Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the most underrated artist / band in your opinion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 eroticvultcha

I always thought Mark Lanegan, both as a solo artist and with the Screaming Trees, could have been huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I always thought Mark Lanegan, both as a solo artist and with the Screaming Trees, could have been huge.

He is. He looks at least 6'5" or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shtopthelights

Joan As Police Woman....

http://youtu.be/fQ2Pc-Y9hgE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 eroticvultcha

Nice one on Joan as Policewoman... she's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads and ladies, I put forth to you............

Chad VanGaalen. This chap has an original style and the combination of his voice, singing and lyrics are very haunting at times. If you don't know the guy, i'd strongly suggest checking him out (even these lovely videos).

PS: didn't really wanna post 3 videos, but I didn't wanna leave out "TNMT Mask", one of my favourites by him and very different 2 the other 2 videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

kasabian by a country mile they dont get enough credit even though each album they bring out is so different to the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TwoCanDan

ricero wrote: »
    kasabian by a country mile they dont get enough credit even though each album they bring out is so different to the former.

No offence meant, but I don't know how Kasabian can possibly be classed as underrated.
    -They've been among the headlining acts at festivals all over Europe and beyond for years.
    -Their records chart better than most rock acts,
    -They receive plenty of airplay,
    -They arent critical darlings, but their records aren't universally panned either.

If you're a huge fan maybe you feel it's an injustice that they haven't reached U2 levels of fame yet. I personally don't like them and so I tend to feel they're overrated if anything. I guess that's the subjective nature of music...

TwoCanDan wrote: »
    No offence meant, but I don't know how Kasabian can possibly be classed as underrated.
    -They've been among the headlining acts at festivals all over Europe and beyond for years.
    -Their records chart better than most rock acts,
    -They receive plenty of airplay,
    -They arent critical darlings, but their records aren't universally panned either.

If you're a huge fan maybe you feel it's an injustice that they haven't reached U2 levels of fame yet. I personally don't like them and so I tend to feel they're overrated if anything. I guess that's the subjective nature of music...

what annoys me about kasabian is that people lump them in as a lad rock band and compare them to oasis. just because there freinds with the gallaghers doesn't mean they sound like oasis there completely ****ing different.
    Kasabian are possibly the most consistant band in the past decade class after class after class 4 studio albums 4 class albums. This is because they don't change their style of music and stick with it. Kasabian are so under-rated it's not even funny...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Deja vu...

what annoys me about kasabian is that people lump them in as a lad rock band and compare them to oasis. just because there freinds with the gallaghers doesn't mean they sound like oasis there completely ****ing different.
    Kasabian are possibly the most consistant band in the past decade class after class after class 4 studio albums 4 class albums. This is because they don't change their style of music and stick with it. Kasabian are so under-rated it's not even funny...

Fair enough man. You still didn't explain how that makes them underrated, but you're entitled to your opinion.
    What you're describing sounds more like a case of lazy pigeonholing of their music rather than them being underrated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Fair enough man. You still didn't explain how that makes them underrated, but you're entitled to your opinion.
    What you're describing sounds more like a case of lazy pigeonholing of their music rather than them being underrated...

tbf, you can call a commercially successful band critically underrated, which I think was his point.

i just think they should get more recognition critically for there albums. although there last album was a critical success and won a lot of awards for them and kasabian have been classed as one of the best live bands in the world. i dunno its just they get a lot of criticism for being a lad rock band which is complete and utter bullsh!t. i think it just annoys me that these lads havent headlined glasto yet as one of the main headliners and not just as a side - headliner when worse musicians have.

smokedeels wrote: »
    tbf, you can call a commercially successful band critically underrated, which I think was his point.

I get you, but I was making the point that they don't get that raw a deal from critics either. Mojo, Q, and the culture sections of the papers seem to like them. They only go unappreciated in the more leftfield indie mags/blogs/websites, and for a band that probably isn't gunning for that audience that's probably not a big deal.

