Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arts with Biology?

• 13-05-2011 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I'm going to Maynooth next year and I'll probably end up getting Arts. I have a big interest in Biology yet I'd rather have an arts degree than a science degree purely because of how broad arts is.

I know you can do Biology in first year, but that's not much higher than leaving cert standard by the sounds of it.

Does anyone know if you can take an arts subject and a science to degree level somehow?

I'd like to do Sociology, Anthropology or English but do Biology aswell. I'd originally planned on Psychology but I don't think I have the motivation for such a demanding course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

You can only do Biology in first year through Arts. I think the only science subjects you can do to degree level through Arts are Maths and Computer Science.

If you really like Biology, there's the BSc in Biological and Biomedical Science? You can do an Arts subject in first and second year with it. That's the only way I can think how you'd be able to do Biology with an Arts subject.

Actually, forget that. I just read over the course description properly, and apparently you can only do an Arts subject in first year. If you pick an Arts subject you've to do Maths in second year instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I don't think so. I know that for definite, Biology with Arts is only for first year, and they're actually phasing that option out from next year. You can sometimes have the option of taking modules from other disciplines if you can convince your department they're relevant to you, but I don't know if that happens all that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Damn. Ah well, I guess I'll just have to see if I get into Psych through Science. If not it'll be Arts all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

I'd like to do Sociology, Anthropology or English but do Biology aswell. I'd originally planned on Psychology but I don't think I have the motivation for such a demanding course.

Just to let you know you cant do psychology with biology in first year, because Psychology in 2nd year is purely single honours and theres no 2nd biology, meaning you'd only be left with one subject in 2nd year.

Kinda poopy I know, I did psychology and woulda loved to have done biology, I always loved it in school!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Just to let you know you cant do psychology with biology in first year, because Psychology in 2nd year is purely single honours and theres no 2nd biology, meaning you'd only be left with one subject in 2nd year.

Kinda poopy I know, I did psychology and woulda loved to have done biology, I always loved it in school!

I doubt I would get into the second year psychology through arts anyway. I think doing it through science is my only hope.

Is psychology really as much work as they say?

and if I do get into arts and decide to do psychology what two subjects in first year require the least amount of work or compliment psychology the most?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

I doubt I would get into the second year psychology through arts anyway. I think doing it through science is my only hope.

Is psychology really as much work as they say?

and if I do get into arts and decide to do psychology what two subjects in first year require the least amount of work or compliment psychology the most?

Its work but its not impossible, as long as you do your assignments and go to your lectures and tutorials its doable. A lot of peop;e find its not what they expected and stop bothering, so it usually ends up that the people who really want it do get it, simply because they've kept interest and as a result kept up with the work.

As for the subjects to choose with it- anything! I did it with English and Geography and loved the variety across all the subjects. I would have also liked to have done anthropology, which apparently goes very well with it, and a lot of people do sociology with it. To be honest your better off going with something you enjoy rather than subjects you think compliment it, otherwise you'll end up unmotivated/hating your subject, bearing in mind that if you dont get psychology you're stuck with those subjects for two years.
    At the start of first year you have a few weeks before you make a final decision on which subjects you'll be doing, so my advice is to go to various lectures in the different subjects and get a feel for what you like. Try them all out!

aaaaand breathe..that was a long one!

Advertisement