Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where exactly this photo was taken

Options
  • 17-04-2011 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Thats the sugarloaf mountain, anyone familiar with where this was taken, is is lookin N or S or E or W or do you know the road or the cottage.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I think it is view from Glencree looking eastwards. No idea from what part though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

2nd that, it looks like Knockanree behind the highest pine tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

May I ask where did you get that picture from???

I have a postcard with a verse on it by the same person, Eva Brennan, titled 'Going to market'. My Great-grandfather is in it but I had no idea there were more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Muas Tenek

That's the South face of the Sugarloaf so the viewer is looking North.
    May be the Red Road but Sugarloaf looks too far away.
    Possibly extrapolated by the artist for image effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

FluffyCat wrote: »
    May I ask where did you get that picture from???

I have a postcard with a verse on it by the same person, Eva Brennan, titled 'Going to market'. My Great-grandfather is in it but I had no idea there were more!!

It's also a postcard from the company 'Valentine's' posted to my Grandmother from Wicklow in about 1940 by a friend who was holidaying in Westmeath, I think they were a big company back in the day and probably sold millions of postcards.

Thanks for the suggestions about location guy's !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Muas Tenek wrote: »
    That's the South face of the Sugarloaf so the viewer is looking North.
    May be the Red Road but Sugarloaf looks too far away.
    Possibly extrapolated by the artist for image effect.

No that is not from the South - it is taken from the north and i would second Glencree direction. Its definately not the red lane.

here is the closest I can find on google maps.
    Definitely the South face (the hump on the left is where the car park is).
    Also Glencree is West of the Sugarloaf and I don't ever recall being able to see the sugarloaf from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Sorry Muas but it is definitely not from the south. You will see that side of the sugarloaf from both the Glencree and Enniskerry road.

Judging by the OP's original post the hump where the carpark is on the left of the photo, whereas the hump is on the right looking from Enniskerry and Glencree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭.243

definitly from glencree somewhere facing east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

thanks for all the suggestions, will be taking a sunday drive next week to check them all out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I am not sure about glencree myself.
    This is a pic i took of sugarloaf

5212251570_d5164ffe1a.jpg
    Sugarloaf, Wicklow Mountains. by JayGriffin, on Flickr

This pic is taken with powers court house behind me. I think to see the shape you have on the op you need to come east (left of my pic) towards the coast, this would the give an angle where the hump would blend into the peak as in original post. I only moved to the area since the n11 through Glen of the downs was built but the pic looks like it could be taken looking down towards Glen of the downs where the n11 is now or maybe toward rocky valley road from enniskerry to the roundwood road.

In my pic you can se the same outline of fields on the side of the sugarloaf and the rows of trees on the slope to the left of the image.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Bedad! I think you're right - it might not be from Glencree at all. I wonder did the Powerscourts once reside in that cottage?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

If you look google maps and switch to terrain mode you can, I think, work out the rough area. My guess is it is roughly taken from 'little newtown' (search google maps for little Newtown and change to terrain mode)

You can see the angle of sugarloaf should be about right and the hill with the trees on would be the one next to Stilebawn.

Again I could be completely wrong.
    I do have some photos of sugarloaf from the glencree road near glencree, and from glencullen near jonny foxes, I will try and dig one out but I don't think the angles match.

just a slight contradiction, looking at a shot i took from Curtlestown on the Enniskerry to Glencree road the view / angle of Sugarloaf is just about right although i the main parts of my shot are to the right of the main peak.

looking at the picture from this angle i would try driving down the road to the left just before curtlestown, marked on google maps as annacrivey. According to google maps there are some small lanes down there.

May god, just noticed that google have street view for all the little lanes between enniskerry and glencree. It shouldnt be so hard to find the right view.

sorry for all the posts, i am on a mission now to locate the image :-) would love to try and recreate it.

This is as near as i can get using google. I think i am pretty close here but need to drive out to take a better look.

5659130122_cfafdc4ca3.jpg
    sugarloaf view by JayGriffin, on Flickr

Does anyone think the hill to the right of the screen shot could be the one from pic. I am not sure if the hill on the left will come into view if you were to move towards the hill on the right.

Advertisement