Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bomb Squad Kilcoole Beach

Options
  • 11-04-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what was going on? Bomb squad, motorbike cops, traffic cops, army .. loads of them. Mad! Apparently there was a bomb in a house but that came secondhand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Thanks but why were they down the beach with their lights flashing an hour ago?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Son of Jack, do you know that both links refer to the same incident? Cheeky Chops, keep us posted! Maybe post in the Greystones forum though for more web traffic?

Ok apparently the one down the beach was a second world war "object" that they believed at the time may have been a bomb hence all the units out.

But it wasn't then? What is it? : )

• Advertisement

Well I heard it was a buoy from that period but you couldn't mistake a buoy for a bomb could you?

That's not a very sexy story either .. bomb squad find buoy...:D

Well maybe not a bomb, but didn't sea-mines look a little like buoys when they were jutting out of the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lconmara

it was most likely an anti-submarine device from ww2. looked pretty much like a sea mine... the guards were called for advice when it was dug up and they decided it was too risky to deem it safe and called the bomb squad. It took them three hours to determine what it was - it wasn't obvious to them either that it wasn't a bomb they even x-rayed it.

Thanks ....

very sexy reply :)

huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

lconmara wrote: »
    it was most likely an anti-submarine device from ww2. looked pretty much like a sea mine... the guards were called for advice when it was dug up and they decided it was too risky to deem it safe and called the bomb squad. It took them three hours to determine what it was - it wasn't obvious to them either that it wasn't a bomb they even x-rayed it.
    What's an 'anti-submarine device' that isn't a mine?

huh?

I was just joking .. ;)

Alun wrote: »
    What's an 'anti-submarine device' that isn't a mine?

there were lots of them, this yoke most likely held a chain net that would stop the subs in their tracks...

I was just joking .. ;)

i reread my answer, couldn't find anything sexy about it. must just be the air about me...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

there were lots of them, this yoke most likely held a chain net that would stop the subs in their tracks...
    I knew about the chains, saw them many times on B&W WW2 films on the telly, but didn't think there'd be much else to them apart from the chains themselves. What would it have been then, a float of some sort that the chains hung down from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

they even x-rayed it.
    Today's Bray People talked about this story.

They quoted the following
    "They even X-rayed it" said a source

That's journalism there.

Advertisement