Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cinema pricing rip off

Options
  • 07-07-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

It's only about 40c per ticket but cinemas who don't implement the new vat rate clearly think that the government have sponsored a profit bonus for themselves by reducing the tax. These companies don't support jobs and should be boycotted. Go to any cinema who have reduced their prices. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

higher cinema ticket prices = people go to the cinema less
    also.......
    much as I liked 'kungfu panda II' adults accompanying their children should get in free the kids would get to the cinema more if this was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cawk n bawllz

All I've got to say about cinema pricing is that you shouldn't complain when most of us are downloading all the movies we want for free.
    I'm happy to pay a tenner to see a film in cinema.

However the cost of snacks at the cinema is absolutely ludicrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The Concrete Doctor

Not everybody downloads free movies.

What I object to is cinemas, or others, not passing on VAT reductions, designed to help the service industry. No excuse for bad business behavior!

Not everybody downloads free movies.

That's why I said most.

And it appears that piracy has driven down the previously ludicrous prices of DVDs so those who buy them can't complain much either.
    There usually are concessions in cinemas though aren't there? Like cheaper admission for kids(some places) and one cinema I know of does €4 admission during the day for people on the dole.

where on earth did you get that statistic? Most people do not download movies legal or illegal. Why do I get the impression you have some connection with the cinema business?

• Advertisement

where on earth did you get that statistic? Most people do not download movies legal or illegal. Why do I get the impression you have some connection with the cinema business?

Which statistic?
    I've learned about the repercussions of piracy at college(even though it's not something you'd need to go to college to learn). As a result of piracy which is more widespread and easier than ever most movies get a worldwide cinema release on the same day to maximise its box office profits or else the pirates (aaarrrrgh!) will just watch the cam job and never go to the cinema.
    It has also affected the kind of products which will be produced.
    For example on Nintendo DS, GTA: Chinatown Wars, a very popular and highly acclaimed game had sales not quite on par with games like Cookin' Mama and those Language Coach games. This is because the audience who like GTA, the more "hardcore" gamers are more inclined to pirate the game where as Cookin Mama is played by babies and women who don't know how to pirate (and would also be more inclined to not pirate anyway!)
    Why make hardcore games for people who are going to plunder everything? And as a result Nintendo puts out more child and soccer mom oriented games than anything else.
    But back on topic, I can forgive cinema admission prices for rising in light of piracy but you can't pirate M&Ms and popcorn so I don't know what their excuse is for being such robbery.
    And I don't think cinema admission prices are all that bad so I'm obviously in cahoots with the evil movie corporation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

But back on topic, I can forgive cinema admission prices for rising in light of piracy but you can't pirate M&Ms and popcorn so I don't know what their excuse is for being such robbery.
    And I don't think cinema admission prices are all that bad so I'm obviously in cahoots with the evil movie corporation.

well done you studied piracy at college :rolleyes:

if you dont know why food is so expensive, or ticket prices then you didnt study much as these are linked directly to piracy (i dont mean high prices causing people to pirate)

Jagle wrote: »
    well done you studied piracy at college :rolleyes:

if you dont know why food is so expensive, or ticket prices then you didnt study much as these are linked directly to piracy (i dont mean high prices causing people to pirate)

"Studied" is such a strong word.

Look, obviously piracy is wrong but it is equally wrong for cinema owners to keep reductions in VAT which are implemented by the government in order to promote new business and create jobs. Keeping this money for themselves means that cinema owners are ripping off their patrons, not encouraging them to come to their cinemas. You obviously can't see that. You are too hung up on the piracy issue, which is a valid, but totally different argument.

Look, obviously piracy is wrong but it is equally wrong for cinema owners to keep reductions in VAT which are implemented by the government in order to promote new business and create jobs. Keeping this money for themselves means that cinema owners are ripping off their patrons, not encouraging them to come to their cinemas. You obviously can't see that. You are too hung up on the piracy issue, which is a valid, but totally different argument.

Well, you're getting into business now and that's one of the many areas I'm not so well educated in.
    Another factor for me is that I live in a town which doesn't have a cinema so I'm accustomed to only going occasionally when there's a film I want to see.
    I guess it is a kick up the arse for people who like going once or twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

If they actually made the pricing more reasonable then that in itself would make piracy less prevalent. All you have to do is use the iTunes model, piracy was rife before it came along but they made it so much easier than downloading illegally that people were willing to pay the price. If the film industry did the same thing instead of raising prices and prosecuting people then it would be in a much better state. You have to make it worth peoples while.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    If they actually made the pricing more reasonable then that in itself would make piracy less prevalent. All you have to do is use the iTunes model, piracy was rife before it came along but they made it so much easier than downloading illegally that people were willing to pay the price. If the film industry did the same thing instead of raising prices and prosecuting people then it would be in a much better state. You have to make it worth peoples while.

How is iTunes easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

How is iTunes easier?

It's fewer clicks for the technologically challenged, they find it more straight forward, I personally hate it but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There might be less piracy if executives actually listened to what people want

World-wide releases
    I watch American football and wanted to see The Blind Side. Out in October in the USA and hit Europe four months later. What's that about?

TV boxsets
    Why are you waiting six to eight months after the series is over to sell your boxsets. I always watched Jack Baeur and his latest challenges. Series over in April, boxset out in November.
    Why not relase the boxset when the show is fresh, people are thinking about it and want to buy it?

edit, Pathos? I've never heard of this place before, I just assumed this was Film forum

Advertisement