Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hub suggestions?

• 05-03-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Hey - just looking for some hub suggestions.

I've a set of '08 cosmic carbones that have been working lovely with 10 speed gearing but due to the shape of newer 11 speed cassettes has been giving issues. A spacer is required to stop the cassette rubbing off the hub body and once fitted puts the 11 speed cassette at a point where the lockring and chain is rubbing off the drop out when in the high gear. Not something you want happening long term so the wheels have seen little use, something I want to change.

So I shot an email Mavic during the week, explained the story & asked if they'd be happy to allow the wheel to be sent in to one of their service centres to have the hub upgraded to an 11 speed friendly one, no warranty or repair claim and at my expense - probably a no hoper but what's to lose in emailing them.

Anyhow, funds really aren't there for anything but addressing the hub (i.e. changing the whole wheel isn't an option) so I'm on the look out for a 20 hole campy 11 compatible rear hub to rebuild the wheel on just in case Mavic aren't inclined to help out.

If anyone has any suggestions for hubs that might fit the bill I'd be happy to hear them - my google-fu seems weak these days but from what I can gather Campy 20 hole rear hubs seem to be rare things...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Just resurrecting this thread briefly before it sinks back into obscurity.

Just got my wheel back from Mavic Service UK with a 2011 hub and all new spokes (effectively making it a 2011 wheel I guess) - just whacked the 11 speed cassette on and onto the bike - perfect!

It's a pricey job but worth it if you want to avoid the more expensive option of buying a completely new rear wheel if going from 10 to 11 speed campag.

The experience of getting the job one has been a mixed one - excellent with the Mavic end of it but poor with the Irish dealer end.

I contacted Mavic directly to query if the job could be done and they passed my email over to the manager of their UK service centre - who has been really excellent to deal with - who started the ball rolling. The initial plan was to send the wheel to the UK via my nearest Mavic dealer, which I was informed was a certain shop in Limerick in involved in all sorts of Cycling Pursuits.

Cleared the plan with the shop owner, drove to the shop leaving the wheel with him and left to wait for word that the wheel had returned after being worked on. Weeks passed and no word so I emailed the shop to find that the wheel was where exactly? Still in the shop! Apparently the owner had had some difficulty ordering wheels from Mavic after taking my wheel and so decided to burn the customer (me), not send the wheel away as agreed and not inform me either. Cue another drive to Limerick and back to collect the wheel. Time wasted and more diesel burned on nothing.

Back onto the very helpful Mavic Service Center manager by email; plan hatched within 15 minutes - courier the wheel over, wheel will be worked on and payment figured out at the end (though JHI). Took maybe a fortnight between leaving the wheel with the courier, the hub and spokes being ordered (they confirm the cost before doing the job), the job done and wheel returned.

So, two big thumbs up for Mavic UK and two big thumbs down for a certain unprofessional Limerick bike shop never to get the smallest custom from me again in the future.

Now to get the kit ready - Kerry TT league starts tonight, hadn't thought about going but now that there's a new wheel to test out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Kerry TT league.
    Is this by private invite.
    Have seen nothing about it posted on an site?

Killorglin CC seem to be the drivers behind it though it is run just outside Tralee on the Castleisland road (deep inside Chain Gang, Currow CC, Earl of Desmond and Tralee CC territory :p)

The details as I received them yesterday:
    TT series starting wednesday this week 11.05.11. The series will run for 6 consecutive weeks and on the 7th week we will be holding the Kerry TT championships on the same course.

The distance is 20km and the course starts on the road to castleisland just beyond the Earl of Desmond traffic island, turns at the first island which is the junction with the new castleisland bypass and retraces to the start.

Entry fee is €10 per race or €50 for all 7 events including the Kerry Championships.

Non cycling Ireland members can purchase a day licence for the series of 7 events for a discounted price of €20 (normally €10 per event).
    Sign on between 5.45 until 6.45 at the Earl of Desmond Car Park with first man off at 7pm.

Please circulate this event information to all your members, this course is very flat and the road surface is excellent so should produce some fast times and offer ideal speed training.

Plenty weeks left to train up for taking the TT champs title ROK_ON!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Ya for the. Info.
    Hopefully next week.

Re. TT league - just heard back from passing clubmate, short notice seems to have impacted severely on turnout. Guessing next week will see it kick off in earnest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I like the way you phrased the name of the shop (where Patrick used to go to the well). Find it way overpriced myself. HOw much was the hub replacement by the way?

The damage from Mavic for the hub, wheel worth of spokes, building and courier return was €220 (:eek:) - still half the price of a new wheel so *just about* financially viable.

If it needed to be done to a wheel that had seen a lot of use and had a well worn rim I'd probably be sitting on the fence whether to rebuild or replace.

Re. the name of the shop [subliminal messaging]that's into all those Cycling Pursuits where Patrick used go to the well[/subliminal messaging] - I couldn't possibly guess what what you mean...:p Can't recommend it for much other than time and money wasting based on my experience though

Advertisement