo corporate paint jobs, while neglecting the real on the ground stuff.

Waste of money.

I was in Cornwall a few years back. Arriva ran a comprensive town-rural bus service out of Pensanzc which ran on a 15 minute cycle even into the rural villages and it connected with the trains at several stations.

The buses were mankey - but the service was from another planet compared to the lunatic world of the CIE social welfare empolyment scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Nothing screams an undesirable bus network more than shabby looking busses. Thumbs up to yellow and blue

AngryLips wrote: »
    Nothing screams an undesirable bus network more than shabby looking busses. Thumbs up to yellow and blue

Could not agree more. If you are going to try to get more people onto buses then appearance is important. A well turned out fleet is one part of the package, alongside integrated network, innovative timetabling, and a solid reliable service.

As usual some posters are letting their (sometimes understandable) blinkered vision towards CIE get in the way of seeing this.

BE are probably the most proactive and positive of the three companies in terms of the services they offer, got a clean bill of health from the Deloitte report, yet still some posters seem fit to criticise.

This is a tender for applying the new livery as buses come up for their scheduled repaints which are done in the normal course of business.

I fail to see anything inappropriate about doing that.

The current DB livery was brought in in anticipation of competition so they opted for a bright easily recognisable colour scheme, IE yellow on front, you can hardly miss it.

So guarantee then no private operator competition and they might go back to good old green ;)

No it wasn't.

It was brought in following extensive discussions with representatives of the partially sighted community with whom DB had long discussions with in terms of making the service more accessible.

• Advertisement

DWCommuter wrote: »

Waste of money.
    I respect the vast majority of your posts and agree with them as well, but when it comes to the concept of money we disagree vastly.

This country seems to have an amazing misunderstanding of what "money" actually is. Your use of the word "cash" reinforces that concept perfectly. My grandmother was always one for mistrusting banks in the old days too... kept wads of punts in teapots all around the house.

Credit flow is available for these companies, perhaps not with Irish banks, but lenders are out there. Certainly, corporate coffers are certainly not brimming, but IMO that's the fault of the state-run and semi-state-run companies and their perpetual mismanagement and short-sightedness.
    It's a case of you have to spend money to make money I'm afraid. Dublin Bus should be capitalising on this recession, dropping fares, upgrading their fleet and getting the punters onto the bus to save money.
    What they shouldn't be doing is burying their heads in the sand and posting losses because they are raising the prices and, frankly, it's cheaper to operate an economic car for the month than take the bus.

There is absolutely no reason that DB shouldn't be seeking credit and taking advantage of the global recession to expand and upgrade their fleet.
    Oh wait, there are two reasons: state involvement in the company and lack of competition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

This country seems to have an amazing misunderstanding of what "money" actually is. Your use of the word "cash" reinforces that concept perfectly. My grandmother was always one for mistrusting banks in the old days too... kept wads of punts in teapots all around the house.

Gosh, your grany was soooooooooooooo backward. Eveyone knows banks are as pure as the driven snow!

What she should of done was taken out a 100% mortage on a house big enough to house a small army battalion - but poorly designed and built on the cheap. Then take out another loan to make it the most fancy house in the neighbourhood - thereby encouraging the rest of the neighbourhood to play catch up with the jones' - then another loan for loads of cars and holidays and maybe even a second home they do not need. Once she did that then she can sit back and enjoy her security until the banks reposses it and she has nothing. Except calling Joe Duffy for guidance.

You have made me finally see that stashing real hard cash away for a rainy day, by that I mean money you actually earned and is based on reality, is such a backward a fearful concept. Credit and magic money is the scientific way!

Granny was so cute. Clueless!

Poor Granny! If only she could see Ireland now. Lopk "Granny! See what we have done with credit and loans! We have the IMF bleeding us like a vampire for all eternity and to think you use to keep real cash money under the matress and in teapots "just in case"..."GUFFAWH CHORTLE*!*

Seriously. You have to be a civil servant or a journalist to be this out of touch with reality.

Mother of God people like you should be begging your grandmother for forgiveness and wisdom. Granny's Teapot was real. Your concept of finance is a delusion implanted into your mind. Your concept of finance is what has ruined Ireland and turned future generations of Irish people into Revenue Rent Boys and Girls for the global banks who now 100% control the destiny of this nation. That includes your destiny too BTW. Your Granny was way more wise and intuative that you are.

I'll sit back now while you ban me from the forum as a "troll" or "disruptive poster..." Your faith in The System is a credit to your education...

Infracted for being a dick - Mod

I'll bite.

