Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian restaurant in Dublin with decent veg options

Options
  • 23-01-2011 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi

I have to say I've been quite underwhelmed with veg options in Indian restaurants here in Galway........ way overpriced dishes that go overboard on spuds and cauliflower and v few with lentils/beans/chickpeas/paneer. (Mind you, I gave up on them a few years ago so if anyone local does have any recommendations.......??)

Anyway I'll be in Dublin in a couple of weeks with a mate (vegan) and would really like to try out a Indian restaurant that has an extensive veg option. No recommendations on happycow.net except for Govindas which is great for lunchtimes, but looking for something more for the evening.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions ........... centre of city preferable.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

There are two that I can think of that some of us frequent every now and again that do mostly vegetarian dishes:

Shan which is on Crow St. in Temple Bar and Madina which is on Mary St, 1 min walk from Henry St.

Maybe some other posters can direct you to some others, but I've found both of these places to have delicious food, nice clean interiors and good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Banjara

Wow, that was quick!!! Thanks, Master of Nothing ....... will check those out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Monsoon in Rathmines is pretty good. Even better if you ring ahead.

http://www.indian.ie/rathmines/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Be careful of going to indian restaurants with a vegan. I love indian restauarants (especially madina on mary St) but a lot of their curries, while vegetarian, would contain milk or cream. I'm pretty sure naan bread usually contains dairy too.

Be careful of going to indian restaurants with a vegan. I love indian restauarants (especially madina on mary St) but a lot of their curries, while vegetarian, would contain milk or cream. I'm pretty sure naan bread usually contains dairy too.

I was assuming vegetarian rather than vegan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I was assuming vegetarian rather than vegan.

Yeah, I think the op is vegetarian, but he said his mate was a vegan, so I was just pointing out something for his friend to be careful of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Banjara

You're right, Mark, I'm veggie and she's vegan (only recent) and I've just realised (doh!) that of course hardly anything is vegan in Indian restaurants if they cook with ghee........... might have to think up an alternative.

When I spent some time in India, the only way of assuring vegan friendly food was to go to restaurants run by those practising Jainism (sp?) ............ can't imagine that there are any those over here .......... no harm though to call one of the above restaurants and ask if they can cater for vegans!! :)

Yeah, I think the op is vegetarian, but he said his mate was a vegan, so I was just pointing out something for his friend to be careful of.

ah sound... I didn't spot that. Apologies.
    I must get a refund from that speed reading course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

If you ring in advance I'm sure they would be happy to prepare a vegan meal. You'd probably be alright turning up and saying it on the day, but out of courtesy you should give them a little warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

yeah they should look after you if you let them know in advance, my local takeaway does that for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

There's a place called Konkan on Clanbrassil St, it's a little bit down from Christchurch, but the 16 and 16a stop right outside it. They do loads of vegetarian, and a lot of those can be prepared as vegan if you ask them (it says so on the menu :D) I used to go here loads, unfortunately they seemed to have changed chef recently and I'm not as mad about it anymore, but my boyfriend still loves it so I guess it's just me.

Bombay Pantry takeaways also have several options that can be prepared as vegan if you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dublin Vegetarian Reviewer

Maloti in the city centre, especially if you order a few veg sides instead of one big meal. can't go wrong. nicer than most Indian restuarants for a sit down meal, too.

Advertisement