Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What food is provided on An Post-Sligo

Options
  • 04-05-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

First time to do one the the An Post series and was wondering what food is at the feed stations. Is it gels and bars or cakes and sandwiches and is there only water or any isotonic drinks. Also which brands.
    Hoping that good feeding will make up for lack of miles in the legs.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Good question! I'm doing the Sligo tour as well. I'm gonna bring along bananas and the like anyways just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

There's real food at two or three food stops, plus water & gels. I can't remember if there were any energy drinks last year, but there was certainly loads of food.

It's very well organised and the food stops are amongst the best I've seen. The pasta at the first stop was great. If you want any particular gel/ drink etc then you're probably best to take your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

Like the idea of pasta. Will have a few gels in the pockets, along with a few electrolite tablets. Found I can get the knock very easy on the long spins (the 2 I've done, not joking about having no miles in the legs). I can take most brands of gels/bars, but find I need some real food aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sangwiches bananas apparently there was pasta but some guy called sean kelly ate it all by the time i got to the food stop (well i like to blame him)

first food stops is a bit early this year wont be using the first one this year as it seems to after about 30km looking at the map (theyve turned the route round this year)

anyway i'll be the one at the back should be finished just before dark

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Looks like a slogfest with weather forecast.

• Advertisement

Gipo3 wrote: »

What doesn't kill you only leaves you stronger!

(or with a weakened heart!)

Gipo3 wrote: »

or dip out before the loop round lough gill :D:D

Anyone know what that bit near Collooney/Coolaney is like? I did the loop around Lough Gill before (Strandhill->Ballysodare->Ballygawley->Dromahair->Sligo->Strandhill) and didn't find it too bad.

john__long wrote: »
    Anyone know what that bit near Collooney/Coolaney is like? I did the loop around Lough Gill before (Strandhill->Ballysodare->Ballygawley->Dromahair->Sligo->Strandhill) and didn't find it too bad.

that bits flatish - on the way out they throw in a tight enough climb from the n59 upto hungry rock

Theres a steep 1km section just after the turn off ballina road heading for coolaney. Up to 20% I think.

• Advertisement

Aye, that's what I saw when I mapped it on Runkeeper. Nice aul spike!

That'll be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I did the Lough Gill Loop on St Patricks Weekend and it was fairly okay. There are a few long drags that I found challenging enough but I'm a brutal climber and I have a very bad relationship with gravity.
    I also did the strandhill loop and that was nice. The roads from Strandhill into Ballisodare are fairly narrow and a bit bumpy. The road surface around Ballygawley and Dromahair was poor enough also.
    I'm looking forward to it. It should be a great buzz cycling in such a big group. I've done a fairly flat 94km on my own last week so I have the distance in my legs anyway.
    I haven't had much chance to get out since Sunday. Hope to get out tonight for 30 or 40km and maybe Saturday morning for 30km. Does this sound okay?

Donie75 wrote: »
    I did the Lough Gill Loop on St Patricks Weekend and it was fairly okay. There are a few long drags that I found challenging enough but I'm a brutal climber and I have a very bad relationship with gravity.
    I also did the strandhill loop and that was nice. The roads from Strandhill into Ballisodare are fairly narrow and a bit bumpy. The road surface around Ballygawley and Dromahair was poor enough also.
    I'm looking forward to it. It should be a great buzz cycling in such a big group. I've done a fairly flat 94km on my own last week so I have the distance in my legs anyway.
    I haven't had much chance to get out since Sunday. Hope to get out tonight for 30 or 40km and maybe Saturday morning for 30km. Does this sound okay?

you cant be as brutal a climber as me ! (just too fat)

30km last night, 91 on sun 1482m of climbing brutal wind, 86km last friday

and before that was the knockalla tour 110km with 2.5 eweeks off with a cold and aa week having the family over at easter, i feel soooo prepared, doesnt get dark till 9pm ;)

Donie75 wrote: »

I have cycled the full route over last 6-8 weeks. I would consider the ballysadare to dromahair section to have the best surface. From top of ladies brae to Dromore West is really rough, no holes just poor surface. Its my first time to do it but have trained alright myself. Two weeks ago did three 100km spins as well as the 60km route. The second climb (mass hill) is more of a drag, no steep sections. The descent of ladies brae is dodgy, steep with loose gravel/chippings. With southerly wind forecast it will be mainly cross-wind.

Advertisement