Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Nonono! Imperial wizards are deeply kind and courteous people. What ACTUALLY happened, obviously, is that a protestor was trying to set fire to everyone around him for Reasons and the heroic wizard, seeing the danger, attempted to shoot the lighter out of his hand...

etc. But I'm sure someone will go somewhere close to defend an Imperial grand wizard pointing a gun at people and firing negligently at the ground beside a confused crowd, because it could never be because he's a bloody idiot, could it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Peregrinus wrote: »
    What they mostly didn't know, and probably wouldn't have believed, was that the deported Jews were being systematically murdered on an industrial scale because, really, that would have been incredible to them.
    The US reporter Martha Gellhorn describes what she saw and heard when she entered the area around Cologne as the Third Reich evaporated:
    No one is a Nazi. No one ever was. There may have been some Nazis in the next village, and as a matter of fact, that town about 20 kilometers away was a veritable hotbed of Nazidom. To tell you the truth confidentially, there were a lot of Communists here. Oh, the Jews? Well, there weren't many Jews in this neighbourhood. Two maybe, maybe six. They were taken away. I hid a Jew for six weeks. I hid a Jew for eight weeks. (I hid a Jew, he hid a Jew, all God's chillun hid Jews). We have nothing against the Jews; we always got on well with them... ah, how we suffered. The bombs. We lived in cellars for weeks. [...] One asks oneself, how the detested Nazi government, to which no one paid allegiance, managed to carry on this war for five and a half years. Obviously, not a man, woman or child in Germany ever approved of the war for a minute, according to them. [...] The only horror they feel for German crimes is that they themselves may, by some monstrous injustice, be considered by the Allies to be implicated.

It should, we feel, be set to music.
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    People in the bureaucracy who did know or suspect this, and were disturbed by it, often felt powerless to talk about it not only because they knew what would happen to them if they did but also because they knew they would not be believed by family, friends or the public at large.
    Following the liberation of, I believe, most or all of the concentration camps, it was a matter of Allied policy that the nearby populations were marched into the camps and shown what went on there - a commendably foresightful policy, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Samaris wrote: »
    Nonono! Imperial wizards are deeply kind and courteous people. What ACTUALLY happened, obviously, is that a protestor was trying to set fire to everyone around him for Reasons and the heroic wizard, seeing the danger, attempted to shoot the lighter out of his hand...

etc. But I'm sure someone will go somewhere close to defend an Imperial grand wizard pointing a gun at people and firing negligently at the ground beside a confused crowd, because it could never be because he's a bloody idiot, could it.

Surely he should have just used his powers and pulled a

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS" Gandalf move on the counter-protestors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think Gandalf fell into the abyss that time though, so it wasn't all that successful a stunt.
    It must have been great for wizards when guns were invented. Sticks that shoot out lightning bolts, and they really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,045 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

recedite wrote: »
    I think Gandalf fell into the abyss that time though, so it wasn't all that successful a stunt.
    It must have been great for wizards when guns were invented. Sticks that shoot out lightning bolts, and they really work.
    I dunno. It must have kind of levelled the playing field between the wizards and the rest of us.

Here's a thought: perhaps it's the loss of that superior power that makes the wizards of the Ku Klux Klan so constantly angry and bitter?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Though I read somewhere recently that certain right-wing groups in the USA have been infiltrating the police and military which, if true, is an unhelpful development.
    Seems the British Army is also a target:

"Neo-Nazi arrests: National Action suspects are in the Army"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41161233

Christy42 wrote: »
    [...] some insane mental gymnastics to argue that these people don't represent a major threat [...]
    Here's an article on the Gerasimov Doctrine which seems like it might be applicable in this thread:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/09/05/gerasimov-doctrine-russia-foreign-policy-215538

"Divide and conquer" has always been a classic military strategy, and the backbone of empires such as the Roman and British.

I'd like to see some evidence for the claim in that link that Russia backed right-wing Ukrainian nationalists.
    In Ukraine, Russia has been deploying the Gerasimov Doctrine for the past several years. During the 2014 protests there, the Kremlin supported extremists on both sides of the fight—pro-Russian forces and Ukrainian ultra-nationalists

The break-up of the formerly pro-Russian Ukraine into a chaotic region was helped along by external forces, but the evidence points in a different direction.

Roy Moore, creationist, homophobe, hardline christian fundamentalist, Obama-birther, ten-commandment fetishist, and resident and former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the great state of Alabama, is the unexpected Republican candidate for Senate after the defeat of Luther Strange, the choice of #45 and the rest of the Washington GOP elite.

The Beeb has rounded up a few of Moore's more peculiar views for your reading pleasure:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41417203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

When a man is too crazy right-wing for the current GOP and Trump, that's a bad sign.

Or maybe it was something else that put them off. Merely being irresponsibly bonkers hasn't been enough yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Is Dr Seuss racist now father

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well, who doesn't remember such classics as "Green Eggs, Ham, Blood And Soil"?

Well, who doesn't remember such classics as "Green Eggs, Ham, Blood And Soil"?
    No doubt Tucker and his mates would prefer white eggs.

No doubt Tucker and his mates would prefer white eggs.

Tucker is sound, a bit sh1tty deciding that everyone you don't like is a racist.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Tucker is sound[...]
    Nope, he's not.

He's another trash-media apologist for right-wing and hard-right-wing causes as most of his videos show - somebody whose sad job it seems to be to stir division, hatred, fear and anger by providing his consumer base with enough of these qualities to keep the advertizing dollars rolling in and the people who control the right-wing narratives, and those who benefit from them, happy.

