Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping on The Wicklow Way

Options
  • 05-06-2011 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey guys,

Myself and a group of friends (around 6 in total) are planning on walking the Wicklow Way in July from Marley Park to Glendalough.

Does anyone know the situation on Camping anywhere? Is it a case of if you leave no trace no one would really mind or is there any specific places people have camped?... I know the situation on fires its just places to stick a tent for the night really.... Leaving nothing behind is given it'd be like we we're never there

Thanks for Any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

night 1:
    above powerscourt waterfall

night 2: Lough Dan scout centre if you can get permission, otherwise you can bivvy in the woods above it, too steep for tent though

night 3:
    we camped beside a girder bridge on some back road the route comes along for a while. South of Aughavanna but can't remember exactly where...

night 4: we asked a local farmer could we use his field and he said no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Great idea, just talking to a mate today. We are thinking about bringing our kids camping for the first time. So 3 adults and 3-4 kids(4-8 yr olds).
    Any recommendations for the North Wicklow area?

Would like somewhere in woods with river or lake closeby and safe from young lads drinkin or such. The kids would all be good walkers if we needed to hike in from the road.

Cheers,
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I think bringing kids for the first time, you would be better off in an official camp site with facilities, River Valley and Hidden Valley in Wicklow are superb for children. Roundwood is good, but not as children focussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I think bringing kids for the first time, you would be better off in an official camp site with facilities, River Valley and Hidden Valley in Wicklow are superb for children. Roundwood is good, but not as children focussed.

Must agree. I stayed in Hidden Valley and River Valley and both are reccommended but particularly River Valley, the facilities are terrific, plus you can let the kids roam safely and they'll meet other kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Try Glenmalure, a couple of great spots to camp with a super waterfall and lots of walks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Glenmalure gets a bit of hammering in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055998215 .

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Holy guacamole.
    How can we go camping now?
    It all seemed like sucha good idea at the time. 3 old friends from the city. grown up now with young kids....
    a good way to reconnect would be to get a few tents and our kids and go to anice quiet forest, teach them how to build a fire etc.. bring a few tinnies once the kids are asleep. have a laugh.

Didnt realise everyone else and their Mutha has the same idea except not so wholesome or 'leave-no-trace'.

Need to re-think this one.

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wouldn't necessarily assume that because of one famous and popular area being ruined means you won't find anywhere! You just know where to avoid now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Darragh McD

Holy guacamole.
    How can we go camping now?
    It all seemed like sucha good idea at the time. 3 old friends from the city. grown up now with young kids....
    a good way to reconnect would be to get a few tents and our kids and go to anice quiet forest, teach them how to build a fire etc.. bring a few tinnies once the kids are asleep. have a laugh.

Didnt realise everyone else and their Mutha has the same idea except not so wholesome or 'leave-no-trace'.

Need to re-think this one.

Cheers guys.

I know it is desperate... I'm only just turned 17 myself and i'm ashamed to say it really is just my generation it's all about the drink and partying... it's sad to see some people need to drink to have a good time... and even if you do have a few keep it so you know whats going on and have common sense and respect for both the people and places around you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Strandlope

Hi there, I did the walk from Knockree to Roundwood with 3 others a couple of weeks ago, and did Marlay Park to Glendalough last year.

Both times we did 'wild camping' and had no problems, as we chose campsites that were far from others and not visible from the trail.

The one place to avoid camping is above the Powerscourt waterfall, along the river Dargle that flows over it. It is popular and there were some young lads there with a bit too much noise/drink etc both times.

But the Wicklow Way is a wonderful and friendly walk so don't let a few kids put you off.

Are you allowed to "wild camp" in the Wicklow Mountains National Parks? Yes (you do not need a permit or permission) but camping is subject to the Code of Practice.
    http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/WildCamping.html

Are you allowed to "wild camp" in the Coilte areas?
    Yes, but you will need permission which you can obtain from the rangers and camping is also subject to the Code of Practice.
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/Coillte_Eng_12.pdf

There is a good hostel (Knockree) which is perfect for an overnight stay for your first night from Marlay Park. I haven't stayed there myself, but it is recommended online.

The next night I would suggest finding somewhere wild to camp, either further up the river Dargle or else along the base of Djouce mountain.

The next night I would suggest either the formal campsites in Roundwood, or somwhere along Lough Dan (especially if you can get permission from the scouts).

The next night I would suggest near the wild camping shelter which is somewhere between Roundwood & Glendalough.

You may not camp in the Glendalough valley - so plan around that.

One last thing I would say is don't forget the insect repellant. The midges are determined!

With this many nights on your trip you won't be walking more than 4 hours a day so it should be pretty relaxed. Hope you have a good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

excellent post above, just to add to it there are shelters in place along the Wicklow way, I don't know if you would find these suitable and there is no guarantee they won't be in use but it is one more option for you

http://www.wicklowway.com/articles/mountain-meitheal.php

Advertisement