Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tender Watch for Roads!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

spacetweek wrote: »
    I think that's an error? Already U/C.

No, I mean the section of CSRR that will be left between the previous Kinsale Road Flyover project and the current Sarsfield to Bandon Road Upgrade project (near Ballyphehane). I don't think there's a plan for that stretch yet - if it remains the way it is after the opening of the Bandon Road and Sarsfield Flyovers, I can see it becoming a bottleneck fairly quickly - would need at least 3 lanes each way if not 4 IMO. The Kinsale Road Flyover has provision for 6 traffic lanes (5 of which are used) while it appears that the Sarsfield Flyover will also have provision for 6 lanes (looks like 4 will open initially) - this would point to future aspirations on the part of the engineers etc - hence, my speculation on a new Part 8 scheme for widening near Ballyphehane.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kennykill

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1110/budget_capital.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1110/infrastructure.pdf

Well looks like infrastructure projects are a thing of the past, at least for the next 5-10 years. It's a sad day for many engineers, it's the nail in the coffin for many (including myself). Time to look abroad and leave this place to the dogs. Concentrating on job creation? Trying keeping the ones who have jobs first then you'll have money to create new ones.

I was hoping and praying that we as a country had turned the corner, but given the turmoil in Europe and all these cuts, working in Ireland outside of the public sector is close to impossible. The dream for me is sadly over, I have wanted for years to move back and settle here but now there is no more work, and there won't be work for the next 5-6 years in my sector. Companies are bearly surviving and all the engineers I know have already left. The optimism that I've held onto for so long that Ireland would get better in a few months has finally started to fade away and now facing the reality that I must leave my homeland for a place where I can find stability and work to provide for my future. What kind of country allows that to happen to it's citizens? I wasn't in Ireland during the boom years and now I won't be in Ireland during the bust either.

kennykill wrote: »

Well looks like infrastructure projects are a thing of the past, at least for the next 5-10 years. It's a sad day for many engineers, it's the nail in the coffin for many (including myself). Time to look abroad and leave this place to the dogs. Concentrating on job creation? Trying keeping the ones who have jobs first then you'll have money to create new ones.

I was hoping and praying that we as a country had turned the corner, but given the turmoil in Europe and all these cuts, working in Ireland outside of the public sector is close to impossible. The dream for me is sadly over, I have wanted for years to move back and settle here but now there is no more work, and there won't be work for the next 5-6 years in my sector. Companies are bearly surviving and all the engineers I know have already left. The optimism that I've held onto for so long that Ireland would get better in a few months has finally started to fade away and now facing the reality that I must leave my homeland for a place where I can find stability and work to provide for my future. What kind of country allows that to happen to it's citizens? I wasn't in Ireland during the boom years and now I won't be in Ireland during the bust either.

I empathize with you - the real problem in Ireland and indeed the Western World is that the rich and powerful elite (who don't want to suffer any losses) would rather have the world 'owe' them a living - yes, we're suffering because we (as ordinary people across the globe) are funding a global social welfare system for the rich (through economically unjustified bond payments and low wealth taxation) instead of building worthwhile infrastructure projects like Metro North and DART Underground in the case of Ireland.

It's high time that there was a global agreement to assess the wealthy with a view to obtaining funds in order to plug the current financial holes that have developed (as a result of greed) in the various economies - if we as a country didn't have to pay so much to bond holders etc and that we could tax gains made from the various speculation scams etc, then there would probably be threads on the Infrastructure Forum covering the progress of Metro North and Dart Underground as they're being built beneath our feet - we'd probably be planning the next underground line by now! Also, we wouldn't be looking back on the road building boom - it would still be going on with the M17/N18 Gort to Tuam, well underway along with many a bypass such as Ballaghaderreen, Macroom etc. We would probably be talking about the upcoming opening of the N11 Arklow to Rathnew scheme while we'd be looking for start dates concerning the M11 Enniscorthy Bypass and M20 Cork to Limerick motorways. The M4 Mullingar to Longford Motorway would probably be in the mix too.

