Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: All types of musicians in Waterford

Options
  • 20-03-2011 10:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

I'm hoping to start a new monthly open mic and/or jamming session in Waterford city.

All musical genres are welcome.

If you fancy a relaxed social-musical night out once a month, then please reply here or PM me if you prefer.

Kieran.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

nice idea, it's great that all genres are welcome(makes it interesting) and sound good for a session and a bit of craic

but yer just missing a few small details mate

like do ya have a place picked out for this like a pub/bar/cafe or public centre? or is that still a spanner in the works?
    also do ya have an age group in mind or are all ages welcome?

just a few tips to help ya get people interested, otherwise looks good

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Howya RC - thanks for the interest.

All ages would be welcome - the greater the diversity the better :)

Re: where we'd all meet up and play - I'm not sure and am open to any suggestions. I live out by the Gael Scoil in Ballygunner but can drive (and give people a lift if need be!), so anyplace is good for me.

I guess we can meet wherever suits most of the people who are interested - democracy rules!

Personally, I like the relaxed atmosphere of a pub for a session. But again, I'm open to any ideas.

(There's one pub in particular that I reckon would be more than happy to accommodate a monthly session.)

We could start off in a pub maybe and see where the music takes things from there.

Kieran.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

cool, count me in. Keep us posted about whats happening.
    My band would be interested in taking part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

yeah, pubs would be yer best bet, prob best to find one in the centre of waterford city,
    but studios(eg ruby studios) charge(dunno how much) for rental of rehersal space rental by the hour so there's also a thought if ya got a group together and they all chipped in the fee

Thanks again RC.

I thought people could maybe do an 'Even Better Than the Real Thing' cover of their favourite songs to begin with. If we're going to have a jam in a pub someplace, we'd have to "give" something to the bar - a few covers to entertain their customers could be just the job here.

I'm open to any format though - as long as it's not too serious and a bit of craic, then I'm happy to do the running and get something started.

Kieran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

Absolutley count me in!
    I'm 18, a guitarist singer/songwriter, and this sounds right up my alley. Yeah just a few things like timing, places and fees should be covered,like saturday night a few times a month or whatever.
    but yeah defo count me in!
    Will it be paid?
    I dont mind either way but just to know.

James O'Halloran (Tony Hall)

Have you tried asking Geoffs? That get really going on saturdays, or even the Wacky Apple?

PM me anyway im very interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

Never been to an open mic night, what exactly does it entail?

My idea of an open-mic/jamming-session night is that you turn up and play - nothing more, nothing less :)

I don't know if they still do it, but I know Philly Grimes used to have a more formal, proper open-mic night where you booked your slot in advance. I was upstairs in Phillys a few times and it's a good night out. There were some really great professional musicians there.

I have a much more informal approach in mind, where you turn up, meet fellow musicians, play a few tunes together and see what happens.

Kieran.

Hiya again folks,

Getting a few PMs now re getting involved in this once-a-month plan.

Will update here when something looks like it's getting organised.

Kieran.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

Yeah. Count me in man. Sounds good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Hey, if yer gonna be playing some blues I'd be up for that :-)

Thanks lads.

Some lively blues would definitely be welcome!

Was talking to someone today who reckoned something like this would be welcome in a few venues around town:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuJ8zRwQknI&tracker=False

This would be right down my alley, to be honest.

Would any of ye be interested in a starting up a monthly session that might lead to a sound like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

Is that the only kinda sound you're looking for, or are any genres and styles welcome,
    I can play any style, and ill play with anyone whos looking for either good craic or sound musicianship.

I reckon all styles and genres could fit in.

But I think, to start off with anyway, that an alt-folk sound would make it easier to get a home in some of the pubs around town.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

Hi guys. I know I'm going slightly off thread, but does anyone know somebody who gives tin whistle lessons? I've already contacted a few places (Ceoltas, Flying Fingers Music School etc.) but no one has come back to me.

Hiya Dolly,

Not sure where you might get a few tin whistle lessons, but you could always buy one of those "starter packs" from the Book Centre. You get a tin whistle, a book of easy, popular tunes and an accompanying CD. Think it's around €10-€12.

Sure come along to the soon-to-be-organised sessions and take it from there too :)

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

Yeah I got one of those in Waltons a while back but I'm at the stage now where I could do with proper lessons. Cheers anyway! Hope the sessions go well for ye. I think I'd make a better spectator than participant at the moment but I'll keep an eye on the thread and hopefully catch ye at some stage.

Howdy to all again,

I'm trying to get numbers now for this new session/jam in Waterford.

Could anyone who's interested in playing alternative folksie type of music (less manic version of Gogol Bordello: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFL2SXGdrVA) and having a bit of craic once a month please send me a PM or reply here?

Thanks,
    Kieran.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aarongrant46

Hi, I have been playing guitar for the past 18 months and looking to take it on to the next level, this session would interest me, i dont have any stage experience at all and was wondering does this session cater for all levels?

thanks
    Aaron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Patrick Wall

Advertisement