Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pasture topper ?????

Options
  • 16-03-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Yey guys looking for second hand topper under 1000€ must be 8ft no less and must have 4 blades . What is better fully offset .or trailed? we would be topping normal flat pasture and also some rougher boggy type ground ?
    will be secondhand anyway and doesnt mater if work needed .What makes are good and what should we stay clear of ?

bk1991

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Fully offset are better for pasture topping. We have the trailed and whatever the tyres go over that topper wont cut properly. Plenty good for just thistles and the dreaded RUSHES though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

sorry to say this but i reckon if you only pay 1K for an 8ft topper, you are either getting a very well mnded old one or a hacked one.

They are going the run of 1600-1800 for any sort of a decent one now even out of season.
    I just bought an 8ft offset abbey myself last week (3yr old) for 1800 and had to work hard to get it for that. I had been looking for about a month and it was the best I saw.

My only advice to you would be rather than spending 1K and having bother and getting parts/ new rotors etc later in the season, try and go the bit extra for a good fresh one.
    p.s. no matter what you go for, stay clear of the belt type ones, nothing but bother imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

TUBBY wrote: »
    I just bought an 8ft offset abbey myself last week (3yr old)

Congrats! Is it on the lift? Are you sure it's 8' and not 7'? Did you buy that one in ballinasloe on thedealer.ie?
    The Abbey are a great machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

one in need of reapir is what i am looking for .have time on my hands and all the equitment for repairing one only parts that would need to get is gearboxes etc ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

bk1991 wrote: »
    one in need of reapir is what i am looking for .have time on my hands and all the equitment for repairing one only parts that would need to get is gearboxes etc ....

if you are happy to buy a new gear box to do up an old one, then you may as well make one from scratch. Fella I know made a carbon copy of a Connor machine few years back. Used much heavier material all round. Then had it galvanized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

Tora Bora wrote: »
    if you are happy to buy a new gear box to do up an old one, then you may as well make one from scratch. Fella I know made a carbon copy of a Connor machine few years back. Used much heavier material all round. Then had it galvanized.

what did her make ? a trailer or an off set ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

bk1991 wrote: »
    what did her make ? a trailer or an off set ?

He made a semi offset. Measured up a brand new one just bought be a cousin of his and made a copy, but used heavier material all round. Had it hot dipped. Saw it working last summer. Excellent cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Muckit wrote: »
    Congrats! Is it on the lift? Are you sure it's 8' and not 7'? Did you buy that one in ballinasloe on thedealer.ie?
    The Abbey are a great machine.

no, bought private of a local lad. it very well minded and i knew the machine.
    it an 8 foot alright muckit, they are a nice machine alright. only one downside i saw was that they rust handy and look shook enough compared to the majors/ conors after a few years. mechanically though, spot on.

Advertisement