Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Aura: Bicycle Safety Lighting System

Options
  • 18-05-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I was just pointed in the direction of this lighting system (Vimeo video) built by two industrial design students. I've seen spoke-hanging variations on it before, but this is neat. I particularly like the touch of the lights going to red while you're stopped.

Complex, integrated setup looking at their blog. You'd probably have to sell the whole wheelset.

tumblr_lia9kx1Ep41qbachr.jpgtumblr_lia9o6PUUW1qbachr.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I admire the ingenuity, but I feel that you could get much the same conspicuity by strapping some 1/2W to your ankles. Much cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

But it's so pretty!

Yeah, I got some cheapo spoke lights last year, they made you really visible from the side:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/nite-ize-spokelit-2-mode-red-led-safety-light-2-2016-51639

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My favourite conspicuity aid is still my own invention:

130775.jpg

Can move a flashing light around when you think you need it; flashing and biomotion is a very conspicuous combination. Also more visible from the side when your hands are on the drops than standard fixed lights.

Not as pretty as wheel lights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

One step inwards from the (presumably stalled) Cyglo concept...

Pretty cool though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its pretty, but being seen front/back is the bigger issue.

Advertisement