Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Letterkenny OMAC

Options
  • 05-05-2011 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Has anyone any info on them . I'm thinking of joining

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

http://www.orderofmalta.ie/index.php/contact-us/index.php?option=com_supergroups&redirect=all&Itemid=376&task=group&view=details&id=26

the link above will give you some contact information on the Unit. The unit was only set up in 2008/2009 so there a fairly new unit. Welcome to the OMAC family ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Paramed

Thanks Blondie :) . I'm doing my EMT at the moment . Are you a member?

Me too :D Im a member in Dublin have been for more than half my life :eek:

Ha class do you do much AS1 stuff , what kind of stuff have you done as part of the organisation . Where are you doing the EMT?

Whats AS1?? We do different things duties wise most units cover Horse racing, GAA matches, Rugby, Soccer, Fun runs, marathons. We cover concerts also. We also have a youth Section which i run for my local unit, we teach them first aid and footdrill as well as youth development. Im doing my EMT with OMAC at the moment :)

• Advertisement

AS1 are emergency calls , first meeting is tommorow night . It's in Donegal town which is 30 mins from me , but sure feck it. How far have you gotten into your course . I'm doing mine with the IATI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

As a rule Vols indeed EMTs don't do AS1s.

I've fairly sure PHECC are pushing to ensure its Paramedics do the AS1 stuff excusing extenuating circumstances

Actually that is not entirely true , there are a few private ambulance companies staffed by EMT's that reply to AS1 calls when requested by the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

If there are, and I doubt they still have EMTs responding, it wont last much more than a few months.

You have a very little chance of getting a job in these privates and you almost certinally wont get to do AS1s with them. I could also virtually guarantee you wont do AS1s with a vol either there are now over 900 EMT in Ireland, and by the nature of vols your going to want some time in before they would even think of you for a call like that.

I'm not trying to deswade or belittle your decision, Just go into it eyes wide open, I've meet too many EMTs given "false" impression of the market for their skills

New Order of Malta group starting for Donegal. Pm me for details

• Advertisement

How did your first meeting go Paramed?

It went really well. I'm the only bloke out of four people , but sure how bad lol :) . Martin the regional co-ordinator , went through the policys , ranks , duties etc . We start our training in two weeks , i've done it all before , but sure no harm in going over it again . We reckon we should have everything completed by December , where we will purchase our own Ambulance . I'm going to setup a Facebook link , i'll send you the link so you can track our progress.

maglite wrote: »
    As a rule Vols indeed EMTs don't do AS1s.

I've fairly sure PHECC are pushing to ensure its Paramedics do the AS1 stuff excusing extenuating circumstances

FYI There are currently volunteer service in rural areas of Ireland working all AS1 calls , as the frontline emergency services can't get to them in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Paramed wrote: »
    FYI There are currently volunteer service in rural areas of Ireland working all AS1 calls , as the frontline emergency services can't get to them in time.

Yes but these are in the main cardiac community responder schemes which is in the main also inline with PHECCs new levels for CFR coming on stream soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 donalgeraghty

I aggree, I no of 2 Omac units in mayo that do 999 calls on a daily basis. Without these units people woulddiee in the area. I also have being told the hse can not ring the Omac unit to do the call 'officially'. It's sort of under the carpet as Phecc or hse don't want voluntaries doing 999 calls...

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Kind of just blew the whistle there didn't ya.....

Advertisement