Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

@rcadeCon 2011

Options
  • 04-05-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I was contacted about a possible pokémon tournament. See below for details. But the more who go the better. We need more tournaments to be held here in Ireland.

Ballsbridge Inn Hotel in the Console Room.

1st of July - 3rd July

Saturday 2pm – 4pm..... Tournament starts.
    Final Match Sunday - 2pm

You’ve explored the Unova region and captured all the Pokémon you can, you’ve wrestled with Team Plasma and tackled the Elite Four… now comes your true test! The 5th generation of Pokémon will do battle at @rcadeCon and only one Trainer can be crowned, Master!

Rules
    This is a single elimination tournament: you lose your match and you are knocked out.
    You may not use more than one Pokémon with the same Pokedex number.
    Pokémon will be level 60. Levels will be altered to compensate for limit (brought up/down)
    You must use the same 6 Pokémon for the duration of the tournament.
    You must use the same 6 held items for the duration of the tournament (You may swap these between your six Pokémon) and you may not use more than one of the same held items.

Bans
    The following Pokémon are banned:

Pokedex #1 through #493 (all Pokémon before Black & White)

Reshiram
    Zekrom
    Kyurem
    Keldeo
    Meloetta
    Genesect
    Victini

The following moves are banned:
    Sky Drop

Prize
    Plaque
    Voucher + Goodies

***NOTICE***
    You must bring your OWN DS/ DSi/ DSiXL/ 3DS and copy of Pokémon Black and White. Please make sure they are fully charged!

p.s. After the tournament, the top three players will have the chance to tackle an Elite Four to become Legendary Pokemon Masters – I’ve already selected three of the four and I was hoping that you or someone from the Pokemon Club would like to be the fourth?

If any are interested in helping run the tournament then a free ticket can be arranged and on top of that I’d be more than happy to offer the Pokemon Club a discount rate on group tickets if you were interested!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

a 3 day tournament with only two days of competition??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It's more of a case that the actual convention itself runs over the three days.

So, what's this I hear about them looking for a fourth? I think I already know who three of them are - mainly since I'm good friends with them - maybe I could jump on and give those tourney winners a run for their money :D

As for the rules themselves, it's a damn pity they didn't properly do their research, since you can't exactly limit it to Level 60.

Will they be able to run cart checks??? Cos if they can't there's no point entering if you don't have the ability to mod yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

TheChrisD wrote: »
    As for the rules themselves, it's a damn pity they didn't properly do their research, since you can't exactly limit it to Level 60.

I only noticed that when you said it. Thats what i get for copying and pasting :P

Unless they have managed to acquire an official cart checker from Nintendo or something, I highly doubt that they will go to the effort of running checks.

• Advertisement

So it's basically a contest of who can cheat the best, excellent!

Will they be able to run cart checks??? Cos if they can't there's no point entering if you don't have the ability to mod yourself

I doubt it very much cause it will be an unofficial kind of tournament. Nintendo will not be part of it as far as I know.

That's just bad form. Don't exploit the fact just because it doesn't feature the strictness of the VGC's that you can go nuts.

That's just bad form. Don't exploit the fact just because it doesn't feature the strictness of the VGC's that you can go nuts.
    Lol I'd no intention of it but you hardly think everybody's going to play fair?

If it's the same general kind of people that took part in the Eirtakon tournament last year, of which I spot-checked a few of the teams, and with one person even owning up about a possible hack she received from the GTS - then yes, I do think people will be playing fair.

The obvious thing to check for someone not playing fair would be a Hydreigon with Dark Pulse and Earth Power :P

• Advertisement

The obvious thing to check for someone not playing fair would be a Hydreigon with Dark Pulse and Earth Power :P

Better take him off my team so.... lol!:D

SamIAmNot wrote: »
    After the tournament, the top three players will have the chance to tackle an Elite Four to become Legendary Pokemon Masters – I’ve already selected three of the four and I was hoping that you or someone from the Pokemon Club would like to be the fourth?

If any are interested in helping run the tournament then a free ticket can be arranged and on top of that I’d be more than happy to offer the Pokemon Club a discount rate on group tickets if you were interested!

