Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea, is féidir linn!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

pog it wrote: »
    There was nothing wrong with the sentence of mine you highlighted. I was lucky enough to grow up in rural Ireland surrounded by a rich and varied colloquial language and have a choice now between Hiberno English and a more stricter style - as a lot of Irish people do.

So parse my sentence according to the Irish language and you'll be okay.

Leaving out basic things like question marks when you pose a question isn't Hiberno-English. It isn't any kind of correct English.
    Though obviously the rule forbidding one from ending a sentence with a preposition in English is one of the stricter and 'pickier' rules.
    I don't care either way, i was just pointing out the inconsistencies in your argument. :P

Long live vernacular :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Leaving out basic things like question marks when you pose a question isn't Hiberno-English. It isn't any kind of correct English.
    Though obviously the rule forbidding one from ending a sentence with a preposition in English is one of the stricter and 'pickier' rules.
    I don't care either way, i was just pointing out the inconsistencies in your argument. :P

Long live vernacular :D

Dude with rhetorical questions using a question mark is a matter of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

Tá Gaeltacht i Ceanada fiú!
    http://www.anghaeltacht.ca/
    An t-aon Ghaeltacht taobh amuigh den tír ceapaim.

An fear seo a thosaigh é.

An-suimiuil, go raibh maith agat.
    Dar le clair teilifise mar des bishop agus o tholg go tolg, ta cupla 'gaeltachta' eile timpeall an domahin - i gQueens dar le desy, agus ait eigin sa Rus (ceapaim?) , dar le 'o tholg go tolg'.
    Deanfaidh me an pointe sin i m'aiste i bpaipear a haon san ard tesit ar 'tochai na gaeilge' in aon chor! xD

Advertisement