Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route suggestions?

Options
  • 01-05-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

So after much lurking on this forum, I've finally taken the plunge and splashed out on a road bike (well, road/hybrid), a Giant Rapid 2. Got it yesterday evening and can't wait to get going on it! Any suggestions for routes starting around the rathmines area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

have a look through threads here for mapped routes. depends on your ability/fitness. Head on to the rathgar road from rathmines and in terenure go left to rathfarnham then just after that turn right at the yellow pub...from there you can go straight on keeping an eye out for signs for glencree via Stocking Lane Or take the left fork just after the pub and aim up to a shorter cycle to Kilmashanogue lane (steep but with a lookout over the city halfway up)

happy trails

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

Get yourself on mapmyride.com as well. It has an abundance of routes to choose from. Enjoy the new bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Since its your first time using your bike, why not try laps of the phoenix park.
    I think its a great place to get going. Will be out there tomorrow myself, from rathmines. to phoenix, about 7 laps, and back to rathmines, is about 49km. It might be a bit tedious to do laps, but its good that you can keep a good eye on your rythm.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give all the suggestions a go at some point. Cycled out to Bray yesterday (but got the dart back!). Only 20k but it was my first ride so I was happy enough. Think I'll try the kiIlmashogue trip next (I've driven up the hill before so I know what to expect:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Great idea using the dart for spins. Don't forget Howth (try not to cycle two abreast), Portmarnock and you should be able to get your bike on at Maynooth. Try avoiding the hills until you get your legs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement