Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a ghost bike?

Options
  • 05-05-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Good afternoon all.

I found this (see below) on Orwell Green in templeogue the other day.

Now, I'm not sure if it's either just a bad spray job, or a ghost bike. I know the one on Harolds cross Canal bridge is still there, as I've seen it since.

Can anyone tell me if this is the one from the quay's in town, or is it still in place, or has anyone any ideas who's this is.

It's not operational, the real wheel is gone for one thing. (Buckled, broken spokes and flat)

Anyone any ideas???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Definitely not the one from the quays at the Ha'penny Bridge; unlikely to be a ghost bike.

On the same subject, there is what appears to be a ghost bike at the junction of Bath Avenue and Tritonville Road in Sandymount, just beside the Garda station. I'm not sure it's a ghost bike - there's some colour on the chain case - and I don't recall hearing of a cycle fatality at the junction. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Definitely not the one from the quays at the Ha'penny Bridge; unlikely to be a ghost bike.

On the same subject, there is what appears to be a ghost bike at the junction of Bath Avenue and Tritonville Road in Sandymount, just beside the Garda station. I'm not sure it's a ghost bike - there's some colour on the chain case - and I don't recall hearing of a cycle fatality at the junction. Strange.

I was going to mention that one as well alright. It does seem to be permanently there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I've seen a couple in recent weeks, 1 in Greystones (IIRC) and the other around Londonbridge Rd / Church Ave in Sandymount

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

This is the only ghost bike i've seen recently:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55764

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kav0777 wrote: »
    This is the only ghost bike i've seen recently:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55764

I'm not superstitious but that's just asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

The Harold's Cross Ghost Bike is logged here -

http://ghostbikes.org/locations

No others for Ireland AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Eleven cyclists died in the capital between 2002 and 2006 (75
    per cent of them struck by left-turning lorries)
    What does 75% of 11 people come to?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lemag wrote: »
    What does 75% of 11 people come to?

Rounding off. That's got to sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

The figure was refering to fatalities so if one is going to take off a chunk it has to be a vital one.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I just google what a ghost bike actually is, and would like to apologise to all for my earlier ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Kav0777 wrote: »
    I just google what a ghost bike actually is, and would like to apologise to all for my earlier ignorance.

Don't worry about it, I'm still trying to accumulate the lingo. Broomwagon, chamois..derailleur....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Doctor Bob wrote: »

I saw that one there a few weeks ago, I was up visiting (I used to live on Tritonville).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nollaig2512

A girl was killed on the junction of bath avenue/tritonville road years ago,her name was deborah barry

Advertisement