Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the most underrated artist / band in your opinion?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

ricero wrote: »
    Kasabian are possibly the most consistant band in the past decade class after class after class 4 studio albums 4 class albums. This is because they don't change their style of music and stick with it. Kasabian are so under-rated it's not even funny...

Absolute bollocks! You're confusing 'consistent' with 'boring'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

rcaz wrote: »
    Absolute bollocks! You're confusing 'consistent' with 'boring'!

kasabian boring :confused: each album sounds completly different and is to a high standard i would consider that consistently good. also their amazing live. i dunno i just think a minority of people hate this band because of their association with the Gallagher brothers.

also the black keys is another band i find underrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

what annoys me about kasabian is that people lump them in as a lad rock band and compare them to oasis. just because there freinds with the gallaghers doesn't mean they sound like oasis there completely ****ing different.
    Kasabian are possibly the most consistant band in the past decade class after class after class 4 studio albums 4 class albums. This is because they don't change their style of music and stick with it. Kasabian are so under-rated it's not even funny...
    kasabian boring :confused:each album sounds completly different and is to a high standard i would consider that consistently good. also their amazing live. i dunno i just think a minority of people hate this band because of their association with the Gallagher brothers.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

kasabian boring :confused: each album sounds completly different and is to a high standard i would consider that consistently good. also their amazing live. i dunno i just think a minority of people hate this band because of their association with the Gallagher brothers.

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'under-rated' really. Both Kasabian and the Black Keys play the O2 so they're both very popular.

I think the Black Keys would get more critical praise than Kasabian. Personally I find Kasabian boring - I didn't know there's a connection with the Gallagher brothers though, I'm just going on my own opinion of what I've heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Regardless of how I feel about Kasabian, they are certainly NOT underrated, in fact, i'd say they're a little bit more overrated. Sure they're headlining Reading Festival (among others) for god sake!

The Black Keys were very underrated before their current album, but not so much now, they're starting to get the recognition they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I think the Kadane brothers should have statues in most mayor cities.

Honestly, their bands, Bedhead and The New Year are two of the best American Rock groups, everyone should know about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

bloodhound gang : regarded as a joke but actually write consistently high quality catchy pop songs.

the damned: after releasing the first uk punk single they were then dismissed as cartoon punk but actually morphed into a unique band with many influences creating at least four classic albums.

stranglers: way way way way more than just golden brown

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks Interpol are a ridiculously underrated band?

I never hear them on the radio, never see them on TV, and never hear anyone mention them....yet they feature high up the bill on some festivals, it's weird. But yeah, they're amazing! Their first album, Turn on the Bright Lights, is just simply amazing, one that will stick with you forever, once you get into it.

I think underrated is getting confused with popular, as anyone who rates Interpol, generally rates them very highly.

To guy who mentioned Husker Du - you sir, win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I don't know about that. You'd hear them fairly regularly on stations like Phantom.

I've tuned in to Phantom ever since your post...and have heard Interpol (among other great bands) quite a bit on it, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭DaithiMa

My choice is a band that are no more, and on the basis of their first album I think they were hugely underrated and never got the credit they deserved. The Music. Their debut album is still one of my favourites. Dancey/rocky heaven! Were brilliant live too. Remember seeing them at either the ambassador or the olympia years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Lil C

Slint have to be up there. Spiderland must be one of the most underrated albums of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1AZHoBCss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Lil C wrote: »
    Slint have to be up there. Spiderland must be one of the most underrated albums of all time.

You have extremely good taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

+1 to The Music, thankfully got to see them a few years ago. The first album is magic.

I'd throw My Vitriol and King Adora in as two bands who have recently gotten back together but only after failing to 'make it' first time out. Finelines and Vibrate You are two epic albums respectively.

Nod of the head to The Gaslight Anthem who are only really starting to get some proper recognition four albums in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'd throw My Vitriol and King Adora in as two bands who have recently gotten back together but only after failing to 'make it' first time out. Finelines and Vibrate You are two epic albums respectively.
    My Vitriol definitely, Finelines is one of my favourite albums of the 00's and it seems to be forgotten about by a lot of people. It's a pity they haven't released anything since besides an EP.

King Adora were hit or miss in my view. My older sister had a copy of Vibrate You that she lent to me a while back and it doesn't seem to have aged well. For every good tune like 'Suffocate' there's some below-par, trying too hard to be Richey-era Manics material that doesn't seem to hold up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

I doubt I can limit my suggestion to one band. There have been many come and go over the years who, in my opinion, haven't gained the recognition they so sorely deserved in a what is generally a sea of mediocrity.

I loved Leicester grebo rockers, Gaye Bykers on Acid. They had an instantly recognisable sound but without a mainstream appeal, disappeared, though they did manage to last a good while even so.

Fortunately, my favourite band, NoMeansNo, while still relatively unheard of among the greater populace, has a good cult following which means I get to see them later this month. They're probably the best band I've ever seen live both musically, and for repartee with the crowd (if the usual eejits aren't talking too much for you to hear them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Lil C wrote: »

nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Teenage Fanclub have always been patronized with glib praise...Grand Prix is one of the best albums ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Cowboy Junkies are consistently great! Such an understated beautiful group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

+1 on Slint and Sunny Day Real Estate.

I'm going to say Sebadoh, very under rated band.

• Advertisement

If there is one indie that I would call the most underrated of all time it has to be The Field Mice. In their all too brief existence from 1987 to 1991 they made some fantastic music that could rival the likes of The Cure and The Smiths in the melancholy stakes. Their sound ranged from simple, innocent jangle-pop, to noisy, almost shoegaze-like songs and even songs heavily influenced by New Order and electronic music, all tied together by a bittersweet mood and an intelligent approach to songwriting. They're a band that are hugely influential despite not many people being aware of it, without them we might have no Belle and Sebastian, The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, The Radio Dept, Wild Nothing or Saint Etienne (who even covered their song 'Let's Kiss and Make Up').

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

These guys deserve to be huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Dunno who is the most underrated artist/band but Babylon Zoo certainly have some good tracks and I actually under-rated them myself.
    Not under-rated commercially due to the worldwide smash hit spaceman but more so artistically.

and their albums where too polished and commerical .Should have stuck with the rawer sound.Had they stuck under the radar with tracks like Gets in My way from an early demo he had the talent to create a lasting legacy rather than two mediocre albums

Jas Man currently doing charity work in India did come across a bit stuck up and arrogant and prehaps a bit dim which didn't help his cause but no doubting his musical talents..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

The Deans List.

If you like Hip-Hop/Rap which isn't about stupid sh**e and the typical stuff ya hear they are great. Have a look at there two best songs (in my opinion): Burn it All + Dear Professor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Teenage Fanclub have always been patronized with glib praise...Grand Prix is one of the best albums ever made.

Couldn't agree with you there, Teenage Fanclub have always been music media darlings, to be honest I can hardly recall ever hearing anything but positivity about them, if you are aware of them at all it is very likely that you love them, personally I prefer Bandwagonesque to Grand Prix but both are superb.

Buffalo Tom are a great band that very few Irish people would be aware of,
    James are a great band that are underrated by virtue of the fact that most people would only know Sit Down and assume that that's their best tune.

Bandwagonesque was Spin magazine's number one album of 1991, beating Nevermind by Nirvana. Even their last album Shadows got a fair bit of attention from the music media, so we can't say they don't get any praise. Bandwagonesque and Grand Prix are killer albums though.

Advertisement