Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilmacanogue and Kill Show of the South - appropriate clothes

• 06-07-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Similar to Marley123's thread, considered piggybacking on that one but thought it might be a bit cheeky :D does anyone know how fussy they are these shows? I usually just do showjumping with my horse and so none of my stuff is particularly suitable for showing! i have a navy show jacket and white jodhpurs; horse is ridden in a three ring and grakle noseband so obviously thats not suitable! i dont want to ride her in a snaffle for showing classes as she just fights with me, she goes nicely in a pelham so i was wondering if a pelham with two reins and a plain noseband would do for showing? im thinking of doing small riding horse and performance hunter. would i get away with the navy jacket/white jodhpurs? i know they're a bit of fun and im not taking it too seriously, just want to do something a bit different, but at the same time i feel she could do quite well in showing classes and i dont want to let her down by having all the wrong gear!!

once again im realising that there's a never ending supply of stuff that you dont have for horseriding but "need" - im going to need a bigger house for all the stuff i have at this stage.. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Hello

Bridle wish for showing either a snaffle or a double bridle would be ok i have seen a few ride in 3ring snaffles but regarding showing wise i'm not sure if you would be marked down on this or not . grackle nose band try and get a drop one instead.

Dress wise Navy jacket and white jods would be fine , the showing classses there cater for all levels or riding skills and grades so i'm sure you be fine on the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Re. the rider, a navy jacket is fine for classes, esp. if you're not going to be entering riding classes every week.

Re. the bit/bridle: A pelham with double reins is fine. It's what I always use, and have never had any problems. I use a 'normal' or cavesson noseband with it and it's always worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'd invest in a cheap tweed from holmestead or ebay for the occasion. And off-white jodhpurs (equestrian clearance maybe?).

Showing judges are pretty finicky about turnout to be honest so I'd make an effort to be correct.

Pelham with double reins and plain noseband will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

A tweed jacket would be far more correct, but the navy jacket will suffice if you can't borrow or buy one :) Wear a tie to compliment your jacket and your horse's colouring too. White jodhpurs are a no-no; canary or beige would be a better option.

If your horse goes nicely in the pelham, then definitely use it. A pelham or double bridle is correct, and a flat noseband.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DougalZ

Technically, you can wear either navy or tweed in a riding horse class, but in reality, everyone pretty much wears tweed
    Jods/breeches can be cream, canary, fawn, beige - never white or coloured.
    Boots should be long leather worn with spurs.
    Shirt and tie. Hair in a bun. Brown, fawn, beige, mustard gloves - never white or black. Show cane is more correct but a short whip would be OK. Horse can be in a double or snaffle - but you will find most in doubles, two riens off a pelham will do fine. Also a coloured browband to finish off. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

right so i caved in the end and bought the tweed jacket, pretty handy though for thirty euro in homestead! i cant do anything half assed so despite my panic we had everything in time for saturday in kill, tweed jacket, beige jodhpurs, cavesson noseband, pelham with two reins, etc! didnt place obviously, but she behaved absolutely perfectly for the whole thing, and the judge thought she was lovely when she rode her. one or two little questions now as i have the showing bug - i tried to get makeup in tri in the curragh to cover a big scar on her black point on one of her hind legs but they didnt have the right colour - any tips on where else to get that as they didnt have it in homestead or else what else to use? also - heard something about vaseline around eyes/nose or something? whats that about? also, anyone any tips on sewing in plaits? hers were all over the place by the middle of the class cos she kept shaking herself to get rid of the flies, i ended up sneakily trying to put them back in anytime i thought the judges werent looking!!!

It sounds like it was a positive day, even though you weren't placed :)

www.chshowing.com should have what you're looking for; alternatively, you could use black boot polish.

I wouldn't use the vaseline or baby oil around her face if you aren't sure how to use it - too much applied incorrectly isn't very attractive. Also, if the sun is out she could easily burn with it, or if she rubs off you or someone else it'll get everywhere!

In regards to sewing plaits - Practice, practice, practice! There are a couple of good guides on the internet, for example, here - http://www.eques.com.au/howto/plait.index92/plait.index92.html . It's not as hard as you think, and it's straightforward once you get the hang of it.