Dr Seuss racist drawing.
    Hitler is portrayed from his good side, while Emperor Hirohito was not, proving that Dr. Seuss was obviously a nazi.

Screen_Shot_2015-07-22_at_3.42.48_PM.png

Nope, he's not.

He's another trash-media apologist for right-wing and hard-right-wing causes as most of his videos show - somebody whose sad job it seems to be to stir division, hatred, fear and anger by providing his consumer base with enough of these qualities to keep the advertizing dollars rolling in and the people who control the right-wing narratives, and those who benefit from them, happy.

Fox is just the mirror of CNN or MSNBC , ultimately they are all garbage. Its still a jump to call him a racist, as a mod you should have a higher standard of posting and not post as if this is this is a Youtube comments section.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: I am posting as a mod here, robindch was posting as a regular poster. You can tell the difference by the bolded bit at the start. You may not agree with robindch's opinion and are free to argue the case or report the post, but please don't throw around the 'you are a mod, you should know better' argument.

looksee wrote: »
    Mod: I am posting as a mod here, robindch was posting as a regular poster. You can tell the difference by the bolded bit at the start. You may not agree with robindch's opinion and are free to argue the case or report the post, but please don't throw around the 'you are a mod, you should know better' argument.

Fair enough but they normally do but Ill lower my expectations in future. Ok may I ask Robindch to put up some quotes and not opinion as to why Tucker is a racist ? I don't have Fox but as far as I can see from Youtube vids Carlson normally tries to get people on to comment on some news dejour. Racist isn't a word I'd use to describe him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

What does this thread have to do with Atheism and Agnosticism ?

It's a Mish mash of gobbly guk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

What does this thread have to do with Atheism and Agnosticism ?

It's a Mish mash of gobbly guk

We have broad tastes...

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

MrPudding wrote: »
    We have broad tastes...

MrP

Any of ye into fishing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Fishing for souls? We have no problem with you starting a fishing thread so long as it has a broad interest and isn't just aimed at fishermen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Any of ye into fishing ?

Not really. I will presume you haven't actually read many posts in this particular thread. The genesis of it was the proclivity for the GOP to produce religious nut-jobs as candidates for the presidency, hence the title.

That was several US elections ago, clearly the powers of evolution have been at work on the thread since then.

if you don't think it is particularly relevant to you I am fairly sure there is nothing in the rules of this forum that force you to read it.

MrP

Its still a jump to call him a racist, as a mod you should have a higher standard of posting and not post as if this is this is a Youtube comments section.
    You perhaps didn't notice that I didn't call Carlson a racist. Though I did dog-whistle to suggest that he and his mates lean in that direction.
    Ok may I ask Robindch to put up some quotes and not opinion as to why Tucker is a racist? [...] Racist isn't a word I'd use to describe him.
    As with many trash-media front-men, Carlson avoids openly racist comments - and certainly went out of his way to deny that his show is racist. Curiously, he seems to have failed to mention what his views were.

He seems quite happy enough to engage in a range of hard-right dog-whistling - for example, here, he's saying that there are no KKK input into the hard-right, white supremacist site Breitbart which he seems happy enough to consume himself.

And here he is discussing a website called 'Gab' which - to judge from the content quoted in the article and on the site's front-page content just now - seems to be just another hard-right, anti-islamic website providing trash newsbites suitable for its angry consumer base:

https://thinkprogress.org/tucker-carlson-promotes-white-nationalist-social-media-site-f5d1bb156d1d/

Again, it's not conclusive evidence that Carlson is a racist, but then again, I didn't call him one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Fox is just the mirror of CNN or MSNBC , ultimately they are all garbage. Its still a jump to call him a racist, as a mod you should have a higher standard of posting and not post as if this is this is a Youtube comments section.

Sorry, but this oft repeated line that Foxnews is the balance to MSNBC is complete BS. Fox "news" contributors are often purposely misleading and sometimes downright liars, in order to further their agenda.

Now We're including CNN as a pro Dem network? Laughable.

There is no one on MSNBC as far left as Hannity is to the right. There isn't a single show on Fox with even a centrist host.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Now We're including CNN as a pro Dem network? Laughable.
    CNN spend most of their time trying to find links between Trump and Russia.

Are there any mackerel in this year?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

recedite wrote: »
    CNN spend most of their time trying to find links between Trump and Russia.

Are there any mackerel in this year?

CNN don't have to look very hard to find it.

Does investigating a story mean you're inherently biased?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

You perhaps didn't notice that I didn't call Carlson a racist. Though I did dog-whistle to suggest that he and his mates lean in that direction.As with many trash-media front-men, Carlson avoids openly racist comments - and certainly went out of his way to deny that his show is racist. Curiously, he seems to have failed to mention what his views were.

He seems quite happy enough to engage in a range of hard-right dog-whistling - for example, here, he's saying that there are no KKK input into the hard-right, white supremacist site Breitbart which he seems happy enough to consume himself.

And here he is discussing a website called 'Gab' which - to judge from the content quoted in the article and on the site's front-page content just now - seems to be just another hard-right, anti-islamic website providing trash newsbites suitable for its angry consumer base:

https://thinkprogress.org/tucker-carlson-promotes-white-nationalist-social-media-site-f5d1bb156d1d/

Again, it's not conclusive evidence that Carlson is a racist, but then again, I didn't call him one.

but saying hed like his eggs white cant be interpreted any other way. I don't know much about Gab, but if he is defending it its on free speech terms I'd imagine so not sure there is much there.

Out of curiosity do you think Dr. Suess is racist? :D

Advertisement