Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to Silver Strand without car??

Options
  • 26-03-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

Remember visiting this beach years ago and would like to visit again, can someone tell me how to get there from Dublin without a car. Is there a bus that takes you near enough to for eg?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

If you take the Dublin Wicklow Bus Eireann route 133 to the terminus - check with the driver that he's going to the top of Wicklow town, not continuing to Arklow - but you are still a good 3 miles away from the Silver Strand :(.
    There are a few local taxi companies that would be able to drop you out to the Strand though.
    Alternatively take the train to Wicklow and get a taxi from there. There is no rank at the station so you'd need to book one in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Paul is right
    Bus to Wicklow, taxi the rest of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

lottpaul wrote: »
    If you take the Dublin Wicklow Bus Eireann route 133 to the terminus - check with the driver that he's going to the top of Wicklow town, not continuing to Arklow - but you are still a good 3 miles away from the Silver Strand :(.
    There are a few local taxi companies that would be able to drop you out to the Strand though.
    Alternatively take the train to Wicklow and get a taxi from there. There is no rank at the station so you'd need to book one in advance.

That's what I suspected :( What are the roads even like for walking that distance, suitable or not?

--LOS-- wrote: »
    That's what I suspected :( What are the roads even like for walking that distance, suitable or not?

Well, according to google maps its about 3.5 KMs from the bus stop, taking approximately 45 mins.
    The road is undulating and lacks footpaths when you leave Wicklow town.

I have walked it before, its not great!

so 45mins walk or 5 mins by taxi.

Unless you have a bike and they stow it under the bus for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Well, according to google maps its about 3.5 KMs from the bus stop, taking approximately 45 mins.

Agree mostly - the road is very twisting and pretty busy and narrow after the town limits but if the weather is fine it's a nice little walk with good views out to the lighthouses etc. Bus Eireann do take bikes but it often seems to be at the discretion of the individual drivers :(

Either way - if you do go - enjoy! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks spank, I do have a bike so I would consider that, I wouldn't shy away from a few miles walk either once it wasn't on main roads.
    lottpaul wrote: »
    Agree mostly - the road is very twisting and pretty busy and narrow after the town limits but if the weather is fine it's a nice little walk with good views out to the lighthouses etc. Bus Eireann do take bikes but it often seems to be at the discretion of the individual drivers :(

Either way - if you do go - enjoy! :)

I know what you mean about the drivers, they might be more accommodating if it wasn't at a busy time like early morning which it probably would be.
    thanks!

--LOS-- wrote: »
    they might be more accommodating if it wasn't at a busy time like early morning which it probably would be.
    thanks!

Mabey so, though remember, if your taking a bus from Dublin to Wicklow in the morning, it will be pretty quiet (all commuter traffic being in the other direction)
    So with luck the bus driver will accomodate.

Best of luck with it, I hope its as nice as the memories were!

Mabey so, though remember, if your taking a bus from Dublin to Wicklow in the morning, it will be pretty quiet (all commuter traffic being in the other direction)
    So with luck the bus driver will accomodate.

Best of luck with it, I hope its as nice as the memories were!

That's what I meant with my post woops! I won't be going till the weather picks up a bit, just the change in weather recently made me think of it :)

Advertisement