Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring near Woodenbridge

Options
  • 11-05-2011 11:57am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks. I'm looking for information about the spring at the side of the Vale road - just south of Woodenbridge.
    I don't trust my local tap water (too many bad experiences) and it's too expensive buying bottled water all the time. So I'm thinking of re-filling bottles and getting my supply from there. I wonder is it tested. It tastes good.
    Any experiences - good,bad,mysterious,mystical? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I haven't tried it myself but I drive past here a lot and see a lot of people filling up here throughout the year. Seems to be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

I am not sure what the current status is but I do know that there was a sample analysed around 7 years ago and the water was high in cobalt which is not good.

Talk to the council, they might have more up to date info.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a spring called Minister's Well by the side of the road just outside Annamoe with a big red sign up saying it's unfit for human consumption, apaprently due to excessive amounts of fecal matter, but people still stop there and someone keeps removing the sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

My friend's mam used to swear that water was the best for miles. Like, drive from the far side of Arklow good. If she can't get there, she'll use a spring in Roadstone (somewhere, don't ask me where exactly). I don't know what this obsession with springs is caused by, but I'll be sure to ask.
    How and ever, it more than likely isn't clean to the same extent as your tap water, as tap water needs to be pretreated beforehand, right?
    Just saying that I'm far too lazy to drive for miles to fill up a few bottles, when there's a supposedly clean, ready supply in the tap, not that the spring is dirty, or anything.
    Assuming you live in Arklow, or it's environs, the water treatment plant at Ballyduff might change your opinion of the water supply, when it's built.
    (Iif you're one of those fluoride crazies, the lack of pretreating might be more than enough reason to use the spring)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

So, that's one for, and one against then :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

nanook wrote: »
    I am not sure what the current status is but I do know that there was a sample analysed around 7 years ago and the water was high in cobalt which is not good.

Talk to the council, they might have more up to date info.

I've just read up on cobalt. Apparantly, it can't be destroyed - so it's got to be still in the water?
    Seems that it builds up in the body and affects the major organs. Isn't it one of the radioactive elements? :eek:
    Curiously, I no longer need a torch when I go outside in the dark - everything seems to be bathed in a fluorescent green light these days.

Advertisement