Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hatred of PETA thread

Options
  • 10-02-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Here's my angle on this shower. They look suspiciously like an elaborate PR scheme to undermine and discredit the whole animal advocacy movement. Where do they get the money for all their stunts and ads? Donations? Doubt it.

Why do they insist on being so ridiculously offensive and hypocritical? They exploit women in order to make a point about the exploitation of animals. You don't see feminists doing the opposite do you? Have a look at http://vegansagainstpeta.blogspot.com while I'm on the topic. Also they draw parallels between the Holocaust and human slavery and animal exploitation, which according to some accounts has made death camp survivors physically sick when they've seen it. Not long ago, they protested a pedigree dog show dressed in KKK robes. PETA also use tactics suspiciously similar to the forced birth (so-called "pro-life") movement, with graphic pictures of animal victims of slaughter and experimentation.

And on and on. So many people have grievances against this crowd of vermin. A quick skim through Google will give many more examples.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PETA are the extremists of the animal welfare world. They've taken the topic of animal welfare to a new (and frankly ridiculous) level.

I don't think they exploit women at all, in fact it's somewhat "trendy" for famous women to associate themselves with PETA in this way. To a certain extent the graphic nature of their videos does serve a purpose in showing people the horrific things which are done in order to stick that KFC bucket under their noses.

But then you dig deeper into PETA and you find the absolutely batsh*t crazy stuff. Such as condemning the use of guide dogs for the blind as "exploitation" - which is IMO a symbiotic relationship between dog and human and few dogs are treated better than guide dogs.

They are trendy in the U.S. and get large amounts of money from wealthy individuals, particularly on the west coast. I imagine the majority of these people know little of PETA except, "They like animals and so do I". The same kind of people who will donate to the ISPCA on the basis that they are an animal welfare organisation, unaware that the ISPCA (in some areas) run dog pounds and routinely put dogs down who are unclaimed/unhomed.

I'm sure they also have the problem of hijacking, where extremists will do things in PETA's name purely to give themselves some form of credibility, despite not actually being part of PETA.

I think in society we have a particular problem with people applying human morality onto animals. So dogs who bite are "tried" and executed, foxes are considered "vermin" because they scavenge and so forth.
    PETA have taken this to the other extreme and applied human rights onto animals such that animals should not be worked, for example. This is of course crazy because animals are incapable of understanding the concept of morality. A lion will kill and eat a man because it's hungry. There is no "right" or "wrong" here, the lion cannot be subject to retribution because it's incapable of understanding the concept.

So IMO PETA are just the other side of the crazy coin. Instead of focussing on simply recognising that there's no specific problem with humans co-existing with animals and using them for appropriate applications, without causing suffering for the animal, they believe that animals are due the same level of rights as humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Good point in that last paragraph. I don't eat chickens or their eggs, but I'd have no problem with getting a few to run around the vegetable patch eating pests and fertilising it with their ****e, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭awesom_o

PETA are disgraceful and give vegetarians/vegans a bad name.

Look you only need to watch their 'advertising' to see what headcases they are. And what weird double standards they have. They will stop at nothing to protect animal rights yet, they have no problems objectifying women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdPRlHB4Os

wtfffff ^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

They really do give all veg*ns a bad name. So many people think that we are all extremist headcases because of some of their actions. Whilst I'm behind the idea of them (animal rights), they have the completely wrong way of going about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think this sums up Peta fairly well
    Picture-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

PETA are media whores-they know it and that is why you are talking about them today.
    Many many many many people attribute their change of heart to PETA's great work.

Watch this (there are 9 parts) then be judgemental:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjYr4BSpYZE&feature=related

Advertisement