Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old pictures of Arklow (esp. fishing boats)

Options
  • 28-06-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭

My great-grandfather, and his father before him, were Arklow fishermen. Their combined period of activity ranged from before 1850 to a bit after 1900. I can't trace back earlier than that, but there might have been fishermen in the family even before them.

I have Jim Rees's book on the Arklow Fishery, and it helps me get an idea of what sort of life they lived. But it's not primarily a picture book, and I do not have a clear image of the type of boats they used. I understand that they were probably Arklow Yawls, with an eight-man crew.

Can anybody point me to where I might find pictures that give me some impression of what they were like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

The national archive has turned up some nice, albeit mislabelled, photos

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The national archive has turned up some nice, albeit mislabelled, photos

Thanks.

I'm now hoping for an image that particularly features an Arklow Yawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

there is a group on facebook called "arklow then and now", join that group and post this question.

theres 1000s of old photos from arklow posted on the group pages - so you might even stumble upon something interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

tradtshirt wrote: »
    there is a group on facebook called "arklow then and now", join that group and post this question.

theres 1000s of old photos from arklow posted on the group pages - so you might even stumble upon something interesting

Thanks. It's a private group. I asked to join, and nothing happened. If you are in the group, perhaps you might ask the owner if she will allow me in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There is a colossal photo archive here. Although not directly related to Arklow it does have input from townlands in the vicinity of Woodenbridge and it is very likely that you would find someone there who could help your research. The group's founder, is remarkably helpful and obliging. The group is open to all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement