Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell-Lucan-Usher-Terians-UCD club league 20/4/2011

Options
  • 22-04-2011 3:04pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭


    Just wondering if anyone has any stats from the races didnt have a computer with me, thought myself that the race felt slower than the last time we raced in brittas.

    And what a finish for the scratch race for a 2 man break to stay away from the gun !!


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk


    Was driving home last night and caught the tail end of you lot coming in. What route did ye take?


  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero


    Garmin sez: 1hr 11mins, 44.3km, avg 37.5kph. Max 56.6kph. Semi-limit.

    It did feel a bit slow at times, especially on the second lap - the only time the pace upped was when the odd brave soul had a go off the front, and he'd get reeled in in a matter of a minute or two.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix


    Thats quite a bit down from two weeks ago, was kinda funny the same people attacking all the time


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien


    Similar stats for me, 37.7kph, and I did no attacking and finished mid group for SL. Given the lack of training I've had, happy to have managed to finish in the group! But yeah, a lot of it felt fairly comfortable, only strained when a break went as the pace picked up, and had very little left for a sprint at the end. But again, with the lack of training I've been able to do, just happy I finished within sight of the winners!!! Messy enough race though, occassionally way too wide on the road, with lots of people moving to the outside of a 6 wide group and not moving up, leading to 8/9 people wide on the main road at times; that was a lane and a half wide...


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom


    39.7kph avg. in the scratch break - not all that impressive but it took all I had and, in the end, was enough to stay away. I had nothing left for the sprint but was happy to get second and not get overhauled by the LCRC rider who managed to bridge across to us.

    I'd love to know what the difference in power needed to avg. that speed in a two-up break compared to sitting in the bunch. I've done races on that circuit that were a good bit faster than last night, but I've never had to dig as deep - my HR profile shows I was basically doing over-an-under threshold work for the whole race. That's even harder than just sitting at threshold I think.

    Good sprint from you, Levitronix, and congrats on the upgrade. :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom


    iregk wrote: »
    Was driving home last night and caught the tail end of you lot coming in. What route did ye take?

    ROUTE

    The finish was at B last night at the top of the drag. They move the finish around sometimes though, the sneaky bastards.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix


    I the league opener i thought semi limit might have a chance to stay away and worked like a tropper at the front, first 20 mins was an average of 266 watts NP was 290+ then when the catch was made by scratch i averaged 220 watts and went 2 kph quicker.

    You would of had to of been putting out over the 300 watts for the hour because i do some interval training on that ciruit and normally average 250 watts per lap with an average around 35kph and i dont think i could come close to 38kph solo


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom


    This league needs a catchier name.


  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns


    Chappeau to niceonetom and Alan Cody in the scratch/semi scratch race. And Frank Billings for making it across in the third lap. I was doing lead car and the two lads went from the off. They put in a great shift between them and got a good 20 seconds by first time over the bridge. Ian O'Hara did great to make it across to them on the first lap and was unlucky to cramp on the third. On the second lap I thought they were caught by the turn to the main road but they really put the hammer down again and by the time they turned off the main road I knew they had it. It was a really impressive effort to increase the gap on the last lap, as it was for Frank Billings to bridge. Really well done Tom on what I thought was a suicide mission from the off. I think you should stay in semi-scratch. We don't need (ahem, want) your type in scratch..


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie


    Stats for me in the Limit race: 1h14m, 22.4mph (36kph) average. Seems pretty pedestrian compared to the figures for scratch/semi-scratch but certainly didn't feel pedestrian during the race - my heart rate felt like it was at "Cardiac Arrest Imminent" level for much of the race.

    I thought there were some strong riders in the limit group (by my standards anyway). Someone on a silver Cannondale with a distinctive dent in the top tube did a lot of work all the way through - fair play to him, I'm not sure how he fared in the final results but he deserved to place well by effort alone. There was a guy on a Raleigh Fortius (nice looking bike) who put in a few surges on the last lap which probably helped break things up a bit. Wasn't impressed by the timing of one of those surges though 'cos as a few of use chased after him, me with my mouth open with effort, we swept around a bend into a cloud of flies. What the hell, I could use the protein, winged or otherwise...


  • Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty


    niceonetom wrote: »
    This league needs a catchier name.
    U LOUTS:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77


    2nd time racing, limit group. Felt a good bit slower than the first time (we'd a few bumped up after that one), not many were prepared to do anything at the front. Stats say 43.5kms, av 35kms/hr, max 53.8, time 1:14:24. A Tiernans guy got away on the final lap, once we hit the main road myself, a UCD guy, and a rider wearing some Columbia gear took it down.

