Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurt Ironman 2012

Options
  • 24-06-2011 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Possibly thinking of doing frankfurt ironman in 2012. This will be my 1st IM so is it a good race to do. I know it sells out pretty fast so ill have to be on the ball. Has anyone done this before and can shed some light on getting there, race organisiation, bike course, run course etc. I was tossing up between this and Austria and i know alot of irish do austria but just frankfurt seems easier to get to etc and not as expensive. Anyone shed light on the "ironman" subject of races etc...

Cheers dudes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

It opened over a week ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭sherdo2010

ya i know but theres a second date entering on july 25th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭PatientBear

sherdo2010 wrote: »
    Possibly thinking of doing frankfurt ironman in 2012. This will be my 1st IM so is it a good race to do. I know it sells out pretty fast so ill have to be on the ball. Has anyone done this before and can shed some light on getting there, race organisiation, bike course, run course etc. I was tossing up between this and Austria and i know alot of irish do austria but just frankfurt seems easier to get to etc and not as expensive. Anyone shed light on the "ironman" subject of races etc...

Cheers dudes

Hi Man, first thing is best of luck with your first IM, I hope you do well.

If memory serves (I haven't done the course personally but have heard from other in the community) the Frankfurt race is quite flat and its popular because you will get the best times on that course, as opposed to somewhere windy like (I think) Fuerteventura.

Check the course profile, it should be up on the website, and you'll see quickly what it's like in terms of gradients. This was the first thing I did when I selected a race.

Hope some other IM who has done Frankfurt will respond to your post as I'm quite interested in learning more myself!

Cheers dudes

Hi Man, first thing is best of luck with your first IM, I hope you do well.

If memory serves (I haven't done the course personally but have heard from other in the community) the Frankfurt race is quite flat and its popular because you will get the best times on that course, as opposed to somewhere windy like (I think) Fuerteventura.

Check the course profile, it should be up on the website, and you'll see quickly what it's like in terms of gradients. This was the first thing I did when I selected a race.

Hope some other IM who has done Frankfurt will respond to your post as I'm quite interested in learning more myself!

The average time in Frankfurt is alot faster than same Lake Placid. That means Frankfurt must be a fast course right? Or could it mean the depth of field is stronger in Frankfurt?

Frankfurt is 50/50 a non wetsuit swim. There are cobbled climbs on the bike and a large number of 90 turns as it goes around the city centre.

It's not a slow course by any stretching then imagination though.

LCD (current IM record holder) reckons Austria is faster.

tunney wrote: »
    The average time in Frankfurt is alot faster than same Lake Placid. That means Frankfurt must be a fast course right? Or could it mean the depth of field is stronger in Frankfurt?

Frankfurt is 50/50 a non wetsuit swim. There are cobbled climbs on the bike and a large number of 90 turns as it goes around the city centre.

Cheers for the reply. Ya i heard about the cobbled climb's alright but atmosphere is ment to be unreal around that. think the bike course has a few tough climbs but its reasonably flat. Ive heard that the bike course could be 183k ot even 188k and i was wondering was that true cos just managing the 180k will be a tough task and hopefully thats all you have to do. Ya Id say frankfurt would be a stronger field alright as its the european champs so that would attract a few more bodies. Was also thinkin of austria but getting there seems to be awkward as you gotta either get two flights or do a fairly long drive to klagenfurt. And i heard its not cheap where as frankfurt you can just fly into with a couple of airlines and germany's not as expensive.

Anyone got any other info let us know???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Was also thinkin of austria but getting there seems to be awkward as you gotta either get two flights or do a fairly long drive to klagenfurt.

Yeah, two flights seems to be the way if you're not happy to fly + drive. Austria sells out pretty fast.

Given it's an ironman, its going to be hard. If price and ease of travel is an issue would you consider one of the uk branded (or non-branded) events? Less demand means you'd have a bit more time to make decisions on it too.

kingQuez wrote: »
    Yeah, two flights seems to be the way if you're not happy to fly + drive. Austria sells out pretty fast.

Given it's an ironman, its going to be hard. If price and ease of travel is an issue would you consider one of the uk branded (or non-branded) events? Less demand means you'd have a bit more time to make decisions on it too.

I know i suppose if travel was an issue i should be doin uk or even wales. im flyin over this year to watch a friend in bolton on july 31st. but the other reason ive heard uk is very badly organised and lack of atmosphere and also road surface in uk wouldnt be as fast as in europe when ur in the saddle for around 6hrs etc... nice smooth european roads sound better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭PatientBear

I know i suppose if travel was an issue i should be doin uk or even wales. im flyin over this year to watch a friend in bolton on july 31st. but the other reason ive heard uk is very badly organised and lack of atmosphere and also road surface in uk wouldnt be as fast as in europe when ur in the saddle for around 6hrs etc... nice smooth european roads sound better..

