Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New junctions on the way in to Wicklow...why not roundabouts?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not already, apologies if it has, but I was wondering if anyone knew what the story was with the new junctions when coming in to the North of Wicklow.

Why didn't they make them roundabouts instead of traffic lit junctions? Seems like really bad planning to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It is.... it can take nearly 10 mins to get from 1 end of town to Rathnew now a days.

The Grand hotel/Marlton Road Junction is an awkward one because the junction seems to give equal priority to both directions though vastly more traffic comes from main street /Abbey street than the Marlton Road.
    But the council said poor site lines prohibited a roundabout.

The whitegates junction is another pain but mabey the fire station requires that road to have such a generous traffic light priority (though I reckon its more about the council workers than anything else.

Some days I take the leitrim place/port access road (fat boulevard) when leaving town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭BigMoose

When driving into Wicklow over the weekend I asked the exact same question to those in the car with me re why not roundabouts. It does seem extremely bad planning. I also would go the port road if heading into the town and I think of it in time. Maybe that's the point though, get as much traffic off that road as possible by annoying them into using an alternative route.

Advertisement