Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Machinery website

• 13-02-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am setting up a website to sell machinery. Should be ready in the next 3-4 weeks. It is a very simple site which allows people to place ads for all agriculture machinery for free. For anyone that has advertised on similar sites what was you experience. Did you find them easy to use? where you able to sell your machine ? any bad expience ?

Any help would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

Hi all,

I am setting up a website to sell machinery. Should be ready in the next 3-4 weeks. It is a very simple site which allows people to place ads for all agriculture machinery for free. For anyone that has advertised on similar sites what was you experience. Did you find them easy to use? where you able to sell your machine ? any bad expience ?

done deal will b hard to compete against but best of luck wit it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi all,

How are you going to make money out of it??

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

I will let people advertise for free until such time I feell I can start charging,must start some where. I will also be looking at banner advertising as we do know a good few dealers hopefully we will get some support for them. Its all learning curve any ideas appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I will let people advertise for free until such time I feell I can start charging,must start some where. I will also be looking at banner advertising as we do know a good few dealers hopefully we will get some support for them. Its all learning curve any ideas appreciated.

Well you have to have a catchy name, it has to be simple to use - easy to load pictures onto also. You will effectively be competing with Donedeal so you will need to offer what they offer and more. The biggest problem is getting the website off teh ground and getting people to view it because if someone loads a machine up onto it and there's nobody to view it then its like pi$$ing against the wind. Donedeal has over 250,000 hits per day, its very tempting for people to spend €3 when there's a chance of 250,000 people viewing the ad. There's 2 ways to get wiewing numbers up. 1. Have enough ads on the site and 2. Promote the site on newspapers and other sites etc.

Best of luck. many people have tried to set up sites in competition with donedeal and have failed.

The name is www.machinery.ie I bought this a while back. A friend of mine designed a site for us two years ago, but it did not work due not much effort on both sides. Times have change since then and alot more people are using the net now and I believe there is an opertunity out there for such a site if designed right. Hopefully I will have it up in the next 2 to 3 weeks so people might let me know their thoughts on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

The name is www.machinery.ie I bought this a while back. A friend of mine designed a site for us two years ago, but it did not work due not much effort on both sides. Times have change since then and alot more people are using the net now and I believe there is an opertunity out there for such a site if designed right. Hopefully I will have it up in the next 2 to 3 weeks so people might let me know their thoughts on it.

i think the secret to these sites is keeping them updated properly, farm and plant should have this area sown up but their site is so bad it lets them down, how many times have you found a machine on it, called the garage onlyto find the machine is long gone, when someone puts an add on your site it should automatically be removed after maybe 2 or 3 weeks, if they still have the item let them add it to site again after that rather than leave the add sit there forever when its actually no longer available..

I totally aggree with you. We will put adds up for 3 months email goes out every month to see if sold or not, and if no reply after the 3 months we will delete it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Best of luck with your venture.

Thanks Bizzum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Good luck with it man, I think it's a great idea, could I suggest sections for machinery services and boys toys ( remote control stuff etc)

• Advertisement
Advertisement