Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visitors to Wicklow at the weekends please read:

Options
  • 12-06-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

When driving on the Wicklow roads please use the Rules of the Road to educate yourself on what to do if you meet horses on the road, this weekend while out hacking many motorists in the area seem totally oblivious to animals on the road, despite being asked to slow down. They speed past ignoring our signals.

From the rules of the road: If a person in charge of animals gives a signal to slow down or stop, you must obey it.

Thankfully no harm was caused but might not have been the case if it was a younger horse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Unlike the U.K. where drivers treat riders with due care, this place here is full of thick arrogant gurriers who see it as a laugh to frighten animal and human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I always slow down to walking pace when passing horses and give them as wide a berth as the road allows.
    Most riders acknowledge this but I find an increasing number that do not. I'm not asking them to get down of their horses and kiss my bonnet or anything like that, but a wave or nod of the head would be a courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the above is fair enough but I would also remind those in charge of horses that you should be tidying up after them, just like your dogs and not leaving **** all over the roads.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

I do understand your point but there is a large misconception about horse s****.

Horse s*** is more considerably more 'bio-degradable' than dog s***

Dog s*** is made of putrid digested meat whereas horses only eat grains/ grass/hay and carries considerably less diseases and bacteria.

I can appreciate you wanting us to clean it up but we would need a rucksack sometimes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

missloulou wrote: »
    I do understand your point but there is a large misconception about horse s****.

Dog s*** is made of putrid digested meat whereas horses only eat grains/ grass/hay and carries considerably less diseases and bacteria.

I can appreciate you wanting us to clean it up but we would need a rucksack sometimes:D

so bring a rucksack

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Frankly, I don't give a damn about how biodegradable a pile of horseshït is, and don't want to be forced to walk in it. Horses drop one hell of a lot more than dogs, and as such, cause a hell of a lot more inconvenience for walkers. Please be more considerate to walkers, and clean up your pet's mess, whether it be a dog, horse, or elephant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I live in the middle of nowhere, with usually quiet roads, but I won't take a horse on the roads at the weekend (esp Sundays) because of idiot drivers. They literally have no concept of anything. Seriously.

About 2 weeks ago I passed a car (with a 10-D reg plate) parked on the road. Even though it was parked on a bend, it wasn't the worst thing. Turned out the occupants were a family who got out to go for a walk. Again, that's quite nice. Except they were under the impression that because they were on a country road they could leave the kids run a muck, and when I appraoched very slowly, I was forced to stop while the parents frantically tried to catch the 4 young kids, all under 8, I'd say, and bring them to the side of the road. In all the hassle, they forgot about thier dog, which was not on the lead, and left it to run up to my car, not bothering to call it back. And worse still, they didn't even bother to thank me, or even look at me, for stopping so I wouldn't hit their stupid kids or dogs.

I actually avoid driving if at all possible at the weekends because of 'Sunday drivers', who seem oblivious to the rules of the road - they don't seem to understand road signs (especially stop signs), are liable to stop in the middle of the road (literally) when they see something they want to look at, and don't remember to use indicators when turning. They also have a nasty habit of driving out onto main roads in front of oncoming traffic! I think I posted about this in the ranting and raving forum a while back... Must go look for it...

I didn't realise how bad drivers are here until I drove in the UK on quite a few occasions 2 years ago. They are really great - no tailgating, understand how to drive on the motorways, and understand the importance of slowing down when meeting cyclists, walkers and horses.

Oh, and while I've ranted about the bad drivers, I'd just like to thank all the considerate drivers out there... Thanks for driving with due care and consideration! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Please be more considerate to walkers

And I'd ask for walkers to be considerate to other road users in the country, stop walking 3 abreast on narrow roads and forcing cars to get off the road so that they can continue to take up over half the road and carry on their conversation without even saluting the motorist who got out of their way! :mad:

Nobody owns the roads and nobody should be prevented from using them. It's up to all road users - walkers, cyclists, riders, car/jeep/bus/lorry/tractor drivers, etc. - to have the common sense, courtesy and consideration to ensure our roads are safe and continue to be enjoyed by everyone who uses them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Frankly, I don't give a damn about how biodegradable a pile of horseshït is, and don't want to be forced to walk in it. Horses drop one hell of a lot more than dogs, and as such, cause a hell of a lot more inconvenience for walkers. Please be more considerate to walkers, and clean up your pet's mess, whether it be a dog, horse, or elephant.

Sorry can't agree here. I'd take a ton of horse**** over a pound of dog****, and this coming from an owner of two dogs (and no horses). I'd prefer not to have to step around either, but do feel the horse stuff way less offensive.

loobylou wrote: »
    Sorry can't agree here. I'd take a ton of horse**** over a pound of dog****, and this coming from an owner of two dogs (and no horses). I'd prefer not to have to step around either, but do feel the horse stuff way less offensive.

and soil and muck is even less offensive but farmers/ builders are still required to clean it off the roads after them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

loobylou wrote: »

Try saying that as you come around a bend on a motorbike and encounter a big pile of horse sh*te in the middle of the road! Not the nicest of experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

I can appreciate your comments but the thread was about people sticking to the Law i.e. Rules of the Road, not about pet peeves, start your own thread instead of hijacking mine :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I can appreciate your comments but the thread was about people sticking to the Law i.e. Rules of the Road, not about pet peeves, start your own thread instead of hijacking mine :P

please refrain from back seat modding

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

He he. have to agree with you on your first post OP though. A little consideration towards those in charge of animals costs nothing, delays you only a moment but does make a huge difference!

ps the RotR are not law ;)

just to move a little off topic for the moment. recently came across some riders up in Carrickmines, on the roundabout that feeds the M50 north, ie an extremely busy road. Now I know they are perfectly entitled to be there and I have no issue with that but it just struck me as a little reckless on the part of the riders to expose their horses to such a busy junction. I can't really figure out where they were coming from or going to along that route that's any quieter or safer. Do you think its fair on the horses to expose to roads like that?

Advertisement