Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliability of cat eye speedo

Options
  • 01-05-2011 5:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following a spin around the cliffs of Moher last week, I was shocked to see a max speed reached of 104.9kph. Now while a had a following wind coming into Lahinch, I seriously doubt that I achieved this speed or anything approaching it. I'm guessing it's down to something interfering with the magnetic sensor on the speedo, but can't figure out what. Anyone else get duff readings from magentic sensor based speedometers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Is it wireless? I've never had that from a wired computer. My guess is double counting (twice for a wheel revolution.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It's wired, but double counting was what I was also thinking, as I certainly would have been travelling in the mid 50s for part of the descent. My best guess is getting a double reading travelling over a rough surface, as the trip distance was accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭corkandproud

It would double count the distance too as there's only one pick up for speed and distance. (Although the distance double counted might be over a few revolutions only)

My wireless have never given any trouble, lines up very closely to imapmyride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Got a reading into the 90s (Mph) once with a wired Cateye. Took it as being electrical interference. Was going quick maybe a double count as above
    But have found Cateye very good over the years

Advertisement