Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaling Sugarloaf

Options
  • 05-06-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Is it possible to scale the Sugarloaf from the steep side? Any advice or issues?

Cheers,
    B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

All sides are steep :p

yes, you can scale it either from the car park on the shoulder or from Kilmacanogue itself.

Advice, none really its an easy climb, easy enough for all the knackers to hike up with their dutch gold even on sunny days

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

I ran the top cliff walk couple days ago for first time. 13 yrs living in Bray and never done it! As soon as I got to the cross there was the local Bray oulfellas drinking Dutch Gold with their grandkids or kids, looked like grandkids.Imagine goin for a session with your mates in yer fifties and bringing 8 yr olds. At sunrise its simply breathtaking place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Hiya,
    I would love to this but have no idea from what direction to approach it. Can anyone tell me where is the best point to start walking? I am not super fit but of a normal level and enjoy walking. It it a challenge to climb the mountain? How long does it take?
    Thanks a mil!

Do you mean Sugarloaf or Bray Head?
    From what the other poster said, it seems that Sugraloaf is fine. Especially if you park on the west side and walk up the easy gradient.

Bray Head is fine anyway you ascend up to the cross. then its plain sailing on the cliff walk. Theres 2 cliff walks. one at the cross, with no railings etc. and one lower down just above the train tracks.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Do you mean Sugarloaf or Bray Head?
    From what the other poster said, it seems that Sugraloaf is fine. Especially if you park on the west side and walk up the easy gradient.

Bray Head is fine anyway you ascend up to the cross. then its plain sailing on the cliff walk. Theres 2 cliff walks. one at the cross, with no railings etc. and one lower down just above the train tracks.

B

No I mean the actual Sugarloaf. Bray Head can be done in 20 minutes! I just don't know where (what entrance etc, like is it in Kilmacanogue, west of the N11 or whatever) to start the ascent on the Sugarloaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Muas Tenek

Rasmus wrote: »
    No I mean the actual Sugarloaf. Bray Head can be done in 20 minutes! I just don't know where (what entrance etc, like is it in Kilmacanogue, west of the N11 or whatever) to start the ascent on the Sugarloaf.

From N11 follow signs for Roundwood / Glendalough.
    About 6 kms you will come to the building in this thread.
    Turn left and about 1km further you will come across the carpark on your left.
    This is a decent walk from the West, for a more challenging route tackle it from the East side - from Quill Road which is off the Bridge ramp opposite Glencormac Inn.

Where do you park to tackle the east ascent?

And whreres the entry point?

I presume I wont get into trouble half way up and have to drink my own urine like Bear Grills

B

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Muas Tenek

I usually park in the pub car park and walk up the Quill road. There are several access points from this road but the first is a little laneway near the start of the road that leads up to the GAA field just go around the field and the rest is common land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭.243

Where do you park to tackle the east ascent?

And whreres the entry point?

I presume I wont get into trouble half way up and have to drink my own urine like Bear Grills

B
    there isnt really a desiginated trail on the east side, but if you wanted to is start from the gaa pitch,
    this would as close as you would get to it by car follow the small road between the dual carrigeway over pass and the pancake roundabout,when you turn onto the small road off the main road it takes a sharp left bend ignore this and drive straight for about a 1/4 of a mile and the gaa pitch is on your right

Advertisement