Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It was only a matter of time !

• 11-05-2011 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Well people this new radio system by or police force did not stay out of boy racers hands for long. I was parked in a petrol station tonight and beside me there were lads in a car with there window opened and they were listening too this hand held radio I was kind of wondering what are they listening too so I opened my window to have a listen it was our local station calling a car about a possible section 49 which as far as i know is drink driving correct me if i am wrong. Well I was keen to were they got this radio from so I asked the driver what it was and the fool told me it was a scanner I then asked were he got it and he said ebay. Now I tought you were not able to get the gaurds on these things anymore . What this guy did not know is I am in the emergency services myself so I tought it was right to give the local station a call and give him the reg of the car so I left it at that then. Did anyone else know you can pick up the cops again ? Just wondering :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

rescue16 wrote: »
    Well people this new radio system by or police force did not stay out of boy racers hands for long. I was parked in a petrol station tonight and beside me there were lads in a car with there window opened and they were listening too this hand held radio I was kind of wondering what are they listening too so I opened my window to have a listen it was our local station calling a car about a possible section 49 which as far as i know is drink driving correct me if i am wrong. Well I was keen to were they got this radio from so I asked the driver what it was and the fool told me it was a scanner I then asked were he got it and he said ebay. Now I tought you were not able to get the gaurds on these things anymore . What this guy did not know is I am in the emergency services myself so I tought it was right to give the local station a call and give him the reg of the car so I left it at that then. Did anyone else know you can pick up the cops again ? Just wondering :rolleyes:

Just guessing but are you in the Northern region???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

What ever station that is it is 100% using the old analogue system.

Tetra can't (99% of the time), be decoded by another tetra device as they all use trunking encryption via end to end and/or air encryption (set freq and password protected using a 80-bit key using the TETRA algorithm). The Tetra algorithm is propitiatory and not open source(Can't be viewed, although not 100% on this, it could have a RFC or ISO which may show it).

Tetra is similar to a GSM network, group (conference call on GSM) or one to one (Telephone call on GSM) . Similar to the GSM network, you can connect with people outside you locality but limited to the same Tetra network.

So that's my understanding of the network, simlar to GSM. Provided on doing my research on it. One downside to it is the network is the data transfer rate which seems slow, which could become gappy or sluggish. But I think this would depend on the handset which is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

msg11 wrote: »
    What ever station that is it is 100% using the old analogue system.

Tetra can't (99% of the time), be decoded by another tetra device as they all use trunking encryption via end to end and/or air encryption (set freq and password protected using a 80-bit key using the TETRA algorithm). The Tetra algorithm is propitiatory and not open source(Can't be viewed, although not 100% on this, it could have a RFC or ISO which may show it).

Tetra is similar to a GSM network, group (conference call on GSM) or one to one (Telephone call on GSM) . Similar to the GSM network, you can connect with people outside you locality but limited to the same Tetra network.

So that's my understanding of the network, simlar to GSM. Provided on doing my research on it. One downside to it is the network is the data transfer rate which seems slow, which could become gappy or sluggish. But I think this would depend on the handset which is used.

Ah come on now.... what the hell does that mean in english

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

the TL;DR is it works like mobile phones. in fact the handsets look like late 90's mobile phone handsets. so you can't actually listen in on them [GSM = mobile phones]. I'm guessing [not in the gardai myself] that some of the stations are still in the process of rolling out the radios, so some local chatter might still be on the old system. or they use them for training or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

In addition to having a radio capable of recieving the frequency, you must also have the correct security access and have been accepted onto the network. this must be done at the networks end so any scanner even trying would just be ignored and blocked out. Imagine a wi fi network but you MUST have been plugged in first or the network wont even let you put in the passkey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Eru wrote: »
    In addition to having a radio capable of recieving the frequency, you must also have the correct security access and have been accepted onto the network. this must be done at the networks end so any scanner even trying would just be ignored and blocked out. Imagine a wi fi network but you MUST have been plugged in first or the network wont even let you put in the passkey.

You are correct. But it can be hacked if you had the time/effort, but I think there would be a serious delay.

If you got the FRQ and developed some sort of programme to capture the signal and packets let them build up, and run them threw the algorithm you could come out with some speech.

Now that is the really really short version of how it would be done.

Advertisement