In short, the super rich are spongers! :mad:

I empathize with you - the real problem in Ireland and indeed the Western World is that the rich and powerful elite (who don't want to suffer any losses) would rather have the world 'owe' them a living - yes, we're suffering because we (as ordinary people across the globe) are funding a global social welfare system for the rich (through economically unjustified bond payments and low wealth taxation) instead of building worthwhile infrastructure projects like Metro North and DART Underground in the case of Ireland.

It's high time that there was a global agreement to assess the wealthy with a view to obtaining funds in order to plug the current financial holes that have developed (as a result of greed) in the various economies - if we as a country didn't have to pay so much to bond holders etc and that we could tax gains made from the various speculation scams etc, then there would probably be threads on the Infrastructure Forum covering the progress of Metro North and Dart Underground as they're being built beneath our feet - we'd probably be planning the next underground line by now! Also, we wouldn't be looking back on the road building boom - it would still be going on with the M17/N18 Gort to Tuam, well underway along with many a bypass such as Ballaghaderreen, Macroom etc. We would probably be talking about the upcoming opening of the N11 Arklow to Rathnew scheme while we'd be looking for start dates concerning the M11 Enniscorthy Bypass and M20 Cork to Limerick motorways. The M4 Mullingar to Longford Motorway would probably be in the mix too.

In short, the super rich are spongers! :mad:

Don't get me started on the rich. This country alone has been so corrupt and in bed with the rich, they all watch out for each other.

Do you know where there's a list of what projects will go ahead? Any suggestions in finding out who the consulting engineers are for the various projects?

Don't get me started on the rich. This country alone has been so corrupt and in bed with the rich, they all watch out for each other.

Do you know where there's a list of what projects will go ahead? Any suggestions in finding out who the consulting engineers are for the various projects?

There isn't any clear list of road projects, but the following (my guess) is about it before 2016 as far as the NRA is concerned:

2012 - N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass (13.6km of Single Type 1);

2012 - N7 NLX (Interchange) and N11 Arklow to Rathnew (16.4km of Dual Type 1) PPP;

2013 - M17/N18 Gort to Tuam and Tuam Bypass (53km of Type 1 Dual and 4km of Type 2 Dual) PPP.

There are other Part 8 Schemes (by Local Authorities) which will involve minor realignments (up to about 3km) as well as a couple of short widening schemes such as that on the M1 Drynam to Lissenhall.

If you have difficulty understanding the terminology with any of the above, I'll be happy to help.

Regards!

• Advertisement

I heard through the grapevine that the Gort/Tuam road hasn't any funding and isn't looking like getting any funding anytime soon. I'm trying to find out who the contractors are and who's the consulting engineers, but chances are they're already have people to fill the positions.

I heard through the grapevine that the Gort/Tuam road hasn't any funding and isn't looking like getting any funding anytime soon. I'm trying to find out who the contractors are and who's the consulting engineers, but chances are they're already have people to fill the positions.

When I mentioned being happy to help with the terminology, I forgot you worked in engineering, so apologies mate! :o

I think the Main Consulting Engineers for each of the following projects are:

- N7 Newlands Cross Grade Separation: Arup;

- M17 Rathmorrissy to Tuam: PCP;

- N17 Tuam Bypass: Ryan Hanley WSP;

- N18 Gort to Rathmorrissy: McCarthy Hyder Consultants Ltd in association with Tobin.

Can't as of yet get the EIS documents for either the N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass or N11 Arklow to Rathnew.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

We know the funding isn't in place - if it was it would have been announced and contract approved.

Discussion of the most recent rumors of funding and effects of the infrastructure plan announcement for this road is available in the Gort to Tuam thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

When I mentioned being happy to help with the terminology, I forgot you worked in engineering, so apologies mate! :o

I think the Main Consulting Engineers for each of the following projects are:

- N7 Newlands Cross Grade Separation: Arup;

- M17 Rathmorrissy to Tuam: PCP;

- N17 Tuam Bypass: Ryan Hanley WSP;

- N18 Gort to Rathmorrissy: McCarthy Hyder Consultants Ltd in association with Tobin.

