Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Establishments with the best fry-ups of your area

• 30-05-2011 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently I went into the Porterhouse (Parliment Street, Dublin city), and had a nice greasy fry, washed down by a decent cup of tae. Was driving, so no pintage.

Got me thinking: where do you go for that fry-up the morning after consuming many a pint?

When at home in Leixlip, Kildare, if feeling lazy after a night of darts and drink, I'd go down to the small cafe in Leixlip Shopping Mall (next to the Post Office). A decent cup of tea, but unfortunately the fry isn't always that greasy. And I find a greasy fry is needed the morning after a night of pints.

When in Galway city, it's usually Garvey's Select Bar. Being right next to the train/bus station is an added bonus, as the feed I get there is usually quite filling, and I am never in the mood for a pace any faster than a stagger to the station.

There is another place in Galways city that I once used to frequent, but forget the name of it. It would be on one of the streets leading off Eyre Square, on the left hand side, and the wood around the windows would be painted green. It'd do an excellent greasy fry, but I cannot find it :(

If in Tullamore town, Loughreys does a good fry. It was also the only place I could find open so early on a Sunday morn :D

So, where do you go for a good greasy fry-up? And does any other brother know of a place that they'd recommend nearby the Christchurch area in Dublin city?
    Apologies for making ye all hungry, but this is what comes into my mind when sitting in work on a Monday morn :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

An Cuan Cistin in Edenderry have one of the best places to get a savage fry-up

19576503.jpg

Also, there is a place in Ballyfermot, Food for Thought which is ridiculously good food.

DSC00053_medium.JPG?1246294669

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

the chanter, edinburgh.

http://www.thechanterpub.co.uk/

£4.75 tasty large fry up and a pint. can't beat it. only problem is the pints are so cheap you end up staying there all day and repeating again the next day. vicious circle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Fraynes in mullingar, near the joe dolan statue, full all day brekkie for 7 euro, loads of tea and breads with it, always top quality with the loveliest staff, they are a bakery too.

Jays in celbridge, upstairs over the centra facing the bridge. Cooked fresh while you wait, nothing better than the 10 minutes smelling your fry up cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Del Rio's chipper opposite the Abbey Theatre do a fantastic fry up. Bacon, sausages, pudding, egg and chips. Large pot of strong tea and toast. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jays in celbridge, upstairs over the centra facing the bridge. Cooked fresh while you wait, nothing better than the 10 minutes smelling your fry up cook.
    Didn't even know that place existed! :D Any idea on how much it cost?
    Orion wrote: »
    Del Rio's chipper opposite the Abbey Theatre do a fantastic fry up. Bacon, sausages, pudding, egg and chips. Large pot of strong tea and toast. Happy out.
    Sounds good. Any chance of a price tag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

I think this thread should include a rough price too, otherwise I don't care how good it is!!!:cool:

Has to be good value.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

Teach Dolmain in Carlow all day Brekkie €7.95 toast, tae , the works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

the_syco wrote: »
    Orion wrote: »
    Sounds good. Any chance of a price tag?
    9 yippos for that. There's other options too. All around the same price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just remembered; Mother Hubbards in Moyvalley, Co. Kildare. I think they do a (very) full "Irish Breakfast" all day for a tenner. Big pot of tea, lots of toast & brown bread. Went to it before playing golf (good few golf courses nearby) and was well content after my feed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

My local. Suausages, rashers, eggs, mushrooms, beans, chunky fries and toast. All real pork.

And it is 235 steps from when I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    All real pork.

It makes me sad that that's a highlight rather than a given. :(

Moloughneys in Clontarf has amazing rashers. I haven't had a fry there but if the rashers are anything to go by it's good.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    And it is 235 steps from when I live.

How long have you owned a pedometer? And why do you possess such an abomination?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Zaph wrote: »
    How long have you owned a pedometer? And why do you possess such an abomination?

Is that a device for counting pedophiles? I don't have one.

Advertisement