Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kill out percentage at factory

Options
  • 18-02-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

hi all just wondering do many people weight there cattle before the send them to the factory and if so what sort of a kill out percentage do ye get
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Quader
    How are things. yeah, I weigh the cattle and it depends on the class of animal etc but generally round 53-56% would be the norm for them (bullocks). The plainer lads being 53% and decent continentals being 56%
    thats why I have a bit of an issue with Moyvalley cause my % kill out was lower the two times i sent cattle there.

Bulls should be higher killout and heifers less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

TUBBY wrote: »
    .......thats why I have a bit of an issue with Moyvalley cause my % kill out was lower the two times i sent cattle there.
    Would you not hang around and see the cattle being killed? It's a few years since I've done it now, but I'd watch the weights as they were been recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

I didnt with Moyvalley but i know a few people locally so would have the same opinion. they go harder on the carcass than most factories by the looks of it.

When it only a part time thing, hard justify getting time off work every time you are killing or marting.

Advertisement