Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge Race This Saturday 7th May

Options
  • 04-05-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Apparently there's a race on this Saturday in Newbridge
    From Irish Road Club Site:
    This event will be staged out on the Curragh located near the Newbridge GP finish area all parking is on the Curragh Planes .Racing will be for A4 seperate race " A3s seperate race depending on numbers" while A2 A1 will be combined. In the event that the A3 numbers are insufficent Then they will join the A2 A1 and this event will be handicapped. Sign on will open at 9,00am racing for A4 11.am start racing for A3 A2 A1 start 12 50pm . Note " Race circuit is not the Newbridge GP Circuit .and is suitable for good racing . further information contact John Malone 087-2453403 or Richard Malone 087-2910084 .

Anyone know the route? Flat or hilly? Not a whole lot on the Newbridge CC website but I think they are running it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

It should suit you Diarmuid. There are two longish drags on the second half of the circuit. They aren't too steep but go on for a bit and kick up in places. The Vets race was there last weekend. The selection in the Scratch race was made on the drags/climbs on the first of 4 laps with Paul Dolan getting away on his own to win. It suits roulers who are half decent climbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

100Suns wrote: »
    The Vets race was there last weekend.

The vets use the Newbridge GP circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Ah-apologies. Didn't spot the 'not', which is somewhat relevant to the question. In light of same, I have no idea what the circuit is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

If I was coming from Galway to do this, can someone give directions to the dogtrack?

Also, is there a map my ride link anywhere to have a look at the profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

sign on seems to be on the curragh plains not at dog track
    if you turn off M7 motorway at newbridge and take road up to curragh horse race track and contine past the stands after about 3k there is a side road over the rail bridge to the right, think it is about 2k down there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

any body know the distances?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

any info on where the sign on is ? or how to get to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Anybody know the distances and where to sign-on? Information on this one seems to be pretty scarce!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Information on this one seems to be pretty scarce!
    That's putting it mildly
    Turn up and you should have a good idea after the first lap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

I spoke to one of the organisers this morning - it starts from where the Newbridge GP finished, i.e. the staggered junction at Rathbride crossroads, but it's not the same circuit. Heads out Rathangan direction to get to the circuit & goes up the 'easy' side of Dunmurray. It's 3 miles out & then a 4 mile circuit. From what I could gather, this is the circuit. For the finish it turns right at point E & goes back to the finish before the staggered junction. A1s will do about 50 miles, A3s probably one lap less.

NB: I'm not familiar with the area, so I could have picked up the route details incorrectly, but as Diarmuid says, you'll figure it out after first lap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

It ended up a combined A1/A2/A3. The A3's got 45 seconds which was fairly patethic. Bloody windy out there but good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rocketpocket

any results??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

1. Anto Moran Ravens
    2. Brendan Whelan Lucan @ 45s
    3. Robin Kelly
    4. Murtagh Lucan
    5. Diarmiud Orwell @ 49s
    6. Aido Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

morana wrote: »
    1. Anto Moran Ravens
    2. Brendan Whelan Lucan @ 45s
    3. Robin Kelly
    4. Murtagh Lucan
    5. Diarmiud Orwell @ 49s
    6. Aido Orwell
    Was that for the bunch sprint?:p

A break of 4 stayed away joined by 1 in the last 2km.

An A1 from Wexford 1st, The bloke that bridged A1 2nd, A2 from Navan 3rd, Another A1 4th, I got 5th A3, Don't know who got 6th, Dave from Swords 7th.

Maybe Morana can put some names to them sketchy results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

A4 was won by Dan Whiting from Orwell, that's all I remember.

nomadic wrote: »
    Was that for the bunch sprint?:p

A break of 4 stayed away joined by 1 in the last 2km.

An A1 from Wexford 1st, The bloke that bridged A1 2nd, A2 from Navan 3rd, Another A1 4th, I got 5th A3, Don't know who got 6th, Dave from Swords 7th.

Maybe Morana can put some names to them sketchy results.

just a bit of fantasy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Davy Walsh from Wexford Wheelers got the win .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

bad crash in A4's with 500m to go. put me in the rough but stayed up. rolled home in 7th/8th.

saw a fella from naas push a lucan guys saddle for no real good reason. think it caused the crash as it had a knock on effect (pushed guy didn't actually fall- came in 5th i think). guy who fell was lucky he wasn't rolled over as car was coming against us.

do breaks ever form in A4 races. made a few attempts at getting away but all people do is catch you and slow down again. very frustrating.

thanks to killanerr for the lovely cuppa in the camper after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Like to clarify something: I was involved in the crash, second in line to fall and yes indeed it was nasty as a car was coming in the opposite direction, I brought down a guy from Westport who was totally innocent and was really sound, apologised to me for burying his wheel in my back. Well done to the emergency services and a few guys from the other race - especially Sth Dublin guy - who put me back on the bike and lets be happy that it wasn't worse.

