Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc or Calliper brakes?

Options
  • 25-05-2011 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Going to buy a Road Bike in the next few wks, haven't really looked around yet though. Just wondering should I go with disc brakes or calliper brakes. I had been using a cheapish road bike with callipers but I find that with heavy rain they arent as effective as I'd like. I mainly cycle on rural roads.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

When you say road bike do you mean hybrid commuting bike or racing bike type thing?
    You certainly wont get disc breaks with a racing bike. Disc breaks come in two types cable or hydraulic . The latter being the best ie no stretching of cable etc When pads get worn out you just replace out simple job no adjusting needed on hyd brakes. These breaking systems are heavier than caliper set up

If your travelling at speed disc breaks will certainly lock up dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Calipers. If the braking is bad in the wet just get some more suitable pads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Calipers (or V-brakes) from a proper brand should do the job fine on a slick tyre'd bike. How much traction will you have on tarmac in the wet anyway? Calipers are perfectly capable of exceeding the available traction, ie locking up the wheels. Disc brakes are overkill unless it's a mountainbike, used off road in mucky conditions.

That said, I have discs on both my commuter bikes.... :o
    No mounts for calipers tho! Honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

There's a lot to be said for discs on a commuter. One of the main reasons is lack of rim wear

Advertisement