So, anyone in mind? :D

So, anyone in mind? :D

I honestly don't mind, unfortunately the chances of me going to this is very slim at the moment but if anyone wants to put their name forward please do. Drop me a line via PM and I can see who is interested. We can sort something out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wedgelington

dude thats just plain negative, i for one have been breeding for the last few weeks for my team

dude thats just plain negative, i for one have been breeding for the last few weeks for my team
    Doesn't mean it's not true though. I've my team bred as best I could doesn't mean someone won't cheat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Doesn't mean it's not true though. I've my team bred as best I could doesn't mean someone won't cheat

Well, I for one am all for iproposing a policy of zero tolerance (aka Project Smack a B*tch) should they be proven beyond all reasonable doubt to be cheating. I'm talking shiny Modest Mewtwo, ID of 12345 kinda deal. Buzz has a great 'how to spot hacks' guide somewhere. Just make sure you know it and, if you suspect hackage, report and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Urizen wrote: »
    ID of 12345 kinda deal.

Totally unrelated to the discussion at hand, but I actually legitimately ended up with a trainer ID of 54321 in Platinum! I was soft-resetting for an ID that would give a nice set of multiplayer avatars, but abandoned that idea as soon as I noticed how awesome my ID was. Unfortunately, my luck doesn't seem to extend to finding shinies... last time I saw one of those in the wild was a shiny Tentacool in Gold. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ArcadeCon

Hey y'all!

Firstly big DUH to me for not noticing I'd tournaments down for 60 and not 50! I'm going to hell for that one!

Secondly we'd be really eager for someone from the Dublin Pokémon Club to represent at the Convention as one of the Elite Four - if you are interested you can e-mail Declan on convention@the-arcade.ie

Ideally we'd be looking for someone with a decent background and knowledge of the games!

*goes back to training her Pokémon*

XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

A friend of mine suggested that if no program or whatever can be attained to regulate cheating, then what if simply before a match players read eachothers team and could report anything they're not happy about. It would mean seeing all of your opponent's pokemon I guess, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway!

A friend of mine suggested that if no program or whatever can be attained to regulate cheating, then what if simply before a match players read eachothers team and could report anything they're not happy about. It would mean seeing all of your opponent's pokemon I guess, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway!

thats a good idea but it just gives too much away, you'd have to look at the other persons pokemon moves and stats,

• Advertisement

thats a good idea but it just gives too much away, you'd have to look at the other persons pokemon moves and stats,
    Would the judges not get to look? they could see without it affecting game plans

Would the judges not get to look? they could see without it affecting game plans

i think thats what they were going to do XD

Exactly that. In official tournaments and WiFi, you are only ever shown your opponents team - which includes Pokémon menu sprite (shiny or not) nickname, level, whether or not they hold a held item, and I think gender?

As had been said, only the people running it ideally should check teams for legitimacy, and ideally should also know the signs of illegal Pokémon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Ideally yeah, But would there be enough judges in the first few rounds too check every team?

Ideally yeah, But would there be enough judges in the first few rounds too check every team?
    they could do it during sign up maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

They could check it during sign ups, yeah. Looking forward to this, should be a laugh.

Now Im just kicking myself for not checking how one of my pokemon learns Heatwave, found out it's through breeding after getting amazingly lucky and getting four 31 IVs in it's stats, as opposed to the one I was passing on and every once in awhile, one other. :o Let's hope the 3rd game for this generation adds a move tutor for me to rectify that. :P

Then again, that pokemon is for the VGC.. :P

****e I've been putting off training my team cos I've been playing older gen's since I sold my old cartridges :mad:.

Is it too late to train a team peoperly?

Can i only check my starting Iv's by non legal means?

It's never too late. As long as you haven't gone and done random battling with your pokemon and gained EXP from defeating other pokemon and have 0 EVs in your stats, you can check your IV's at any time, just fight one pokemon to raise yourself to level 20 or above, keep track of what IV that pokemon, or if you've killed multiple, EV's you've gained, and use an IV calculator online like Serebii's.

or you can use the guy in the battle subway to check your iv's, i have taken the liberty of taking down what he says and what that means

if he says the following:
    this pokemons potential is decent all round = not very good iv's
    this pokemons potential is above average overall = total iv's between 91-120
    this pokemons potentail has relatively superior potential overall = 121 - 150
    this pokemon has outstanding potential overall = 150 - 186

he'll go on to say your best iv:
    its rather decent in that regard = between 0-16
    its very good in that regard = between 16-25
    its fantastic in that regard = between 26-30
    it can't be better in that regard = 31

hope this helps :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, Serebii tells you that too. However, if you want to be specific and know exactly what each IV that isnt your best one is, you'll need to use a calculator.

If you have multiple perfects, he'll also say those too.
    I.e "Sp. Atk, also Speed, can't be better in that regard."

Advertisement