Can't as of yet get the EIS documents for either the N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass or N11 Arklow to Rathnew.

Hope this helps!

I believe that for the N17/N18 Scheme, Jacobs were awarded the position of Employers Representative for the NRA/GCC. McCarthy Hyder, Tobins etc merely carried out the EIS. ARUP are in place as lead designers for the Direct Route Bid (Sisk, Lagan and Roadbridge) which according to the rumours are the preffered group should it move any further

As of now, you're probably right about the Gort to Tuam PPP - however, I think there's going to be a strategic investment bank (around €1bn) funded by ongoing pension contributions (hence the 2013 anticipated start date?). I also heard that the government hopes to raise €200m fairly quickly (of the €1bn I presume) - wonder if the N7 NLX and N11 Arklow to Rathnew PPP project is going to see any of the €200m?

• Advertisement

Monday 14th November - 1 Notice:

1) Award: N25 Waterford to Glenmore Ground Investigation Contract (Kilkenny CC).

After another dry period since last Tuesday, an interesting notice (#1) has appeared - an award notice for a ground investigation contract concerning the N25 Waterford the Glenmore project in Kilkenny - Kilkenny County Council must have been expecting funding for the scheme not so long ago - maybe it will be bundled in with the future M11/N25 Enniscorthy/New Ross PPP whenever it manages to get off the ground.

Regards!

Interesting indeed, though chances are they had this money set aside and need to spend it before loosing it. Is this road a part of Transport 21? Seems a strange one to be looking to upgrade!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Interesting indeed, though chances are they had this money set aside and need to spend it before loosing it. Is this road a part of Transport 21? Seems a strange one to be looking to upgrade!
    Not as such, it's a euroroute (E30) and part of the Atlantic Corridor plus it will plug a gap between the Waterford and New Ross bypasses. That said it is suspended and doesn't appear on priority or PPP lists therefore a post-2015 date is indicated.

As for your personal situation, it is regrettable, but education and health facilities come first. There will be a lot of construction work there but I don't think any of it will be of benefit to you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

No, I mean the section of CSRR that will be left between the previous Kinsale Road Flyover project and the current Sarsfield to Bandon Road Upgrade project (near Ballyphehane).
    Thanks a lot I&P, I wasn't aware of any of this.

Tuesday 15th November - 1 Notice:

1) Tender: Birr Salt Barn & Ancillary Machinery Storage Structure (Offaly CC).

There were a lot of notices like this over the last couple of months - looks like the authorities are taking the road gritting issue a lot more seriously this time (for the coming winter). However, is Offaly CC leaving it a bit late for the above contract? - maybe salt barns can be erected in a relatively short time frame.

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks a lot I&P, I wasn't aware of any of this.

That stretch of the SRR looks tatty, but you have four running lanes and two shoulders there all the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tuesday 15th November - 1 Notice:

1) Tender: Birr Salt Barn & Ancillary Machinery Storage Structure (Offaly CC).

There were a lot of notices like this over the last couple of months - looks like the authorities are taking the road gritting issue a lot more seriously this time (for the coming winter). However, is Offaly CC leaving it a bit late for the above contract? - maybe salt barns can be erected in a relatively short time frame.

Regards!

They're often just metal sheds, however its still ridiculously tight for year-end. The first of the recent bad winters closed in on NYE...

MYOB wrote: »
    They're often just metal sheds, however its still ridiculously tight for year-end. The first of the recent bad winters closed in on NYE...
    New Years Eve? Snow hit this country around the 10th Dec last year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

New Years Eve? Snow hit this country around the 10th Dec last year.
    2009 was that late

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

MYOB wrote: »
    2009 was that late

And made worse by the fact that December 2009 was very cold & dry

• Advertisement

Friday 18th November - 1 Notice:

1) Award: N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad Design Build Contract (Westmeath CC).

That's all for today - don't really expect much more until after the budget.

#1: Big news - it seems as if Jons Civil Engineering got the contract for the N52!