@Ricero:
    i just think they should get more recognition critically for there albums. although there last album was a critical success and won a lot of awards for them and kasabian have been classed as one of the best live bands in the world. i dunno its just they get a lot of criticism for being a lad rock band which is complete and utter bullsh!t. i think it just annoys me that these lads havent headlined glasto yet as one of the main headliners and not just as a side - headliner when worse musicians have

Again, as you've shown, it's subjective. They win awards and are critically lauded, but you still feel they deserve more recognition because you're a big fan, and that's fine. I wasn't getting at you, I was just arguing a point. There's no right or wrong when it comes to music.
    Like what you like, and feck the begrudgers...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

kasabian...they dont get enough credit even though each album they bring out is so different to the former.
    This is because they don't change their style of music and stick with it.
    Proofreading : 1
    Ricero : 0

Kasabian are a cheap Primal Scream-meets-The Who knock-off; as for the lad-rock thing, it probably doesn't help that their music is so laddish, or that they came out at the same time as Hard Fi. Although they're in no way as bad as them. Nor Oasis.

grindle wrote: »
    Proofreading : 1
    Ricero : 0

Kasabian are a cheap Primal Scream-meets-The Who knock-off; as for the lad-rock thing, it probably doesn't help that their music is so laddish, or that they came out at the same time as Hard Fi. Although they're in no way as bad as them. Nor Oasis.

apologies did not mean to say that i think my dyslexia has struck again. dont try compare them to hard fi please there 10 millions times better than them gob****es. also primal scream has influenced them especially on there first album but come on primal scream havent been good since the late 90's. also the who comparison i just do not see it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

apologies did not mean to say that i think my dyslexia has struck again.

And it's that easy... Think I'm gonna have to pick me up one of those disability-things. No bothers laaaaaaaaaaaad!

Back on-topic (are we allowed more goes?), Prefuse 73 always seems to be plugging away, but never reaching the heights he deserves... A victim of his own early promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

ben howard is extremly talented and hopefully rises a bit now

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jakobgallagher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DDDDDeannnnn

Company Flow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Elliott Smith
    John Frusciante (his solo stuff is far better than RHCP)
    Minutemen
    Bikini Kill
    Husker Du
    The La's (most people know the song There She Goes but the whole album is fantastic and one of the best albums of the 90's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

The redneck manifesto are definitely the most underrated irish band of the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Am I the only one that thinks Interpol are a ridiculously underrated band?

I never hear them on the radio, never see them on TV, and never hear anyone mention them....yet they feature high up the bill on some festivals, it's weird. But yeah, they're amazing! Their first album, Turn on the Bright Lights, is just simply amazing, one that will stick with you forever, once you get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

sheroman01 wrote: »

I never hear them on the radio, never see them on TV, and never hear anyone mention them.....

I don't know about that. You'd hear them fairly regularly on stations like Phantom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Judee Sill & Nick Drake. Completely ignored in their lifetimes despite producing brilliant work. Both die tragic early deaths and become cult heros years and years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jakobgallagher

Oh ye and these lads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

LCD Soundsystem, so much passion, invention and quirkiness in every track they produced, in a perfect world they would be mainstream pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭sheroman01

@Jeff_Lebowski, Really? I've only heard 3 of their songs in the past few years, on MTV Rocks and 2fm once. Then again, I wouldn't listen to the radio that often, may tune into Phantom more often! But even in general, I don't hear much about them....ah well, I love still em :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

sheroman01 wrote: »

I never hear them on the radio, never see them on TV, and never hear anyone mention them....yet they feature high up the bill on some festivals, it's weird. But yeah, they're amazing! Their first album, Turn on the Bright Lights, is just simply amazing, one that will stick with you forever, once you get into it.

Id rate them very highly based on the first two or three albums ..maybe they have more ? Went to see them twice and they where ok but very static and have'nt heard much from them since.

Modest Mouse are another seriously underrated band..I know they've had some mainstream success in recent years but most people outside of alt would not have a clue who your talking about.

Advertisement