    Had a good bit left for the sprint, but again went waaaay too early. I had a marker of when I wanted to go, thought I saw it and just went. Realised I was still a couple of corners away.... couldn't keep up the sprint for that much. Tried to power through, but got caught a good bit from the line, 5 riders passed me and I crawled over for 6. If those 5 riders had been 10, I'd have been 11th...

    Disgusted at going too soon again, will really have to try to play the cat and mouse game a bit better next time.

    On the other hand, happy to be off the mark with some points.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom


    100Suns wrote: »
    Chappeau to niceonetom and Alan Cody in the scratch/semi scratch race. And Frank Billings for making it across in the third lap. I was doing lead car and the two lads went from the off. They put in a great shift between them and got a good 20 seconds by first time over the bridge. Ian O'Hara did great to make it across to them on the first lap and was unlucky to cramp on the third. On the second lap I thought they were caught by the turn to the main road but they really put the hammer down again and by the time they turned off the main road I knew they had it. It was a really impressive effort to increase the gap on the last lap, as it was for Frank Billings to bridge. Really well done Tom on what I thought was a suicide mission from the off. I think you should stay in semi-scratch. We don't need (ahem, want) your type in scratch..

    That was very impressive from Frank to get over to us. I thought he was a harbinger of doom and that the bunch would be right behind him. I might have been cagier in the last km if I'd known we had 30 seconds but I just kept riding steady and hard and decided I'd get what I got and be happy with it. There wasn't a chance in hell of me responding when Cody opened the sprint. I think Frank hadn't recovered enough from bridging to come around me on the line.

    Thanks for the shouts from the car, btw. It was encouraging and distracting from the pain.

    Next time though, when you're doing lead-car, could you drive a little closer to us? I was trying to get us up to you, but you were staying miles ahead. When you hear me knocking on the back window you can accelerate slightly. Thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix


    doozerie wrote: »
    Stats for me in the Limit race: 1h14m, 22.4mph (36kph) average. Seems pretty pedestrian compared to the figures for scratch/semi-scratch but certainly didn't feel pedestrian during the race - my heart rate felt like it was at "Cardiac Arrest Imminent" level for much of the race.

    I thought there were some strong riders in the limit group (by my standards anyway). Someone on a silver Cannondale with a distinctive dent in the top tube did a lot of work all the way through - fair play to him, I'm not sure how he fared in the final results but he deserved to place well by effort alone. There was a guy on a Raleigh Fortius (nice looking bike) who put in a few surges on the last lap which probably helped break things up a bit. Wasn't impressed by the timing of one of those surges though 'cos as a few of use chased after him, me with my mouth open with effort, we swept around a bend into a cloud of flies. What the hell, I could use the protein, winged or otherwise...

    The guy on the cannodale finished 7th, i told him before he start dont sit on the front haha but thats the kinda rider he is


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie


    levitronix wrote: »
    The guy on the cannodale finished 7th, i told him before he start dont sit on the front haha but thats the kinda rider he is

    Thought he faded in the last few hundred metres alright but wasn't sure how much. I was surprised to get past him and even more surprised that he didn't go past me in the last few metres.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie


    For info of anyone doing the club league race this Thursday, the council, in their wisdom, have put down a lot of gravel on one stretch of the road and run away presumably in the hope that the god of steamrollers will turn up and turn the manky surface into something better resembling a road. Must be holiday season for steamroller gods though 'cos the road remains a gravelly mess, or was on Sunday anyway. It's a half mile stretch from just before the turn-off for Sallygap heading north. That stretch was littered with small potholes before but now it's even more dangerous.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo


    doozerie wrote: »
    For info of anyone doing the club league race this Thursday, the council, in their wisdom, have put down a lot of gravel on one stretch of the road and run away presumably in the hope that the god of steamrollers will turn up and turn the manky surface into something better resembling a road. Must be holiday season for steamroller gods though 'cos the road remains a gravelly mess, or was on Sunday anyway. It's a half mile stretch from just before the turn-off for Sallygap heading north. That stretch was littered with small potholes before but now it's even more dangerous.

    On the descent? They did the same thing last year, it was a little bit dodgy for a few races. More chances to get away I guess :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie


    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    On the descent? They did the same thing last year, it was a little bit dodgy for a few races. More chances to get away I guess :)

    No, it's on a bit of a twisty-turny drag so not the worst place on the circuit but it's that light grey coloured gravel and the loose stuff tends to blend into the gravel which is actually stuck to the road. I only spotted some of the mounds of loose gravel when my tyres were actually in them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor


    Was up that way tonight myself, Irish roads at there best is all I can say, lose chippings from Kilbride for a good half mile alright.


Advertisement