Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alleged child abduction Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

I live in that road... how awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Gardaí say they have had no other reports of any similar incidents in the area in recent times.

They must have forgetten about the rape in broad daylight of the 13 year old in Wicklow town by two men in April and the rape of a 14 year old girl in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

RTE -

The ten-year-old girl says she was approached by the occupants of a white car as she was waiting for a friend on the Boghall Road while on her way to school.

Wicklow News -

A white car approached the girl and the sole male occupant then forced her into the back seat.

So who is right?

Was it a white car with more than one person we must look out for or just a single male in a white car ? Conflicting reports don't get results.

Any local news if this was a family issue? i.e. father trying to abduct his daughter
    the 13 year old in Wicklow town by two men in April

These two guys were picked up right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

vicwatson wrote: »
    RTE -

The ten-year-old girl says she was approached by the occupants of a white car as she was waiting for a friend on the Boghall Road while on her way to school.

Wicklow News -

A white car approached the girl and the sole male occupant then forced her into the back seat.

So who is right?

Was it a white car with more than one person we must look out for or just a single male in a white car ? Conflicting reports don't get results.

I didn't notice that at all! :eek:

Any local news if this was a family issue? i.e. father trying to abduct his daughter

These two guys were picked up right?

This was the first thing I thought of too.

Something similar happened at the other end of Bray a year or two ago, and it turned out to be the child's father.

I am only going by official reports, and hearsay, neither of which contain much insight, so I am not going to speculate one way or another.

Interested to know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

I also though the same thing initially.

What a very brave little girl to escape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Not a Family issue at all, the Dad was on Ryan Tubridy this morning telling the story. Very lucky Girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

The Dad was on with Ryan Tubridy- She was sitting on the wall waiting for her friend the friend didn't show she decided to start walking to school. The guy pulled up and told her to get in the car she said NO. He then got out of the car grabbed her by the wrist and forced her into the back of the car- She got out the other door and ran to school. She told the school who rang the parents the poor Dad was pretty cut up talking about it. The bastard was driving a white Golf and wearing a baseball cap and had a bandana covering his face -the want anyone in the area to come forward who may have seen the car and thought it was a parent trying to put the child in the car. There was a attempted abduction in Tallaght not long ago too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

I'm from the area but wouldn't be around in the mornings. Would be interested to know if it's an old / new Golf, I'm into the cars. I take it we can assume it's 5 - door given that she got out the other side.

Found the Tubbers link, thanks to the poster who mentioned it (didn't know the father was on) link: http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_tubridy.xml

Right bastard he was, leaving aside what could've happened that'll be on her mind in some form for the rest of her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Why are cars and vans in reports like this always white?

She was blessed that she had the good sense to jump out the other side of the car -some kids would be frozen with pure fear.

• Advertisement

00112984 wrote: »
    Why are cars and vans in reports like this always white?

I think its a generic thing there is nothing distinctive about them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Is it true she jumped out at a red light? Rumours everywhere..
    If not, how did she escape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Doesnt matter how she got away,what matters is she did.Thank god she thought on her feet.

Thing is if they ever catch him what do you get these days in Ireland or anywhere for attempted abduction.
    slap on the wrist and back out again.:rolleyes:

caseyann wrote: »
    Doesnt matter how she got away,what matters is she did.Thank god she thought on her feet.

Thing is if they ever catch him what do you get these days in Ireland or anywhere for attempted abduction.
    slap on the wrist and back out again.:rolleyes:

Presumably he'll be on the radar at least, though I'm not sure that counts for much here ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

ahal wrote: »
    Presumably he'll be on the radar at least, though I'm not sure that counts for much here ...

I see they actually have a facebook page for these things.http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parents-beware-of-attempted-child-abductions-DublinLouthWicklow/125522330793705

It would be great if the stuck their pictures all over papers.Name them and shame them when caught.
    I dont think it does either,they are hands tied on everything in this country the Garda that is.Do their job and the courts letting them down and justice system.
    They must be just as frustrated as us.

They know it's a white VW golf, they know he is in his thirties, can't they check the database of owners of all white VW golfs and follow up?

Maybe it's not as simple as that, but it's a damn start. I wonder if it can be linked - white vw golf, male owners, date of birth, area south Dublin and north Wicklow (to start) - press enter and see what comes up !

I'm sure the Gardai are already doing that but if not why not.

Absolutely. I was only thinking, I can remember but two white golfs in Bray. I hate to bring up Bundy, but a tear in the seat of his Beetle went a long way towards catching him. It's possible in the days / weeks ahead that things will come back to the little girl ... though she did 200% brilliantly as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I am assuming the police have ruled out the kid being late for school and.........

This is a major problem as a google search will show.

Calibos wrote: »
    I am assuming the police have ruled out the kid being late for school and.........

This is a major problem as a google search will show.

The Mail newspaper reports that the investigation has been shelved and the Gardai are 'no longer investigating the case'.

Having thought quite a bit about this, one thing sort of jumps out at me. If the girl fled the car in a traffic jam, did she close the back door again? That would seem very unlikely.

That would leave two scenarios: 1/ the driver getting out of the car, walking around the car, and shutting the door and getting back in.

2/ The driver driving away with the back door still open. In a Golf sized car (if any car) you can't reach the back door from the driver's seat. Both scenarios would certainly draw a lot of attention.

How he'd find somewhere to stop is beyond me, at that hour of the morning. Anyone stopping on that road at that time would instantly cause an obstruction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I'm so glad she managed to escape, I can't imagine what might have happened if she hadn't!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Calibos wrote: »
    The Mail newspaper reports that the investigation has been shelved and the Gardai are 'no longer investigating the case'.

Two tonnes of salt with most of these sort of stories.
    They are like UFO sightings, never an independent witness, never a good description of either car or alleged abductor(s) - except sometimes 'foreign' (ahem).

Kids with their wits enough about them to get out of cars but not enough to remember part of a number plate.

Saaron wrote: »
    I'm so glad she managed to escape, I can't imagine what might have happened if she hadn't!

Perhaps in my efforts not to offend or to draw the ire of all those previous indignant posters less cynical than I, before all the facts were in......I may have been too cryptic in my earlier posts and they've gone over your head.

I was implying that I hoped the Gardai had ruled out this being a tall tale by the young girl to explain being late for class or something like that before wasting manhours and resources. Googling ' Child lies about attempted abduction' brought the motherload of hits.

The wording of todays story in the Herald and the Mail is the media's cryptic way of saying that the Gardai now believe the kid lied about an attempted abduction. Kind of like how the word suicide is rarely mentioned in news stories but the phrase, 'Died in tragic circumstances' (as opposed to 'in a tragic accident') is mediaspeak for suicide.

The wording of todays story in the Herald and the Mail

Do you have a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

NB - At no point in the article does it state that it didn't happen.

An interesting article nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

bullvine wrote: »

i don't recall adding "looks like it didnt happen." but i could be mistaken

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

bullvine wrote: »

These are two posts merged together.

You posted one after another and the "looks like it didnt happen" part was the second post. :)

All off topic posts removed. In future if there is an issue with moderation please drop one of us a pm.

Advertisement