Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worst to eat some animals compared to others?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,196 ✭✭✭✭

Not a great thread title, but bare with me.
    I don't want this to descend into a debate over eating meat vrs a vegetarian diet. This isn't the place, and it's pretty futile. I'm jsut looking for opinions, hopefully sensible ones.

Basically, i'm not vegetarian. A friend of mine is. She mainly doesn't like the taste/texture, but is also on board with animal rights (I don't think that's really relevant, but said i'd mention it). She isn't one to be very vocal about her choices, its her personal choice, just as it is for me to eat meet. So she never has a problem with me eating meat, with her, in front of her etc.

Ok, so the other day i was making my dinner, was just plating it up and somebody basically asked "What's that?"

"It's kangaroo steak. Got it in woolies" (I live in australia btw)

Now, my other friend was nearby and at first thought I was joking. She obvious doesn't go into the meat section, and has never seen it before. She was a bit taken back when she realised that I was serious.

"I can't believe you're eating Kangaroo",
    "What? You know i eat meat, you have no problem with me eating meat, if this was beef you would bat an eyelid"
    "Yeah, but kangaroo is different"

So, i was wondering. In the opinions of V&V regualars, is it?
    Obviously we ended up taking about it, and she sort of eased back from her initial shock, but I still felt she thought it was worse than beef.

My arguments were as follows;

There is no difference in to taste/texture, so there shouldn't be an issue for vegetarian from that point of view.

Cute cuddy 'Roo: You're just allow skippy or the kangaroo from winnie the poo to project an image into your head. This isn't some special kangaroo from dublin zoo. The reality, thay are big, smelly, and dangerous animals that cause traffic accidents.
    We're in australia, there are loads of them, and in actual fact there is an overpopulation issue. 1000s are culled each year for population. This has to be disposed of anyway (FYI:or ends up in pet food). So choosing kangaroo over beef actually means less animals are killed.
    AFAIK, the kangaroos are wild, but are far far more 'free range" than any cattle farmed back in ireland. From that position, the animals have a much more natural life.
    From an environmental standpoint, they generate far less methane and also are less damaging to landscape. I've had friends who limit consumption of meat for this reason, so I also mentinoed it.

So that's basically it. So is it worse, or are they no different?
    Would any of you (who are friends with people who regualr eat meat with/near you) have been shocked also.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Roo is gorgeous.

I do an EPIC RooBurger on the BBQ.

I would take the position that it is More Wrong to persist with Beef and Pork when we have Roo and Camel.
    Cattle and Sheep are more destructive than Kangaroo or Camel.

You should have pointed out to your friend that AFAIK Australia is the only country in the world with an edible Coat of Arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Roo can be a bit tough but its about 98% fat free, best to marinade and grilled on the BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Sheep:- I do not want to eat something that may contain my own semen.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Sheep:- I do not want to eat something that may contain my own semen.

Do you ever wonder why your wood is crinkled? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

mercy-billboard.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

I'm not going to eat animal flesh, full stop. I long ago ceased to regard it as food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Mellor wrote: »
    There is no difference in to taste/texture, so there shouldn't be an issue for vegetarian from that point of view.

Human flesh tastes like pork. Therefore cannibalism is equivalent to eating pork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

This is the vegan & vegetarian forum. This sort of discussion is not called for in here.
    Vegetarians and vegans (the title of this forum) do not eat any meat.

Take this to a debating forum, After Hours or elsewhere if you wish.

sweet-rasmus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement