Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I get my accent back?

Options
  • 04-03-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi, I moved to Ireland 9 years ago when I was 8 from South Africa. And my accent is nearly gone :( It is still there to the point that people identify it as an English accent. So it is nearly gone.
    I am going to back to South Africa for a holiday for a month after my leaving cert. Would that be enough time to reclaim it to the point it is recognised as a SA accent as I don't think it would take too long to get it back because I used to talk like it. I just feel that I am losing my link to SA :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'd say that it would be enough time to undo the "dammage"(!) of the Irish accent. I recently spent a month in Canada, and (mainly because I liked imitating the accent) I found myself starting to speak a little bit like them. So, seeing as how you used to speak with a SA accent, I'm sure you'll pick it back up after a month. It'll take a concerted effort, though, on your return to maintain it.

Advertisement