Use fly repellent too next time you're competing; just apply it carefully so there are no streaks on your horse's coat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DougalZ

Ditto to what Alibear has said, also if you live near Duleek, Town and Country stock both Supreme and Obsorbine show products (make-ups, coat conditioners etc.)

thanks alibear, that plaiting guide is great - i've been plaiting for years and clearly was just in a habit; turns out ive definitely been turning up waaaaaay too much of the plait!!! the breaking off the teeth of the comb to get even plait widths is a brilliant idea too; definitely the best guide ive read so far for plaiting!!

this is what we looked like last week anyway:

ellieshowofthesouthedit.jpg

They don't look bad at all; I've done much worse! :D

Very nice photo; you both look very smart! However, can I give a few pointers to get things spot on, seeing as you've been bitten by the showing bug? :D I understand it was your first showing class, so obviously you weren't going to splurge out on too much incase you didn't take a liking to it.

- A flat browband to match your flat noseband.
    - Cut the martingale stops off your reins; it'll look much neater :)
    - I'd choose a different tie, as I don't think the green tweed and the red tie go well together (but that could just be me :o). I think a dark green tie would look great - Your green tweed really goes well with your horse's colouring too :)
    - A velvet coloured hat with a flesh coloured harness would be more suitable - TRI do nice velvet hats (Just Togs?) for about €50. You don't need to splash out a fortune for one!

What colour are your gloves? I can't judge from the photo if you're wearing light coloured gloves or none at all :o

I think you did a good job though, considering it was a new venture for you. When I did my first showing class many years ago, my efforts weren't even near half as good as yours :o But, as with most things, we learn along the way :D

Good luck; I'm sure you'll be collecting rosettes in no time! :D

• Advertisement

alibear, you're turning into my showing guru :D

yeah wasnt wearing gloves, meant to but i forgot!! i think i might just splash out on a new bridle, i need a second one anyway so i might just get one with appropriate noseband/browband etc - or should i just get a double bridle? i suppose its one of those things that you'll always have?

annoyingly, i actually DO have a velvet hat but completely forgot all about - my mother was not impressed seeing as everyone else was wearing them and my big silver champion vent stuck out like a sore thumb; ill prob just get a new one cos ive been looking around and they're waaaaay cheaper than the champion ones!

going to start practising sewing plaits tomoro, going to do tinahely show on the 1st of august so i aim to be a pro by then, or alternatively just an angry person with no fingers due to sewing mishaps. yaaaay :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

A few more finicky points to add to turn out.

Make sure your hair is tied up neatly, tucked up above the collar of your jacket (under, or as close to the bottom of your helmet as possible) and in a hairnet.

It might be worthwhile investing in a strip of dark green or brown ribbon for your number.

In the photo, the noseband looks very high, and therefore 'cuts' or 'shortens' your horse's face a little. Obviously, it's hard to tell for definite as it's only one angle in the photo, but maybe take a look at it again and check. You could try lowering it a hole or two, if possible, but just make sure it doesn't pinch or rub the horse.

Re. flies: vinegar is a pretty good fly repellant. I'm using it at the moment, and spray it into the forelock, mane, and tail, and then rub it onto the neck, legs and rump. It can also put a nice shine on the coat, too. It's also cheap, too! :D

Oh, and Tinahely is a nice show, and the showing arena is a good size, so lots of space to show off your horse! :)

alibear, you're turning into my showing guru :D

yeah wasnt wearing gloves, meant to but i forgot!! i think i might just splash out on a new bridle, i need a second one anyway so i might just get one with appropriate noseband/browband etc - or should i just get a double bridle? i suppose its one of those things that you'll always have?

annoyingly, i actually DO have a velvet hat but completely forgot all about - my mother was not impressed seeing as everyone else was wearing them and my big silver champion vent stuck out like a sore thumb; ill prob just get a new one cos ive been looking around and they're waaaaay cheaper than the champion ones!

going to start practising sewing plaits tomoro, going to do tinahely show on the 1st of august so i aim to be a pro by then, or alternatively just an angry person with no fingers due to sewing mishaps. yaaaay :D

I'm happy to help :D Tut, tut in regards to the gloves :p; mustard or brown would be correct. A nice brown leather show cane would be nice too, but isn't compulsory.

If he's happy in the pelham, then I'd keep him in it - It'll save you buying a bradoon and weymouth too. Either a pelham or double bridle is acceptable, it really depends on the conformation of your horse's mouth.

Advertisement