Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Responsible Parenting: Dad turns in own kids for bullying.

Options
  • 18-03-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

Source: http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/03/18/ipswich-dad-turns-in-kids-bullying-crime/
    AN IRATE Ipswich father has marched his two children to a police station to have them charged with assault after catching them attacking another teen.

The father, who did not want to be identified, was so enraged with his kids that he sold his 17-year-old son's recently purchased car and 15-year-old daughter's horse as further punishment.

The pair admitted to picking on their bullying victim because he wore glasses, the same reason their father said he was bullied as a child.

The father said following the assault, which left the victim with a broken jaw, his two children would face court next month.

His act of tough love, which he told to radio station 97.3FM as part of a bullying awareness week, has won him plaudits from other parents.

He said the incident started this week when he came home from work early.

“About three weeks ago it was brought to my attention, through the school they attend, that they have been bullying a child at school,” he said.

“I came around the corner three streets from home. There's my 17-year-old son and 15-year-old daughter and they're fair beating the living crap out of this kid.”

He said he damaged his car as he pulled up on the gutter, dragged his kids into the back of the car and took the 13-year-old victim back to his home before doling out the punishment.

“I marched both my kids into the local police station. They've both now been charged with assault,” he said.

After returning home he said the 13-year-old had suffered a broken jaw in the assault.

The man said his daughter confessed to bullying the victim because he wore glasses, prompting the dad to pull out photos of him as a child with glasses.

He said he “detested” bullying and would stand behind the parents of the bullied child if they went ahead with charges.

After telling 97.3FM the story on Wednesday he called yesterday to say his kids had started to feel remorse for their actions.

“They're very remorseful for what they've done. They know they've done wrong. They regret it,” he said.

The father was contacted by The Queensland Times for comment but declined an interview.

Much respect to the man. I wish more parents were like this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

that 17 year old is some hard man for picking on a 13 year old. bravo to the father - pity more parents dont take the initiative and try to stamp out that bullsh!t once and for all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Here's hoping they learn their lesson and don't end up with a criminal record. It's good to see a parent with some backbone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,639 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They won't talk to him in a couple years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

fair play to the dad, that was much harder to do than ignore the situation or blindly defend them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Fair play to the guy. If I was a parent of the other child, I don't think I would press charges though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

poisonated wrote: »
    Fair play to the guy. If I was a parent of the other child, I don't think I would press charges though.

The kids jaw was broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

They broke the kids jaw. I'd demand they get nails driven through their heads.
    Well, I probably wouldn't. But yeah, Id press charges alright.

why not do you mind me asking? the two scumbags broke the chaps jaw. if i was his parent id repay the favour

edit: beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Yeah that's true. I don't know. I just don't think I would have the heart to do that. Maybe if it was more than just a hypothetical situation, I would feel differently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I hope he doesn't need to depend on them when he gets older.

Blood is thicker than water and I would always always defend my own, no matter how wrong they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The 2 fùckers learnt what the consequences of their actions was.

Only pity is you don't hear enough of this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Fair play to the father. I'd be disgusted with my kids if they were bullies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Hope they get a criminal record and everything else they deserve for being little cnuts. Fair play to the father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Stinicker wrote: »

Blood is thicker than water and I would always always defend my own, no matter how wrong they were.

You'd back your own if they were behaving like cowardly scumbags?

I think the man should be applauded. I know my parents would have killed me if i'd been bullying other kids when i was young. Unfortunately there are a lot of parents these days who'd refuse to accept their little darling was a bully.

that might be ok for name calling or something but they kicked the crap out of somebody weaker than them and broke his jaw. if the father didnt come along the end product couldve been a lot worse. might have been murder or manslaughter instead of assault

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Ev84

They will more than likely thank their father when they get older for leading them down the right path and onto a better life. I hear what you're saying and all but sure if he defended them after that what would they do next? You have to be cruel to be kind. He doesn't want his kids turning out like the scumbags who bullied him when he was young. It's completely understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Overheal wrote: »
    They won't talk to him in a couple years

Big loss for him. They sound like a couple of pathetic idiots anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Do you not mean stand by them? I understand exactly why he brought them to the police station and would understand exactly why he would still accept them and treat them like his kids but... it was a vicious attack on a person much weaker (we can safely assume that) than the two kids; not to mention the fact that it was a 2 on 1 attack and over something as little as glasses.

I can bet you that if it was a black kid being beaten up for being black you'd change your tune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hang on, I am not defending the kids actions however I think the father was a bit feckless in grassing his own kids out to the Police. If it were my own kids I'd punish them accordingly but not take them to the police.

Result of this:

Kids gets Criminal record, may possibly deteriorate into a further life of crime.
    Kids named and shamed, future criminal record will hinder job prospects, visas to work and live abroad etc.
    Father has probably permanently fractured his relationship with his children, such psychological damage to the kids that they may end up as career criminals as a result.

