Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dosing Plans

Options
  • 16-03-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on the following as regards dosing this year,(up until now it's been fairly ad hoc):

Turnout- 2nd April

STORES (10-12 months old)
    First Dose- 23rd April, Animec Pour on & Blackleg Vaccine
    Second Dose- 28th May, Albex Drench & Blackleg booster shot
    Third Dose- 2nd July, Animec Pour On

COWS
    Single Dose- 23rd April, Albex Drench

Any thoughts, ideas etc. are greatly appreciated ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭the al kid

Locky,
    presuming you dosed the stores at housing then IMO your programme for the stores is way over the top.I would give a blackleg vaccine at or before turnout followed by the booster at the specified interval.I wouldnt worm dose till end of June and move to "clean" pasture.You have to allow a certain amount of exposure to parasites to allow immunity to build up and IMO your programme wouldnt allow this to happen.A couple of dung samples submitted to the lab from the worst thrivers will confirm if you are on the right track.This approach will save you money ,hassle and also slow down development of resistance to the worm doses on the market-even though there are many of these they all belong to three families of basic drug.Also if the cows were dosed at housing I wouldnt do them till next housing if at all-again a dung sample will steer you in the right direction.However if in doubt with any of the above consult your vet-he will know farm history and advise accordingly.

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Cheers for the advice Al, i was basing my plans on Justin McCarthy's advice in the journal last Thursday.
    Where can you get dung samples tested?
    As regards my plans, they're purely speculative and i'm open to all suggestions!
    the al kid wrote: »
    Locky,
    presuming you dosed the stores at housing then IMO your programme for the stores is way over the top.I would give a blackleg vaccine at or before turnout followed by the booster at the specified interval.I wouldnt worm dose till end of June and move to "clean" pasture.You have to allow a certain amount of exposure to parasites to allow immunity to build up and IMO your programme wouldnt allow this to happen.A couple of dung samples submitted to the lab from the worst thrivers will confirm if you are on the right track.This approach will save you money ,hassle and also slow down development of resistance to the worm doses on the market-even though there are many of these they all belong to three families of basic drug.Also if the cows were dosed at housing I wouldnt do them till next housing if at all-again a dung sample will steer you in the right direction.However if in doubt with any of the above consult your vet-he will know farm history and advise accordingly.

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭the al kid

Locky,

I think the article is referring to bucket reared calves in their FIRST season at grass--I was presuming yours had been at grass in 2010 and because of the reference to cows that they were suckled.Your vet will submit samples on your behalf to the nearest lab that carries this out but I would certainly tap into his/her overall knowledge of your farm and the general area .

Cheers Al

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rahin man

Locky

This dosing plan usually works for me:

Wait till they start coughing

Then say "fcuk it they need a dose"

Then wait a week...

Then go to the vets get the dose. (anything other than a pour on is work)

Leave the dose in the jeep another week till the kids find it..

Then wonder why you bought the dose because they have stopped coughing at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

rahin man wrote: »
    Locky

Then wait a week...

Then wonder why you bought the dose because they have stopped coughing at this stage

good man Rahin man:D,

Reckon you'd get an article with the journal and/or farming independent on tuesday with that good solid proactive strategy/approach that you have developed there:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Locky

Then wait a week...

The only bit you missed was 9 to 12 mths later scratching your head wondering is out of date doses ok!

Tell Ya, far more realistic and workable plan than some of the advice you see in the printed media!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rahin man

Thanks for that lads.

I went drinking last night and came up with a radical plan for dosing..

Stomach worms spend part of their lifecycle maturing in a snail.

So we got to take the fcukers out.....

Dust the pastures with a molluscide.

Or buy a thousand geese clip their wings and let them eat the snails before the cattle get into the paddock.

Keep the suggestions coming lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

Thanks for that lads.

I went drinking last night and came up with a radical plan for dosing..

Stomach worms spend part of their lifecycle maturing in a snail.

So we got to take the fcukers out.....

Dust the pastures with a molluscide.

Or buy a thousand geese clip their wings and let them eat the snails before the cattle get into the paddock.

Keep the suggestions coming lads...

I think it would be easier just to buy some dosing when it's needed and then dose them, i can't afford to buy stuff and then just fcuk it in the jeep for the summer heat to destroy it.

as for the plan locky i can't fault it but i'd just go for two doses for the stores just spread them out a bit further and delay the first to six weeks after turn out.

Advertisement