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I wonder what this will entail...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

3) Tender: Realignment of the N17 at Castletown (Galway County Council).

A 2.5km realignment project for the N17 in County Galway (according to Notice #3) - AFAIK, this scheme relates to the large bend North of Tuam (correct me if I'm wrong).

Rumour this may already be awarded and that the job must start in December to keep the funding, it is that bad bend with a junction on it halfway between Tuam and Milltown.

It was tendered out before in 2008 but cancelled thereafter. Award notice may well appear after the diggers are onsite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Friday 18th November - 1 Notice:

1) Award: N52 Carrick Bridge to Clonfad Design Build Contract (Westmeath CC).

That's all for today - don't really expect much more until after the budget.

#1: Big news - it seems as if Jons Civil Engineering got the contract for the N52!

Regards!

How times have changed , if i have read correctley the contact is worth 7.3 Million, the Final bill for the N52 belvedere which had same number of structures and same lenght of carriageway along with better ground conditions was nearly ten million!

Tremelo wrote: »
    I wonder what this will entail...

Any of the following involving renewals I'd say:
    • Signage;
    • Barriers;
    • Cat's Eyes;
    • Lighting.
    Other aspects might include:
    • Grass Cutting;
    • Hedge Trimming;
    • Surface Cleaning (Debris etc);
    • Gully/Drainage Clearance.
    Our motorway surfaces and signage appear to be reasonably well maintained all right, but when it comes to lighting and cat's eyes, that's another story - certainly the case on the M1 - just as well there are no potholes along the way like parts of the continent - you can hardly see the road at night from Jct 4 onwards. As for the interchanges - just as well the ramps are nice and long - some of the mast lighting is virtually non existent - can't you imagine if we had short ramps like in France combined with our very poor lighting - all the accidents that would probably result! :eek:

Regards!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Rumour this may already be awarded and that the job must start in December to keep the funding, it is that bad bend with a junction on it halfway between Tuam and Milltown.

It was tendered out before in 2008 but cancelled thereafter. Award notice may well appear after the diggers are onsite. :)

Here's another source showing a tender deadline of November 3rd:

http://www.tendersdirect.co.uk/Search/Tenders/Expired.aspx?ID=%20000000003467310&sect=R018&cat=15&Source=Categories

2.5km of Type 1 Single I'd guess from the confusing 'Type S2 standard single carriageway' spec. It certainly sounds like a pretty big job which will hopefully become another discussion topic for us should you be right about the start date.

Roll it on! :)

roadmaster wrote: »
    How times have changed , if i have read correctley the contact is worth 7.3 Million, the Final bill for the N52 belvedere which had same number of structures and same lenght of carriageway along with better ground conditions was nearly ten million!

Yes, the construction costs have been falling since the start of the recession - I guess the realism in building circles is really kicking in now. The N52 contract seems to be worth just over €7.3m excluding VAT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

2.5km of Type 1 Single I'd guess from the confusing 'Type S2 standard single carriageway' spec.
    Standard S2 = Type 1 ( 12m pavement)
    Reduced Standard S2 = Type 2 (8m pavement)

Dunno what else they call Type 3 ( 7m Pavement) other than Type 3 as you can see from the listing here

• Advertisement

Wednesday 23rd November - 2 Notices:

1) Award: Limerick City Parking Guidance System - Supply & Install (Limerick City Council);

2) Tender: Ennis Inner Relief Road Section E (Ennis Town Council).

#1: Looks like Limerick is getting an electronic car park signage system similar to that in Dublin - it involves 26 PGS (Parking Guidance System) signs and 10 supporting static signs around the city centre. 12 car parks are to be covered by the new system of which its implementation seems imminent.

#2: Can't get any direct information on the Ennis Inner Relief Road (Section E), but one old source (2006) has quoted the length of this section as 100m. If would be great if anyone had any more info on the project - I couldn't find any detail at all on the e-tenders notice.

Regards!

PS. I didn't see any notices for either Monday or Tuesday.

Advertisement