Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mountain biking

Options
  • 02-05-2011 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

just wanted to ask a question of anyone who knows the wicklow way. Am I allowed to cycle the route of the Wicklow Way???? cannot find any info saying not allowed but some country types like to think that the only people allowed to use the counry are walkers, so want to be sure, before I cycle it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Not sure of the answer but I know that people cycle it all the time. I run on it a lot and often meet mountain bikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 roc_racer

just wanted to ask a question of anyone who knows the wicklow way. Am I allowed to cycle the route of the Wicklow Way???? cannot find any info saying not allowed but some country types like to think that the only people allowed to use the counry are walkers, so want to be sure, before I cycle it

I've been mountain biking in Wicklow for well over 10 years now. Strictly speaking, MTB is not allowed on Coillte lands and the Wicklow National Parks which pretty much covers all of the WW. In practice, there is a lot of MTB and its a live and let live situation. Always yield to walkers, say hello, play nice and do not go screaming by them with inches to spare. Coillte work well with the MTB Commission and things like the Ballinstoe MTB park and the regular NPS races are an outcome of this.

You will unfortunately find a small minority of walkers who think the mountains belong to them - be reasonable and polite and ride on.

And enjoy - Wicklow has the best trails in the country !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Check out this thread from 2 years ago in the Outdoors forum - this bloke was planning to cycle the way. Never did find out how he got on - you could PM him for advice maybe?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56618657

Advertisement