I did half and full distance IMs in the UK some years ago when they were held in Exeter and Sherborne. The half distance was God awful with many steep hills on a course you did three times! It was also a pain in the ass to get to.

The Sherborne IM was not nearly as bad, although it was longer. However, they moved the course from Sherborne and I don't know what the new one is like.

As for organisation, both races were fine and I had no issues regarding that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Does it have to be IM branded? I completed the Challenge Half in Barca a few weeks back (I think the full is in Oct). It was well run, a fast course and easy to get to. They have a few full distance courses available on their site and they do not sell out as fast...well apart from Roth.

Does it have to be IM branded? I completed the Challenge Half in Barca a few weeks back (I think the full is in Oct). It was well run, a fast course and easy to get to. They have a few full distance courses available on their site and they do not sell out as fast...well apart from Roth.

ya pretty much looking for Mdot ironman. i donno for my 1st one i think thats what everyone goes for. if that wasnt the case id do roth and the reviews and reports on that are nothing but good.

so has anyone done frankfurt or heard of anyone doin it and what did they say???? lookin for loads of replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

There are 3 decent climbs on each loop in Frankfurt not including the cobble section . The bike course was 183.4 km last yr due to roadworks...but should be back to 180 this year. Lake placid is tougher as there is a 20k drag into the town on each loop at 70 and 160k. German roads are better than lake placids also.

ya i know but theres a second date entering on july 25th

It still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Paddytierney

Yeah it's still open man I entered today

Yeah it's still open man I entered today

well have u done any before?? did you hesitate just before u confirmed it???

Ha ha yeah I did hesitate alright now I can't get to bloody sleep cos I'm 95k out on the bike and I've no gels left ha...

Am in also

Am in also
    Fair play man best of luck to you

Fair play man best of luck to you

Likewise.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

I signed up on Monday for this too! :D
    Roll on the pain! I hope its not a non-wetsuit Jobie - i wont sink but id like to get a helping hand from the wetsuit! ;)

What the deal with the two swim starts - 15mins apart? pro's 1st wave and us peasant's 2nd ?

tinydave wrote: »
    I signed up on Monday for this too! :D
    Roll on the pain! I hope its not a non-wetsuit Jobie - i wont sink but id like to get a helping hand from the wetsuit! ;)

What the deal with the two swim starts - 15mins apart? pro's 1st wave and us peasant's 2nd ?

First wave is entry by applicant only. backed up by results.

I was in it last year with my mates.

One got in by saying "I did kona in 9:30, I'm top end of AG i should be in it"
    Another got in by based on Austria 70.30 results.
    I got in on IM Austria results.

I'd recommend applying as its clean smooth water and alot more pleasant. 200 going off rather than 2000. yes the 5x swimmers may catch you but fast feet in last 400m......

• Advertisement

How do you apply for it?
    id be looking around just over an hour mark hopefully ...

How do you apply for it?
    id be looking around just over an hour mark hopefully ...

Not based on swim time alone. Aimed at the "elite AGer".

I felt a fraud at the elite ager registration desk, easily the fattest bloke at it. Swore I'd never enter above my station again.

(Although I never learn)

i will be in the 2nd wave so :D:pac:

do they have two sets of clocks on the course... i dont want my finishline shot to be 15mins slower than i was! :)

do they have two sets of clocks on the course... i dont want my finishline shot to be 15mins slower than i was! :)

nope.

nope.

Looks like myself and tunny might be fraudsters at the elite ager registration desk so!

i thought that all the ironmans are just one start, thats gonna be a pain with the finisher photo!

nope.

Should have done a bit more reading when I signed up. I disliked what I've heard about the wave starts at the 70.3s; half the attraction of the race is the single mass start. Theres more important stuff in life to get annoyed about, but this does sorta suck.

Looks like myself and tunny might be fraudsters at the elite ager registration desk so!

i thought that all the ironmans are just one start, thats gonna be a pain with the finisher photo!

I'd intened on being legit at it.

tunnEy
    Should have done a bit more reading when I signed up. I disliked what I've heard about the wave starts at the 70.3s; half the attraction of the race is the single mass start. Theres more important stuff in life to get annoyed about, but this does sorta suck.

Its a great race and the finishing cute is superb!

I checked the photos - the finishers clock says the time from the SECOND wave. So mine was 15 minutes faster :)

The finisher photos in Frankfurt suck. They are a mile away up high or way out of shot. Well they were in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Great race and great support on the course (well not particularly on the swim course). Run course is perfect, and down on the river.

Enjoy it if your going.

Advertisement