You think the paper you hold in your hand or stash in your teapot is worth anything more than the cotton it's printed on?

Secondly, I own everything I have - houses, cars, clothes. ZERO outstanding credit or mortgages. However, that fact along with what I do as a profession, is of no relevance or importance to you anyway; suffice it to say I am neither a journalist nor am I a civil servant.

Furthermore, you've actually (albeit unbeknownst to yourself) proved my point - the average working class, uneducated person in this country has little to no knowledge of how macroeconomics works. They think that the government is on par with themselves and their little miserable current account down at their local credit union or bank branch.
    Countries work on credit, full stop. Is it the correct system? How the hell am I supposed to know?! It's been going on for centuries and all countries operate that way.

Money is useless in a teapot, it devalues by the day and is doing sweet feck all. In fact, had she invested that money and removed it before her early death in the late 90s I'd probably be a rich rich man.

Your post is full of hyperbole and the type of misguided and slightly ignorant thinking that is keeping this country in an endless recession.... save save save all you want in your personal life - I, frankly, don't give a toss if you live a meagre yet happy existence but have a few bob stashed around the house for a rainy day. That's your choice.
    What I cannot stand seeing happening is this attitude being carbon copied onto our government.
    The EU/IMF loans are fecking USELESS if we don't spend money.
    We either need to take further loans from the EU/IMF to build a bunch of shít (Metro North, Dart Underground, a bloody massive pyramid for all I care) or we need our companies to borrow from foreign banks (that are stable and lending) to do something...
    the bottom line is this, counties and currencies need to be spent to appreciate.

At its most simple: Lending & spending = jobs = more spending = more jobs.... etc.

Now, I'll leave it to you to open the personal onslaught of attacks and whatever, but its a simple point and if you can show otherwise I'll gladly converse with you regarding same.

I eagerly anticipate your educated response.

BTW: I can't ban anyone from this forum... I'm not an Infrastructure mod. Furthermore, even if I was or I could, I would never ban someone for disagreeing with me - you're entitled to your opinions; even wrong ones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

...anyway, back to the topic at hand, I hope they don't change the livery of the fleet. I'm really fond of the colour scheme they have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

BTW: I can't ban anyone from this forum... I'm not an Infrastructure mod. Furthermore, even if I was or I could, I would never ban someone for disagreeing with me - you're entitled to your opinions; even wrong ones ;)
    And indeed FreudianSlippers, you are entitled to act maturely and understandingly as you have in the face of such a post. But I for one can't stand to read such overly personal nonsense. I've reported it and I don't think it would be in the least bit petty for you to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

OurLadyofKnock has been permabanned for his/her chronic inability to post in a non-antagonistic fashion. It's not what is said; it's how it's said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I respect the vast majority of your posts and agree with them as well, but when it comes to the concept of money we disagree vastly.

Credit flow is available for these companies, perhaps not with Irish banks, but lenders are out there. Certainly, corporate coffers are certainly not brimming, but IMO that's the fault of the state-run and semi-state-run companies and their perpetual mismanagement and short-sightedness.
    It's a case of you have to spend money to make money I'm afraid. Dublin Bus should be capitalising on this recession, dropping fares, upgrading their fleet and getting the punters onto the bus to save money.
    What they shouldn't be doing is burying their heads in the sand and posting losses because they are raising the prices and, frankly, it's cheaper to operate an economic car for the month than take the bus.

There is absolutely no reason that DB shouldn't be seeking credit and taking advantage of the global recession to expand and upgrade their fleet.
    Oh wait, there are two reasons: state involvement in the company and lack of competition.

You have very much under estimated me and made assumptions about me based on your own take on matters.

My reference to "cash" was and is and always will be, a mere use of language for the sake of making a point. It is certainly not to be used as a mechanism by which you can express an opinion about the country's misunderstanding of what money actually is.

I run a small business. I have been self employed all my adult life. I understand more than most, macroeconomics and the disconnect that exists between certain small businesses and certain other small businesses and indeed the semi states etc. etc.

I stand by my original post and the use of the word "cash". I also stand by the thrust of my point, which was that BE are wasting money on corporate identity, instead of concentrating on what matters most. I have worked in the area of Corporate identity for many years and I can clearly state that there has been a very definitive slow down in this area in the private sector.

As for credit facilities being available to semi states, I would really love to hear your evidence. I agree that you must spend money to make money. As a private business, I'm engaged in that as we speak. Unlike yesteryear, its not borrowed, but self generated. However, semi states in transport are tied to a subsidised culture and this affords them the luxury of rebranding at will, with no fear of any detrimental effect on their balance sheet.

Advertisement