As regards pushing, I certainly wasnt looking behind but it is hard to account for the violent swerve of the guy who went first, directly in front of me. I hope he is okay: he said very little after. If there was dangerous pushing, I reckon its better to make the point to the race organiser, rather than on here. Heard nothing about it afterwards and with dodgy bike-handling and A4 riders, a push to someone could be an evasive action to another.

Regarding attacks, each of my team mates made an effort to get away, each time being caught as described above. Made a short attack with a guy from Lucan and we tried together for 3k, but gave up on the descent. At least we were trying, and all I get is roadrash. :mad: With such a small field, each club/team should have tried to get somebody away and make it more like a race than a prelude to a mad gallop.... but anyway..:confused:

We probably need tougher routes to break the field properly, otherwise like so many others I will just have to perfect my sprint, avoiding the carnage in the last kilometre.

PS: Glad to be in one piece. - Remember Seve... RIP

done this the A4,super little circuit,my plan was to hang on for as long as i could,made it to the top of the drag on the last lap but couldnt hang on on the run in to the finish when the road started to rise
    came on the crash glad everyone is ok,just on that were their any emergency services on the race i didnt see any ?,
    got nudged myself during the race if i knew who it was i would of had a few words,if you need a bit of space just give a little shout normally works,

@ pprendeville nice to meet you thanks for the bun very nice,tell your oh to do an extra one for wednesday for me ;)

• Advertisement

done this the A4,super little circuit,my plan was to hang on for as long as i could,made it to the top of the drag on the last lap but couldnt hang on on the run in to the finish when the road started to rise
    came on the crash glad everyone is ok,just on that were their any emergency services on the race i didnt see any ?,
    got nudged myself during the race if i knew who it was i would of had a few words,if you need a bit of space just give a little shout normally works,

@ pprendeville nice to meet you thanks for the bun very nice,tell your oh to do an extra one for tuesday for me ;)

something happening on Tuesday I don't know about or do you mean Wednesday?

and dont forget thursday either :D

fixed it :D

morana wrote: »
    and dont forget thursday either :D

Hectic week this week. Recovery tomorrow, bike fit down near Roundwood Tuesday, Swords league Wed, Boot Inn TUrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

sheepfield wrote: »
    Like to clarify something: I was involved in the crash, second in line to fall and yes indeed it was nasty as a car was coming in the opposite direction, I brought down a guy from Westport who was totally innocent and was really sound, apologised to me for burying his wheel in my back. Well done to the emergency services and a few guys from the other race - especially Sth Dublin guy - who put me back on the bike and lets be happy that it wasn't worse.

As regards pushing, I certainly wasnt looking behind but it is hard to account for the violent swerve of the guy who went first, directly in front of me. I hope he is okay: he said very little after. If there was dangerous pushing, I reckon its better to make the point to the race organiser, rather than on here. Heard nothing about it afterwards and with dodgy bike-handling and A4 riders, a push to someone could be an evasive action to another.

Regarding attacks, each of my team mates made an effort to get away, each time being caught as described above. Made a short attack with a guy from Lucan and we tried together for 3k, but gave up on the descent. At least we were trying, and all I get is roadrash. :mad: With such a small field, each club/team should have tried to get somebody away and make it more like a race than a prelude to a mad gallop.... but anyway..:confused:

We probably need tougher routes to break the field properly, otherwise like so many others I will just have to perfect my sprint, avoiding the carnage in the last kilometre.

PS: Glad to be in one piece. - Remember Seve... RIP

That was me that buried my front wheel in your back! I couldn't believe that you managed to get up and cycle in considering your back buckled my front wheel. I really thought I did serious damage to you.... Thankfully not though and we were all able to get up off the road in one piece:D

I tried attacking on the last lap. My plan was to attack when we hit the section with the tail wind, & build a gap by the time we got to the turn into the head wind, hoping that no one behind would be willing to work behind into the wind but I was shut down. I was hoping someone would come with me as 2 of us would have a better chance of staying away.

On another note, does anyone know they have any pictures of the crash? It would make for spectacular viewing considering I went head over heels over my handlebars....

cormpat wrote: »
    That was me that buried my front wheel in your back! I couldn't believe that you managed to get up and cycle in considering your back buckled my front wheel. I really thought I did serious damage to you.... Thankfully not though and we were all able to get up off the road in one piece:D

I tried attacking on the last lap. My plan was to attack when we hit the section with the tail wind, & build a gap by the time we got to the turn into the head wind, hoping that no one behind would be willing to work behind into the wind but I was shut down. I was hoping someone would come with me as 2 of us would have a better chance of staying away.

On another note, does anyone know they have any pictures of the crash? It would make for spectacular viewing considering I went head over heels over my handlebars....

thought i saw someone going out over heandlebars alright and flying up in the air. real neck breaker accident. thank God you are both ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Advertisement