Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking to borrow your Van for trip to Germany and back.

• 13-07-2011 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All,

I'm putting this out there to see if anyone is interested.

I'm moving from Ireland to Germany later this year, and looking for ways of transporting my personal effects. I'm wondering if anyone can lend me a van for the journey, I'm willing to drive it myself.

In return for the lend of your van I will provide:
    - An agreed sum of money
    - Pay for me to be insured on the vehicle.
    - Would be willing to transport Beer Wine etc from France if required as would be travelling back with empty van.
    - Goes without saying but will say it anyway for clarity: my own petrol,boat fare etc

I am looking for a small van preferably something about the size of a Hiace or similar. The owner of the van would have to be willing to let me have use of the van for a week and be ok with putting about 2,000 km on the clock with subsequent wear and tear. I suppose this would suit someone who has a van that is not needed at certain times of the year- eg: a Gardener's van in the winter when business is quiet. I don't have any fixed deadline for needing the goods in Germany.

I'm sure there is other info but if anyone is interested I can discuss further.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

At the risk of being overly-suspicious but this reads like:

"Man with business to attend to in continental Europe seeks use of van with no paper trail. Will bring stuff back for you, thereby proving he was working for you if there's a problem" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Unless you know someone, this isn't going to happen. At the risk of asking the blindingly obvious, why not just rent from a van rental company for a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You cannot insure a van unless you have an insurable interest in it. 3rd Party insurance will not cover continental driving.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    Unless you know someone, this isn't going to happen. At the risk of asking the blindingly obvious, why not just rent from a van rental company for a week?

You will not be allowed bring the car onto the continent. Only a fraction of the companies will allow you get as far as Calais in England. However you can rent vehicles from the UK and travel to the continent, just not from here.

MrDerp wrote: »
    At the risk of being overly-suspicious but this reads like:

"Man with business to attend to in continental Europe seeks use of van with no paper trail. Will bring stuff back for you, thereby proving he was working for you if there's a problem" ;)

Not really, the lad needs a van for a week and renting one is not simple. Even if 20kgs of cocaine were in the van on the return trip the authorities would have their work out to attach any charge to the owner of the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

The only place to rent a van that can be taken onto the continent in Dublin is, afaik, vanrentals.ie in Turnpike Road Ballymount. I've used them a few times, 5-6 days to France with a Sprinter is about €650. They have a certain amount of mileage allowance but you would probably exceed this going to and from Germany. You will also have to factor in a minimum of €250 for the ferry, then diesel, tolls, excess mileage and so on.

You might be better off seeing how much stuff you have, calculating the volume, put it on pallets, box it up and look to freight it in a truck to a depot near you in Germany. Kuehne & Nagel would be a place to start but I'd say you could get one cheaper. If you are very flexible on times, which it seems you are then it would be even cheaper.

Third alternative is to buy a cheap diesel Hiace or Merc 207-410 here, drive it to Germany and sell it there. There are plenty of Afghanis, Africans and ex-USSR nationals that will buy it off you and who would not be concerned with the RHD aspect.

I own 3 vans but there isn't a chance it hell I would give it to a stranger I met on the net to drive it in Ireland let alone take it abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

There are a load of Polish guys doing this for people moving back and forward. They have to drive through Germany so he can easily stop there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 slimjimmy

Thanks for all the info people, as I said I'm just putting this out there to see if anyone is interested.

When I moved back from Germany I just posted all the heavy stuff, wasn't that expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Beer Baron wrote: »
    You will not be allowed bring the car onto the continent. Only a fraction of the companies will allow you get as far as Calais in England. However you can rent vehicles from the UK and travel to the continent, just not from here.
    bijapos wrote: »
    The only place to rent a van that can be taken onto the continent in Dublin is, afaik, vanrentals.ie in Turnpike Road Ballymount.

Avis van rentals will also let you take vans to continental europe. You will have to inform that it's going out of the country and I think there are additional charges and/or insurance, but it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Beer Baron wrote: »
    You cannot insure a van unless you have an insurable interest in it. 3rd Party insurance will not cover continental driving.
    Named Driver?

MugMugs wrote: »
    Named Driver?
    The van owners policy will exclude hiring the van out, so the OP will have to have their own insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Anan1 wrote: »
    Named Driver?
    The van owners policy will exclude hiring the van out, so the OP will have to have their own insurance policy.

"I didn't hire it. He's my friend"

"I didn't hire it. He's my friend"
    All well and good, until a situation develops where the insurance is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

try find cheap van in uk/north Ireland, do short term insurance(up to 28 days) through web, then come back, sell for parts, or cheap money. ... or if you can borrow from somebody van with uk reg plates , you can do short term insurance on that van also. while ago, i was buying car in uk, i knew that i goin take that car, and i ordered insurance on particular car with uk reg number, for 5 days, for all eu countries (my residence was ROI, and on insurance policy was my ROI address). brought it over see.

Advertisement