All this talk of tough love, however quite alot of our modern day scumbags develop out of tough love, abusive enviornments and grow up with an insolar deranged view of the world. Spare the rod, ruin the child, however in this fathers case he is now bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted and if he showed a different approach to parenting earlier on thenhe would never arrived at a situation where he found himself having to report his own kids to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Devils advocate........If the father had done his job when they were young they wouldnt be 15 and 17 year old bullies!! No point in being all self righteous now.You instill morals and values from the time they are born.

Plus he is a rat bastard for going to the cops, should have kicked f*ck out of them himself with his glasses on, the 4 eyed gimp.

guess stinicker beat me to it.

• Advertisement

Hang on, I am not defending the kids actions however I think the father was a bit feckless in grassing his own kids out to the Police. If it were my own kids I'd punish them accordingly but not take them to the police.

Result of this:

Kids gets Criminal record, may possibly deteriorate into a further life of crime.
    Kids named and shamed, future criminal record will hinder job prospects, visas to work and live abroad etc.
    Father has probably permanently fractured his relationship with his children, such psychological damage to the kids that they may end up as career criminals as a result.

All this talk of tough love, however quite alot of our modern day scumbags develop out of tough love, abusive enviornments and grow up with an insolar deranged view of the world. Spare the rod, ruin the child, however in this fathers case he is now bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted and if he showed a different approach to parenting earlier on thenhe would never arrived at a situation where he found himself having to report his own kids to the police.

Two things you aren't realizing. Their father wore glasses as a child nad he too, was probably bullied. You don't know how bad kids can be bullied, if they don't see a true punishment for their actions then they'll just repeat them.

At the age of 15 and 17 they are well aware of what happens by breaking someone's jaw; they deserve to have a record for it. It's not as if they just threw a few insults or even broke his glasses. They acted like thugs and should be treated like such.

Oh and... you're actually saying it's a problem that he "grassed" on them? Seriously? :eek:

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Devils advocate........If the father had done his job when they were young they wouldnt be 15 and 17 year old bullies!! No point in being all self righteous now.You instill morals and values from the time they are born.

Plus he is a rat bastard for going to the cops, should have kicked f*ck out of them himself with his glasses on, the 4 eyed gimp.

Grow up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Totally agree with what the father did.
    Well done dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

I thing children are just a bad investment

haha so now the father is getting the blame?! jeez. so just because the kids are scum that automatically means its the parents fault? the father knows what its like to be tormented - fair fcuks to him for trying to spare another innocent child of the same abuse. in my mind the pair of them deserve a lot more than a criminal record

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ev84 wrote: »
    They will more than likely thank their father when they get older for leading them down the right path and onto a better life. I hear what you're saying and all but sure if he defended them after that what would they do next? You have to be cruel to be kind. He doesn't want his kids turning out like the scumbags who bullied him when he was young. It's completely understandable.

I don't really agree with this to be honest, and I think the father may well regret his actions. Sure, the punks needed to be punished, and taught a lesson, but they face the possibility now of criminal convictions, and a record which may hinder their chances of obtaining employment for years to come.

sonic85 wrote: »
    haha so now the father is getting the blame?! jeez. so just because the kids are scum that automatically means its the parents fault? the father knows what its like to be tormented - fair fcuks to him for trying to spare another innocent child of the same abuse. in my mind the pair of them deserve a lot more than a criminal record

I can understand why people say it would be his fault but... come on. Kids are people. Just because I have it rammed into me that X is bad, doesn't mean I'll listen to my friends. For all we know the father did do a wonderful job (and buying them a horse and a car seems like a good caring father); if he didn't make them take responsibility then I would blame him for not being a good parent.

He did all he could; he just had to turn them in to make them understand what they did.

Einhard wrote: »
    I don't really agree with this to be honest, and I think the father may well regret his actions. Sure, the punks needed to be punished, and taught a lesson, but they face the possibility now of criminal convictions, and a record which may hinder their chances of obtaining employment for years to come.

Anyone who gives someone else a broken jaw through bullying at the age of 15 or 17 deserves to be on a chain-gang. The Hell would I be happy working with someone who's a violent bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Einhard wrote: »
    You can't break the law and expect to get away with it. I thought that was the basis of your anti Ming argument. Bit of consistency please.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

1. As they are under 18 their records will be closed/wiped clean when they reach 18.
    2. Better to show them the consequences of their actions now and explain why it is wrong - than let them get away with it and let them build up a confidence that they can slowly but surely possibly get away with more and more...

Sometimes as a parent in the short term, you have to be cruel to be kind in effort for the long term.

Advertisement